• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Shortcuts in cmd

I'm trying to be able to go:

C:\>x:
    X:\>cd nsdir.lnk
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Valve\Steam\steamapps\UserName\h alf-life\ns\>...

I've got it to where I can execute explorer to open the given directory in the Windows shell, but I can't actually get cmd to browse to it via a link like that.

I think I remember that in Linux you could create simlinks to folders. Not sure if anybody knows a way to do this in Windows, but since the last time I asked for help here, it was so good, I thought I'd bother you all again.

In any case, thanks for your time.

Re: Folder Shortcuts in cmd

command line doesn't know what a .lnk file is.

Create a text file with

c:
    cd\Documents and Settings\YourName\Valve\Steam\steamapps\UserName\h alf-life\ns\>...

save it as "a.bat"

put it in your root drive or any system folder.

At the dos prompt type "a" then hit enter.

Well, at least that would work in the old version of DOS. Give it a shot and see if it still does.

Comment

Awesome.

The final syntax ends up being:

Code:
      @ECHO OFF
      driveletter:
      cd\
      cd dir1\dir2\
      Thanks again.

Comment

if you put the batch file in the "Windows" directory then you can execute it from any directory without having to add it to your path.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Just skimmed the thread, but Google 'junctions' for symlink-like behavior in Windows. I know SysInternals has a utility.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies View Post
            Awesome.

The final syntax ends up being:

Code:
            @ECHO OFF
            driveletter:
            cd\
            cd dir1\dir2\
            Thanks again.
            Glad it worked, just as a heads up:

cd\
            cd dir1\dir2\

is sort of a waste of a line.
            Just doing:

cd\Documents and Settings\YourName\Valve\Steam\steamapps\UserName\h alf-life\ns\>...

does the same as those two lines. There is no need to cd\ back into the root directory.

Also, you can obviously rename "a.bat" to whatever you want to type to navigate to that folder. EX: rename it to "ns.bat".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X