Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best LED Flashlight.

Opinions?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Best LED Flashlight.

I got an LED headlamp for Christmas and I absolutely love the thing. I figured it would be handy, but I've used the thing for many uses I never even imagined. I used it when I fixed a clogged drain yesterday, for example. It is so damn convenient to go hands-free and always have the light where you are looking. It went into the workshop instead of the camping box. :)
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

For something in your pocket, you can't beat the Photon series. I have a few of these. I have one on me everywhere I go.

http://www.photonlight.com/LED-Keych...lights-s/1.htm

If you want hand held super light then go for the Surefire brand. These are really high quality.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...br/6/sesent/00

Comment

I concur - you can't go wrong with Surefire.
        |TG|Melee
        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I have the Pelican M6, this is a very powerful light similar to the Surefire.

Many law enforcement use this type of light here due to its compact size and one hand pushbutton operation. (and of course that its as powerful as a search light.)
          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

If anybody is looking for cheap LED flashlights, http://www.ledshoppe.com/ is the place to get it. Free shipping too. Remember, it's cheap so the quality might be cheap too. The service is great. If you get a broken product, they'll immediately send a replacement.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by corporate View Post
              For something in your pocket, you can't beat the Photon series. I have a few of these. I have one on me everywhere I go.

http://www.photonlight.com/LED-Keych...lights-s/1.htm

If you want hand held super light then go for the Surefire brand. These are really high quality.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...br/6/sesent/00

If I spent $100 or more on a flashlight by wife would beat me with it!
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                If I spent $100 or more on a flashlight by wife would beat me with it!
                What kind of flashlight are you looking for, then?
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Here is a resource for flashlights:

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca..._headquarters/

I don't use an LED light yet but I know a couple of guys who do. They are undecided if they are better than a regular bulb.
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Hmm, I have a few tactical LED flashlights. I can tell you from experience that most will use 123A batteries instead of something standard like AA or AAA. The 123As last a while.

If it's for something around the house when the power goes out, then 6 LEDs are good for starters. I like the ones with around 12, they tend to offer the best spread and light concentration. You also have different LED types, from standard 270 degree span ones to 180 ultra brights to luxem LEDs (1W or >). Standards are pretty household (or will be) and is used in everything from electronics to florescent replacement lamps for the household. Ultra brights are used for spotlamps and such. And Luxem's tend to be featured in lights marketed for military, law enforcement, and emergency personnel. They also drain most pairings of batteries in a few hours (varies depending on number of bulbs).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      What kind of flashlight are you looking for, then?
                      Yea, should have been more specific.

An upgrade to my 15 year old (and $25) 2 D cell mag lite. This thing as had a car run over it, dropped to the bottom of a river or two, banged around during spelunking, abused by my children (and me) stored in an attic that went from -15 to over 110 degrees. Was totally frozen in ice back in 2002. It is still going strong.

I want something that will be as rugged and at least as bright but have a longer battery life, which is about 8 hours. Small size is not really that important but it is appreciated.

Must use standard batteries.

I like the ones that allow changing the number of LEDs used or variable power to manage battery life.

I have looked at the new LED mag-lites and the light is very good but the battery life is about the same.

Price range? -$2,000,000,000 to around 50 bucks.

Comment

For under $50, I'd stay with an incandescent MagLite.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Here's a link to a review of MagLite's LED flashlights and LED bulb replacement unit.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...te_mag-led.htm

Not the best solution for an LED flashlight since there won't be a proper heatsink, but it's not too expensive either. ~$17 for a MagLite LED bulb, ~$30 for a MagLite LED flashlight.

Comment

I'm going to second my own recommendation for a headlamp. :)

I just replaced a bunch of light switches in my house and used it again. I now rate this as a do-it-yourselfer must-have item.
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

For the most part generic branded LED flashlights work and can survive some drops (drop a few down a flight of stairs).

If you're willing to spend on some less expensive LED lights, look at your local sports dealership or at a airsoft shop (e-store or retail). Popular configs go for about $20 - $40.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X