No announcement yet.

Wireless connection not adequate enough?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless connection not adequate enough?

After my network cord got busted and a found an unused wireless network card for my PC, I've been playing BF2 and 2142 a bit with the new wireless PCI card that is connected to my router and I've been having that "There is a problem with your connection" message show up constantly.

I've been thinking about buying a new network cord. Any suggestions to fix the wireless problem though?

Re: Wireless connection not adequate enough?

Not much detail to go on but a few thoughts...

1. What router is it? If it's an older router and you also have cordless phones there could be interference from them. This isn't a problem with newer routers but used to be a problem.

2. What wireless channel are you using? It could be if there is someone else using wireless close by and they are using the same channel that they are interfering with your connection.

some things to do:
      1.)make sure your channel doesnt match that of any other WLANs in your area.
      2.)make sure your firmware is up to date.
      3.)if you're using linksys equipment, make sure that the windows wireless zero configurator service is disabled before you start gaming (this is accessible from the administrative tools in the control panel)
      4.)enable your router security and set up an encrypted network so that other people cant be "in your network, leeching your megabitz".
      5.)check your signal strength. if it drops below 30%, it can cause problems and you should look at buying a signal booster or simply finding a way to relocate the router/computer for stronger signal.
      6.)if all else fails, buy a new cat5 cable, you can get them premade from any computer store for 5-10 bucks or you can make your own 200 foot long cable with the supplies from home depot for the same price.

Check for microwave oven between the router and you wireless adapter.

My laptop dropped what seemed to be randomly. I then found out it happened when sitting in the kitchen and somebody started the microwave.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

I was not amused when Linksys cut the power output of their wireless base stations just before coming out with their "signal boosters".

If you are halfway computer-aware, you can replace the Linksys router software with open-source Linux control software, and boost the signal back up to where you need it.

Some newer Linksys routers are not linux compatible anymore so look for the "L" series, unless you already own an older Linksys router.

Jaykay (FastBK) |null|

Go to Big Lots. They have 12' cat5e cables for $5.
            Retired 6th DB

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed