Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front USB ports not working...any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front USB ports not working...any ideas?

I have a Dell 8300. I was using the front USB ports for my Plantronics headset for BF2 and suddenly it stopped working. I thought it was something wrong with the headset. But I plugged the headset into a back usb port and it worked fine--although its very inconvenient cuz my Dell is in an armoire. So, I pulled it out of its cubby and unplugged the usb cable on both ends. I plugged them back in and made sure they were connected properly. Still nothing. And other USB devices are not working either. Has the MB crapped out or is there something I can do in bios???

thanks!

Re: Front USB ports not working...any ideas?

Check the connections inside the case. One of the wires may have come loose.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't explain that more clearly. I did open the case and disconnect the cable from inside the front panel and the usb controller chip on the MB and then made sure they were connected properly. I think I've come to a realization that we have zapped it either with static electricity or by removing the headset and ipod usb cables while the computer was on ("hot" removal). Thanks

Comment

If you have a multimeter, check that cable that connects the mobo header to the front case. Maybe that cable has been damaged.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

thanks Sarc. I don't have a multimeter but maybe I'll pick up a new cable and see what happens. Plan b will be to plug a USB ext./ hub in the back so we can plug in without having to move the pc out every time. I appreciate the help.

Comment

When you open the case to remove/add/modify anything in your case, always turn off the power, unplug the power cable from the PSU (after flipping the switch to off), then put on a anti-static wrist band or just touch the metal part of the case often (to prevent static electricity from going into the parts).

Is the Dell system still covered under warranty? And you mentioned it is in an "armoir" case...I presume that is not the original case?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X