Podcast Download software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcast Download software

This is just a continuance of my last post about RSS readers, but what are you using to download podcasts? I imagine alot of folks probably use ITunes, but for those of us who aren't crazy about iTunes (or the iPod), what are you using for podcasts?

Like RSS Readers, I've just about tried them all, but I've settled on two Podcast Receivers, both free:

1) Ziepod (http://www.ziepod.com/)

2) Doppler (http://www.dopplerradio.net/)

Ziepod is the new kid on the block and is really a nice piece of software. The only downside to the current version is that the ID3 tag editing is fairly limited. I was especially impressed with the programmers when, after I e-mailed some suggestions about ID3 tags, I received a personal e-mail within an hour. They liked the ideas and were seriously considering them for inclusion in v1.0. We'll see.

Doppler is pretty good, with decent ID3 tag support. Unfortunately, its relatively buggy, and crashes on me once every two or three times. I'm using it primarily for its ID3 tag support.

Most RSS readers (like Omea Reader and FeedDemon) have enclosure downloading capability for podcasts, but have zero ID3 tag support. Most podcasters seem to be technically savvy enough to create high-quality, professional podcasts, but haven't mastered the simple task of editing the Album, Artist, and genre fields consistently.

For those NOT using iTunes...what do you like? Not harshing the iPod, but after buying an 80GB iPod Video....well, let's just say I've sworn off the Apple product line for a while.
    |TG| HOUDINI

Re: Podcast Download software

ITunes isn't really that simple for subscribing to podcasts but after that's done it's pretty easy. I'm sure there are some great podcast oriented programs out there but I'm too used to using iTunes. Plus, I actually like it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

My deal is: I'm too nitpicky about how my tags and filenames are arranged, so I want a Podcast Receiver that will automatically build tags based on my parameters. So far, nobody has made it yet. Of course, I'm what you call a podcast "Power-User"...I've found a ton of astronomy related podcasts and political radio shows that keep me entertained on the drive to work.

I like my podcasts to be named (filename, and Tag Title) a certain way so it's easily found on my computer and MP3 player. For example, I want each podcast's name to be prefaced with the date...like '061227 This is a Podcast.mp3'. The date is from the feed, not the day I downloaded. This way I can sort them...and have a general idea when they were created.

I like having all my podcasts with the same Artist name, like 'Podcasts'...then each podcast feed has its own Album. So on my MP3 player, all I have to do is scroll to artist 'Podcast', then pick the feed (album) underneath. Perhaps I'm a little to obsessive/compulsive about it...but it was KILLING me trying to find the latest podcasts without having to go to a "playlist".

Anyway, until the new version of Ziepod comes out, I'll just keep using Doppler and Tag&Rename to keep everything sorted.
      |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Man, you are picky...

I generally just use wget and shove them in ~/Podcasts, then delete them when I have listened to/watched them.
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Do you still have your iPod? I find it does pretty much what you want. It sorts my podcasts according to date with the most recent at the top. All podcasts that are subscribed through iTunes get put in a separate Podcast category then separated by the podcast's name. If the podcast tags their files correctly, there really isn't any problem using any player or software to organize the files.

If you like using the software you got and want Windows Explorer drag and drop, check out Rockbox. It "replaces" the Apple firmware (you can still boot to original firmware to watch videos). Then you can drag and drop like other MP3 players and organize your files the way you want.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X