Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer is very poorly - please help

Hi:

Any idea what's going on here? this morning I got a failure notice on an email I sent due to possible virus/spam content, but a scan of the attachment I was trying to send this morning with my virus checker came up clean. My computer is sick :(
    2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
    BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Re: My computer is very poorly - please help

Try booting into safe mode and re-scan. What virus scanner are you running anyway? Not all virus scanners are created equal, not even close to it.

Personally, I would recommend Kaspersky.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Okay -- I'll try that. For what it's worth I'm running AVG at the moment (I used to have Kaspersky, but didn't like how it took over my machine while it ran - I'm fairly low-spec). The visual glitches happen pretty much as soon as the screen has something to display on boot.

Safe mode is hold F5 on boot, right?

Comment

It's F5 or F8. One of the two. It's also possible your video card is just on its way out. Do you have a spare card you could try? It might also be worthwhile to re-install your video drivers as well.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Maus View Post
          Okay -- I'll try that. For what it's worth I'm running AVG at the moment (I used to have Kaspersky, but didn't like how it took over my machine while it ran - I'm fairly low-spec). The visual glitches happen pretty much as soon as the screen has something to display on boot.

Safe mode is hold F5 on boot, right?
          Does it do this when it is showing the POST information when you first boot? I mean when you first press the power button and the BIOS reports the amount of memory and looks for your Hard Disk. If it does, then a failing video card is probably the culprit. Also try the easy stuff first such as making sure that your video cable didn't come loose.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Looks like a graphics card issue to me. Try switching your resolutions/colour. Or just update your video drivers, they are most likely bad.

Comment

Agreed. It may not even be hardware related, but rather driver related. I've seen something like that happen when either the resolution isn't supported or the refresh rate isn't. Right-click on your desktop and choose "Properties", clikc on the "Settings" tab, click the "Advanced" button" and then click the "Monitor" tab. Make sure your refresh rate isn't set too high. To test, set it to 60Hz and press "apply" and see if that helps.

Also, I've seen a problem like this when the centering on the monitor is way off. Try using the picture movement keys on the monitor to move the image left,right,up,down and see if that helps.
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

Well...I'd start by switching out your monitor with another before you go and open up your case. Also if there are any wireless devices that are in the RF spectrum, move them away from your monitor as they might interfer with the operation of the display (will look like your screenshot).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

(1) Phew - virus scans came up clean -- it's my video card that's fried. I'm now on an old GeForce 2 MX 400, so I don't think I'll be playing Battlefield with you chaps anytime soon. ;)

(2) As far as a replacement card goes, I don't want to go nuts with the spending as this computer is old and undeserving of a fancy new card -- when I upgrade I'll be getting a new comp, and presumably a decent card then.

So.

(3) I'm looking to replace a 128Mb 9800 Pro with something similar, or at least under $100. The X1300 looks like it'll do -- any other suggestions?

oh, edit: is there an easy way to tell what kind of AGP slot I have? I don't know if an 8x card would be kind of wasteful.

Comment

If you're looking for a cheap replacement I'd go with a GeForce FX 5200, it's fairly old, but can handle BF2 on low settings, I used to use it before I upgraded.
                    |TG| Lorian
                    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Maus View Post

oh, edit: is there an easy way to tell what kind of AGP slot I have? I don't know if an 8x card would be kind of wasteful.
                      This will do the trick
                      --
                      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Thanks Panzer -- that did indeed do the trick. I only have AGP 4x, but I think the 1300 supports that.

iirc I originally changed from a fx5200 to the 9800pro, so I don't especially want to step backwards.

Comment

I saw in another thread that some guys around here had some 68000GT's for sale. You may want to look into that.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Bit of last-minute advice wanted, before I go buy a card tomorrow:

My computer's specs are 2.4GHz P4 with 512Mb RAM -- as I said it's a bit low these days. I'm toying between an X1300 Pro and an X1650 Pro, as there's only about $30 in it.

Would the X1650 be wasted on this computer? My plan is hopefully to get a card that wil not feel crappy when I get round to building a new box later in the year.

Comment

Same thing happened to my 9800 Pro, Radeon 7000 came to the rescue :(.
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X