I need a sound card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a sound card

As the title says I need a sound card. I have been making do with onboard sound for a long time and I am finally annoyed by having to waste CPU cycles on sound. The card I am looking for needs to handle hardware sound acceleration. I don't want the CPU to handle the sound anymore. I would prefer it to be PCI as I am using both PCIe slots and I want it to be in the chassis instead of USB. Last it needs to be under $50 since I am on a tight budget. Does anyone have a recommendation? I prefer to deal with Newegg so if they carry the card it would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah Linux support would be a plus.
    Last edited by Wimpinator; 12-27-2006, 12:53 AM. Reason: added linux cause I'm cool like 'dat
    Retired 6th DB

Re: I need a sound card

I have an Audigy 2 value. Pretty happy with it.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Hmm this looks like it fits the bill:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102011

Audigy 4 SE $49. Does anyone have this card? Should I be looking at something else?
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

WhiskeySix has an Audigy 4...

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have an Audigy 4. Pretty happy with it.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Audigy 4 is a good card, but you might be able to find something better than the SE version. Check around places like www.buy.com that uses google checkout where you might be able to use google cash on anything over $50.

Comment

What is the difference between the Audigy 4 and the Audigy 4 SE?
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

I have been pretty happy with my X-Fi Xtrememusic card.
                Or you can step up to the Xtremegamer Fatality series that is on sale from newegg.com right now for 145 and a $30 mail in rebate. They also have the Platinum for 175 with a $50 MIR.

fatality link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...829102005#spec

Platinum link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102190

Comment

The SE and Value cards usually don't have the full hardware acceleration that the regular cards have. Same with the Live 24-bit cards, IIRC. X-Fi cards don't have Linux support because Creative won't play nicely with developers.

Creative Labs has an eBay store that sells refurbished stuff -- probably a good place to look. http://stores.ebay.com/Creative-Labs...enameZL2QQtZkm
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                    What is the difference between the Audigy 4 and the Audigy 4 SE?
                    The Audigy 4SE is almost identical to the Audigy 2 value: no fire wire port, no gold connectors, no frills. AFAIK, the «audio processor» part of the card is identical to an Audigy 4.

DB

| |

Comment

Welll I still haven't bought a card. I may pick this up this weekend:
                      http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1156203598151

I have a 10% off coupon + $5.00 in reward zone certificates. I could get this card for $60.79 plus tax.

I assume that it has the hardware acceleration that I need.
                      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Go for it! You'll be ready for some EAX support in Vista and experience the latest sound effects in games.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Well it's a good card, and it does have a audio processor (aka a DSP).

If you want to have future support for any upcoming hit titles, and want good sound to boot, you might want to spend more and get an X-Fi card. Some games already support SB's Adv. HD v.2 sound instead of the original v.1.

That card should last another 2 years before it becomes useless in modern gaming.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                            Welll I still haven't bought a card. I may pick this up this weekend:
                            http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1156203598151
                            http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...-Creative_Labs

No Linux support..
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                            | for | |

Comment

Yeah I noticed that after I posted. Well it looks like it's going to be the Audigy 4 SE for me. Even though it gets the mixed reports I can't really afford much more. Oh well.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X