Pentium D vs. Core 2 Duo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium D vs. Core 2 Duo

Okay, since I'm replacing my current system mobo and processor with a ASUS and a Pentium D 805 (2.66 Ghz), I'm wondering, how much of a performance difference is there between the lower end Pentium Ds and the lower end Core 2 Duos? And does anyone know of any websites that compare a P-D with a C2D?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Pentium D vs. Core 2 Duo

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
    Okay, since I'm replacing my current system mobo and processor with a ASUS and a Pentium D 805 (2.66 Ghz), I'm wondering, how much of a performance difference is there between the lower end Pentium Ds and the lower end Core 2 Duos? And does anyone know of any websites that compare a P-D with a C2D?
    Get first aid here! :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Bottom end Core 2 Duo = Mike Tyson.

Bottom end Pentium D = six year old little girl.

Comment

If you're looking for a bargain, maybe look at the Core 2 Duo E4300 during Q2 of this year, when it's supposed to drop to $133.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2903&p=2

It's light years ahead of any pentium D; and looks to be roughly on par with the AMD X2 4600+, which at the moment is still $200+

[edit] Haha, look at that Pentium D 945 that they stuck in the benchmarks just for comparison--and that's not even low end pentium D.

Comment

Wow quick replies :D

I'm building a new system with a planned E6600 in a few months, but I was curious to know the performance variance since I never planned on having to replace the mobo and processor in my current system.

Thanks everyone.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I just bought a bunch of equipment to build some machines for work. They're all going to be E6600 based too! I'm actually thinking about doing that for home as well. My current machine is a water-cooled Intel 805D clocked up to 3.6GHz.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Wow quick replies :D

I'm building a new system with a planned E6600 in a few months, but I was curious to know the performance variance since I never planned on having to replace the mobo and processor in my current system.

Thanks everyone.
              Some more info here.

Right now, IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the E6400. The benchmarks I saw, show that the bigger cache in the E6600 does not give you much of a gaming performance increase (around 5-6% clock for clock). I bought the E6400, and I'm clocking it a 2.56Ghz, stock cooler. It just cruises nicely with temps at full load under 55C. I used the money I saved on other parts.

Went from a P4 [email protected] on a P4P800, 2G DDR-400 to

[email protected]
              2G DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12)
              Mobo: Intel 975XBX2

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Just remember when getting your new motherboard that you'll most likely need DDR2 RAM (there might be a C2D that takes DDR RAM but I doubt it).

Comment

Pentium D's blew chunks compared to the new Core 2 Duo. Check out www.tomshardware.com where they overclocked one of the cheap Core 2 Duos ($190 E6300) and it outperformed the X6800 Core 2 Duo($999). Its a really good value. Even not overclocked it's still really good.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well, actually, my mobo only forced me to get the 805. I'm reusing the rest of my system. I can't afford to replace anymore parts on this build.

And yea the 805 is one OCer's dream. With adaquate cooling, THG managed to get it to 4.1 Ghz. At least in it's stock, it's an upgrade from my P4 Prescott 3.06 GHz CPU.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Don't worry too much about not being able to get a Core 2. You definitely won't be having performance issues because of a 805.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

That's true. This'll hold me until I can build my C2D system over the summer.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X