Motherboard ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard ?

To make a long story short, my motherboard needs to be replaced as it's causing my processor fans to blow like a hair dryer. I am having a tech rep replace the motherboard.

Will I lose any of my games, files, etc. when the motherboard is replaced? Does the motherboard effect memory on a PC?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Motherboard ?

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
    To make a long story short, my motherboard needs to be replaced as it's causing my processor fans to blow like a hair dryer. I am having a tech rep replace the motherboard.

Will I lose any of my games, files, etc. when the motherboard is replaced? Does the motherboard effect memory on a PC?
    Im no expert but i dont think so. All your games and files are stored on your hard drive.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

No but you will need to install the drivers for the new mobo once you install it. You do need to do a backup of the HDD before you install it to make sure you have backups if something goes wrong.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

I also need to get a new motherboard because the one I have in this Dell has old school PCI slots and is killing me and I am looking to go PCI-E. As far as vid card is concerned. I have the highest card Nvidia makes more PCI which is my 6200 and it has served me fine till now. I am unable to play Armed Assualt or Rainbow 6 Vegas. I don;t know much when it comes to this stuff and would love for some help guys. I'm not looking for anything too expensive but just enough to get the job done. If someone could please be ask kind to tell me what motherboard I need or how to figure out based on what comp I have I would really appreciate it. These are my specs hopefully some of you can help a fellow TG'er out!!

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
        System Model: Dimension 3000
        BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
        Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
        Memory: 1278MB RAM

if there is any other info you need to help find a proper motherboard let me know. THANKS in advance guys!!!!!!!!
        PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

If the motherboard is EXACTLY the same you shouldn't worry - that much. Back up everything regardless.

If it is a different motherboard with the same chipset, I would do this:
          Switch the IDE Controller drivers to "standard" before the swap takes place. Or the new motherboard will not recognize your HD. Then when the new MB is in, just update the IDE drivers for the current MB.

If it is a MB with a different chipset. I would do fresh install for less chance of problems and optimal performance. You may be able to get away with just changing the IDE drivers like the example above, but it is not recommended and will cause problems.

Back up everything!

Does the motherboard effect memory on a PC?
          I am assuming by memory you mean Hard Drive data?

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie420 View Post
            I also need to get a new motherboard because the one I have in this Dell has old school PCI slots and is killing me and I am looking to go PCI-E. As far as vid card is concerned. I have the highest card Nvidia makes more PCI which is my 6200 and it has served me fine till now. I am unable to play Armed Assualt or Rainbow 6 Vegas. I don;t know much when it comes to this stuff and would love for some help guys. I'm not looking for anything too expensive but just enough to get the job done. If someone could please be ask kind to tell me what motherboard I need or how to figure out based on what comp I have I would really appreciate it. These are my specs hopefully some of you can help a fellow TG'er out!!

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
            System Model: Dimension 3000
            BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
            Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
            Memory: 1278MB RAM

if there is any other info you need to help find a proper motherboard let me know. THANKS in advance guys!!!!!!!!

Not all CPU's fit in all motherboards so the first step is to identify what boards will fit with your cpu. The industry identifies different cpu's with socket numbers. I think with your intel chip you'd be looking at a socket 478 motherboard.

Most mainline computer manufacturers like Dell or HP use at least some hardware that is proprietary to their system, like a unique cpu cooling system or alternate placements for motherboard standoffs. I'm guessing here but you may not be able to purchase a skt 478 motherboard that fits in easily a Dell case. Again--a guess that should be confirmed by Dell Support You can always pick up another case but then you'd probably need to pick up a CPU cooler too. Dell has a funky system for cpu cooling you won't see anywhere else and without the Dell case you might have to go with another cooling solution.

I recommend you contact Dell support and ask if they can replace just the motherboard. They may be able to send you that one piece of hardware for a nominal fee. This would make things much easier because you'd be putting a Dell motherboard (actually made by someone else) into a Dell computer. You'd have no issues of incompatibility

I had a Dell and was quite happy with it but wanted a better gaming machine. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I built my own. It was easier than I thought and I believe anyone with a little bit of technical know how could do it too.There are a ton of online guides on doing a home build but if don't have the cash this option probably wouldn't work. I figure I saved about 40-50% off the retail price of the computer I would've bought.

Good luck.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
              Not all CPU's fit in all motherboards so the first step is to identify what boards will fit with your cpu. The industry identifies different cpu's with socket numbers. I think with your intel chip you'd be looking at a socket 478 motherboard.

Most mainline computer manufacturers like Dell or HP use at least some hardware that is proprietary to their system, like a unique cpu cooling system or alternate placements for motherboard standoffs. I'm guessing here but you may not be able to purchase a skt 478 motherboard that fits in easily a Dell case. Again--a guess that should be confirmed by Dell Support You can always pick up another case but then you'd probably need to pick up a CPU cooler too. Dell has a funky system for cpu cooling you won't see anywhere else and without the Dell case you might have to go with another cooling solution.

I recommend you contact Dell support and ask if they can replace just the motherboard. They may be able to send you that one piece of hardware for a nominal fee. This would make things much easier because you'd be putting a Dell motherboard (actually made by someone else) into a Dell computer. You'd have no issues of incompatibility

I had a Dell and was quite happy with it but wanted a better gaming machine. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I built my own. It was easier than I thought and I believe anyone with a little bit of technical know how could do it too.There are a ton of online guides on doing a home build but if don't have the cash this option probably wouldn't work. I figure I saved about 40-50% off the retail price of the computer I would've bought.

Good luck.
              I agree with everything Grunt said.

It is slim pickins on the 478 socket with PCIe x16.

It's been awile, but I think you will also need a new power supply as well. So new MB, power supply, heat sink, case, video card, why not just get the processor and memory. You can build a nice C2D rig for about $800 or less.

Comment

Hmm reading the original post I took it to mean that this is a Proprietary machine such as a Dell that he is having a repair tech come and replace the board. I could be wrong though.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                  Hmm reading the original post I took it to mean that this is a Proprietary machine such as a Dell that he is having a repair tech come and replace the board. I could be wrong though.
                  Some techs will try to save your data for you and others may just want to reinstall everything. In the end it's up to you to protect your data.

Comment

Q: Does motherboard effect memory on a PC?
                    A:Will the tech bring identical motherboard?
                    If Yes - then no effect
                    If No - then it might depending the type of Ram it supports DDR or DDR2.

Q:Will I lose any of my games, files, etc. when the motherboard is replaced?
                    A:No

Comment

Is this an identical replacement motherboard ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Thanks all, good to know.

Yes, my computer is a Dell XPS and all the parts replacement, labor, visit by a tech rep, is covered under my warranty.

I first had the heat sink replaced, then the processor fans and they have told me if that did not solve my problem then they would replace my motherboard.
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                        - Check me out on The Onion
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Thanks all, good to know.

Yes, my computer is a Dell XPS and all the parts replacement, labor, visit by a tech rep, is covered under my warranty.

I first had the heat sink replaced, then the processor fans and they have told me if that did not solve my problem then they would replace my motherboard.
                          So unless you did some funky BIOS settings after you got the PC, this should be transparent (minus the noise of course :D)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Even if it is the same mobo type, it will probably still detect it as new hardware. Windows should already be able to find the drivers for it though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X