HEY need some help about OCin the Core 2 duo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEY need some help about OCin the Core 2 duo

Well pretty much how it sounds, im gettin a new system and im geting a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz, and i plan to overclock it to somewhere arround 3.4GHz. I would really apreciate it if some of yall would help me by sharing youre knowlege on this, and past experiences with overclocking this CPU.

thank-you for youre time

-Kore

PS: please tell the full truth on youre experiences with youre OCin on this Processor. thx(i really want this to work out, with-out flaws)

Re: HEY need some help about OCin the Core 2 duo

main qestions apply to whats the deal with cooling this processor under Overcloocking stress?

what should i change my voltages to if i overclock it to 3.4(and what other settings should i change if i OC)?

is there alot of a possibilty to me burrnig out or shortcirciting the cpu when i Oc it(and what are other hazzards or risks i should take into cosideration)?

o and i forgot.....

Intell Core 2 Duo OC-to-3.6
    BFG G-Force 8800GTX
    CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin [OC-to DDR2 1100] (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
    ASUS P5W DH DELUXE
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
    ViewSonic 19" 2ms response time
    BFG Tech 1000W Power Supply
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache
    Razor Copperhead Gaming mouse
    Logitech G-15 gaming keyboard
    Meudusa 5.1 surround sound directional audio headphones

And the rest all together coming in around to a BIG $3,000

Comment

actually there are 3 new changes to the sys specs i gave u.....

video- eVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card

HD- Seagate Barracuda 7200 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

PowerSupply- Thermaltake 700W Power Supply

Comment

1.4V on air is a soft limit for your CPU. Check your temps as you overclock. Once you reach 60C (core temp) on load, you're pushing the CPU hard.

Keep your RAM multiplier at 2 and relax the timings if you run into problems. You may want to lower the CPU multiplier to get a higher FSB or to find your FSB limit.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

From tons of experience, I highly recommend using water cooling. This is the one thing you can do to ensure you do not do any permanent damage to the processor over the long run. A decent cooling system can run about $120. As for the exact multipliers and voltage, it is hard to give you any exact tweaks based on several factors specific to your systems: memory timing, cooling, MB scalability, video card, power supply, etc. Each one has to be adjusted in concert to get stable operations, not just voltage.

There is a program by NVDIA (LINK) that will not only allow you to change all of you setting (in conjunction with the Asus board and NVDIA card) but it will run stability tests to ensure you do not have any failures. This program took my machine from a 3GHz to over 4.1 GHz without any problems (minus the cooling, which was overcome). Let the program do the work for you, trying to figure some of the timing and multiplier issues can be a pain in the but and confusing.

Good luck
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Go to:
            http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...ore-2-extreme/
            They just ran an article discussing this very issue. They made the Core 2 Duo E6300 run faster than a Core 2 Extreme, and with stock cooling. Very nice.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

well i might try the link thing but im going to cool this thing with a ( ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail)

and sarc, your goin into stuff i dont understand, try to keep it simple.(rofl)

thx.

but i need some more answers to my main qestions up top.

and im only overclocking to 3.4ghz(iv decided)

Comment

o and i changed to my final oder today im getting the 680i sli mobo from evga.

Comment

Originally posted by koreXT View Post
                  well i might try the link thing but im going to cool this thing with a ( ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail)

and sarc, your goin into stuff i dont understand, try to keep it simple.(rofl)

thx.

but i need some more answers to my main qestions up top.

and im only overclocking to 3.4ghz(iv decided)
                  Read up on overclocking. I'm surprised you don't know many of the terms after building PC's for over a decade.

There's a voltage for the CPU (vCore or something similar in the BIOS) that you can raise to stabilize an overclock. There's also one for memory (vDimm) if you're overclocking the memory. Check what your memory default voltage is. It might be 2.1V since you're getting the higher speed RAM.

There are multipliers that various components use to get their own clock speeds. There's something called the Front Side Bus (FSB) that is multiplied to get memory and CPU speeds. When overclocking, you want to keep your memory speed within a range it can handle. Generally, you want to keep memory at 2x but you can bump it up higher if you want to push your memory more. The CPU you won't really touch unless you're trying to find your FSB limit.

The FSB limit is important because you want to see how far it can go before stability is an issue. You can lower your CPU multiplier and raise FSB so that you're underclocking the final speed of the CPU but actually overclocking the FSB. When you find your FSB limit, you can raise your multiplier to find the overall speed limit of your CPU. That's one way of overclocking.

Core 2 runs stock at 266 FSB and you're probably going to push it to around 350 (E6700 has a 10x CPU multiplier). In fact, you can really make do with DDR2 800 since the FSB is around 350 and the memory is at 2x so the final memory speed is 2x350=700Mhz. Although, you might push your FSB higher with a lower CPU multiplier and you'll need memory that can handle high speeds. You'd do this if you find that a higher FSB is a better performer than having a higher overall CPU speed.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Best thing you can do is read - start doing forum searches for your mobo and cpu at the usual places.

Basically though, 3.4 should be pretty easy to hit with good cooling. Start small on the FSB, keep your ram at 1:1 and dual prime/orthos test at each setting. When they fail, bump your vcore and/or nsb voltage a bit until your stable. Keep your fsb under 1.45v and your nsb under 1.4v I think (not sure about that for the 680i though).

You ram you don't really have to worry about since you are effectively underclocking it - it's not going to be running at it's rated speed at 1:1.

Comment

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardw...ict197995.html

I was into overclocking a couple years ago and had a meltdown. Too much stress on the ram. I wouldn't overclock again on an expensive machine. Especially if it's already fast enough to do what I want.

Comment

well, ill see, but if yall have anyother answers to my ques?..

whats the deal with cooling this processor under Overcloocking stress?

what should i change my voltages to if i overclock it to 3.4(and what other settings should i change if i OC)?

is there alot of a possibilty to me burrnig out or shortcirciting the cpu when i Oc it(and what are other hazzards or risks i should take into cosideration)?

Comment

I'm quite confused. You're asking some very basic questions here yet you profess to be old-hat in terms of building high performance machines and overclocking. Some of the basics you should have learned in your 12 or whatever years doing this is that every CPU is different and every motherboard and stick of memory will tolerate different clock rates and require, or not, increased voltages to support those rates.

You also said that you've done your research so I assume you've already got answers to all of these questions?

If you'd like to retract any of your previous statements and approach this with a clean slate, that's one thing. I was born in the morning, but it wasn't yesterday morning, so I'm not inclined to put a bunch of my time into providing all the information you need when you're already professing to be a pro at this.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

NO,NO, do not mistakin my 9 years of building pcs ever having to do with overclocking.

but mind me saying that i never said that i had ever overclocked pcs before, im very new to this relm of expertse.

by the way Apophis dont patrionize me, i know what i said i know what i can do, and i dont retract any of my staments.

1 i did do my research, 2 just because i have been building for a long time, does not mean i know everything, and does not mean i should know anything about overclocking. none of my costomers have asked for a overclock yet.

3 im asking these ques. even tho i know you would have to know my specific harware, and its different for all chips, i was just wondering if anybody here had any answers.

Comment

well first of to you other asweries... i plan to try out what that one guy said nvidias link program(what do yall think of that program.) and i dont want to overclock or underclock my ram.(im spending 400 dollars on just getting the fastest ram so why whould i need to do any of that?) and so in saying like i said im only wanting to overclock just the cpu to 3.4-3.5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X