Linux distro recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux distro recommendation

Assuming one has enough spare PC parts to build a *cough* dedicated BFxxxx server *cough*. What what you penguin lovers recommend for a free distro to run this ?

I don't care about desktop, browser, frills; command line rules :D

Thanks.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Re: Linux distro recommendation

Fedora or Ubuntu methinks.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
      Assuming one has enough spare PC parts to build a *cough* dedicated BFxxxx server *cough*. What what you penguin lovers recommend for a free distro to run this ?

I don't care about desktop, browser, frills; command line rules :D

Thanks.

DB
      I like Ubuntu as well. Though there may be better alternatives for a server since Ubuntu is geared more toward desktop users. Ubuntu is easy in my opinion. Fedora is nice too, slightly trickier, and maybe a little quicker. My advice is to download Ubuntu, try it, and if it isn't working for you go with Fedora or another one like Slackware or Gentoo.

Comment

Gentoo was the only distro that I liked using. Great community and lots of documentation. Using emerge to update programs was also a pleasure.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm a big Fedora Core fan. Oddly enough, I'm doing a Fedora Core 6 install on an old machine at this very moment for use as a MythTV box. The main TG web server, database servers, mail, dns and all that jazz actually run of RedHat Enterprise 4 (RHEL4).

In the past, I've used the RedHat line, Ubuntu, and Slackware. I may have messed with more that I'm just not remembering. RedHat/Fedora is my distro of choice these days.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Check out some of the posts made by mateo about ubuntu. Easy and great distro. Alot of actual help in the forums for that as well
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

I vote Ubuntu as well. It is a really easy install that just works. The next choice for me would be Debian. Third choice is Fedora.

I use Ubuntu as my main desktop @ home. I also have a Debian file server. I use Fedora as a spare machine at work. Look up Mateo's post about Ubuntu. He will walk you through the install from top to bottom.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

I use Gentoo myself, love it. Portage is awesome.

But it's pretty compilcated to set up, if you are a new Linux user you should probably go with Ubuntu then when you feel comfortable, switch to something more advanced later.
                |TG| Lorian
                Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Cheers.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I was about to say hold off from Gentoo. Things happen so quickly there that you end up braking all sorts of lib-links on every minor update. Well that is my experience at least.

I'd say Fedora or Ubuntu. If you want something really dozile go for Debain stable. But note that you won't get all the new fancy stuff there.
                    --
                    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
                      I'd say Fedora or Ubuntu. If you want something really dozile go for Debain stable. But note that you won't get all the new fancy stuff there.
                      Thanks. My first thought was Debian, then Fedora. I don't need fancy; I'll be accessing the box using PuTTY.

DB

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                        Thanks. My first thought was Debian, then Fedora. I don't need fancy; I'll be accessing the box using PuTTY.

DB
                        As I said, I'm a big fan of Fedora. It's not as easy of a transition as some of the other distrobutions as they do expect you to learn a little bit about how the system works, but it's quite powerful. It's probably not the best distro to use as a full desktop replacement for novice users, but it's damn good if you want to get into the Linux world in a more hardcore fashion.

I would also propose the SSH Secure Shell Client as an alternative to PuTTY. I've used both and I've found the SSH SSC to be a more well rounded application. They used to have the free download up on the main SSH website, but I can't seem to find it. I do have a copy on-line if you want to check it out though. Just send me a PM and I'll shoot you over the link.

Comment

I was about to say hold off from Gentoo. Things happen so quickly there that you end up braking all sorts of lib-links on every minor update. Well that is my experience at least.
                          I dunno what you were doing, but I run 2 Gentoo boxes and have never had such problems.
                          |TG| Lorian
                          Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I had the same experience with Gentoo. You seem to have a choice, let Gentoo manage all updates and application installs or use something else. When you want to start mucking with your own libraries things get really dicey. With the Linux machines that I manage both for personal use, TG, and for work, I tend to install EVERYTHING from the raw source and compile it myself. So this behavior wasn't condusive to my method of UNIX administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                              I dunno what you were doing, but I run 2 Gentoo boxes and have never had such problems.
                              That might be due to either your method of administration and/or the applications/environment you work in. Or it could just be sheer luck.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X