Powerconsumption revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerconsumption revisited

I came over a rather nice website that gives an approximation of your PCs powerconsumption, Fill in the variables and press calculate to see if your system has the required powersupply rating.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Re: Powerconsumption revisited

Wee, they recommend 286watts for me.

A Core 2 Duo E6400
    A Geforce 7900GS
    A Soundblaster Audigy 4
    2 sticks of DDR2 RAM
    2 DVD drives
    2 SATA drives
    4 120mm fans
    Last edited by sordavie; 12-26-2006, 10:14 AM. Reason: specs

Comment

Uh they recommend 577W for me. I'm running a 500W PSU that I have had for a very long time. I used to have plenty of head room but I added some devices that ate up the extra power.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

They recommended 788W for me. Not sure how I'm going to pull that one off!
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I've used that PSU calculator before. It over-estimates the wattage needed by so much as to approach silliness. The author defends his calculations by saying that he wants to play it safe, and we should also note that most PSU companies vastly over-estimate their unit's capabilities, but I'd prefer to have a more honest assessment of my actual wattage needs and then be able to go from there. There are some PSU companies, for instance, which accurately state (FSP) or even underestimate (PCP&C) their PSU's capabilities.

Keep in mind, also, that the amperage - particularly on the 12V rails - is where most people fall short.

Edit: I wanted to add something, because I don't want to be overly harsh. The calculator is pretty decent (but it does still overestimate!) until one accounts for Surge Compensation and Capacitor Aging. Now, I frankly do not know the importance of these two items, so it's not really fair for me to comment on the legitimacy or any lack thereof regarding them. But it seems a bit suspect that my wattage requirements go from a slightly unreasonable (and probably overestimated) 500W to a somewhat insane (and definitely way way overestimated) 655W by adding minimal values for surge compensation and capacitor aging.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Hm, why does it have my estimate at such a low value?

Comment

I figured as much. I spent a lot of time researching my PSU before I bought it and it still has plenty of current sourcing ability available on the 12v rail. I just don't know how much the dvd RW drives use current wise.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                I figured as much. I spent a lot of time researching my PSU before I bought it and it still has plenty of current sourcing ability available on the 12v rail. I just don't know how much the dvd RW drives use current wise.
                Most of them use around 1.5A-2.0A on the 12V rail on spin-up, and about 0.5A on the 5V rail.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Speaking of power, I've been having an issue w/my pc for sometime that is just downright annoying. When I turn on my rig, when the windows screen appears, it does it's thing for a few seconds, then the screen goes black. It sounds as if my hard drive stopped spinning, then it spins back up and i get to the windows login screen and everything is fine. I figured I wasn't getting enough juice since I have a lot of peripherals plugged in as well. I was using an Ultra 600w psu, then i got this and put it in. I'm still getting the same symptoms even though I've unplugged most of my peripherals and taken out my other 7800gt. I'm thinking it's my hard drive now. What do you guys think?
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

I say it is highly unlikely that this is a powerissue. If you had a powerissue you would likely see a bluescreen or an instant shutdown/restart. My best guess is a driver initialization that times out combined with your graphicscard switching to your windows resolution(windows start up in 640x480 intially if I´m not mistaken).

My powerating for a barebone system with a Geforce 6800 ultra, serial ATA disks / 6 USB units and two firewire units and 2 sticks of DDR ram gave me a sensible 388 Watts proposal. I´d say that is spot on for me.

I´ve not added anything to the surge compensation and capasitor aging.
                    --

Comment

How do I go about fixing this? Like I said, it's not a big deal, but it delays my bootup by somtimes +30-60 seconds.

Specs:
                      Asus a8n 32 SLI delux
                      4400+ cpu
                      evga 7800gt
                      Antec truepower 650w
                      seagate barracuda 200gb
                      creative x-fi platinum
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Check out Bootvis, it is a boot optimalization tool from Microsoft. It allows you to time devicedriver bootup times and order them in a sensible way. It would also help you to spot which devicedriver might be the culprit.

Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664
                        --

Comment

Nice. That sounds like something I need. Thanks Panzer! I'll check it out when I get home.
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Claw -I have a nvidia 7800GT and I believe it is a nvidia driver issue. I don't know, maybe they clear video memory or play it safe by inserting empty loops in their code. Reason is that this behavior (screen blanks after 'windows is starting up' and HDD does nothing for endless (10-20s) time) started after installing the nvidia drivers.
                            nvidia is really loosing me as a customer for their bad software.

Please post what that Bootvis tool tells you!

Comment

Well Panzer and Marstein, here's a screen shot of Bootvis. I let it boot a few times consecutively just to see what happens and this is the result.

|TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...