Geforce 8000 series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce 8000 series

Does anyone know when Nvidia is going to come out with lower models of the 8000 series? Right now I only see the 8800 and it is really expensive.

Re: Geforce 8000 series

Once ATI comes out with their models (in Feb.?) we should see prices moderate a bit.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Prices dipped down to $300 for a short time for the lower end version.
      Right now they're not worth it I think. They are made to support Vista's DX10 graphics model, but nVidia hasn't even come out with beta drivers that do.
      They'll get down to $300 and if they ever get decent drivers - then is the time to upgrade. And that depends heavily on what ATI will offer. ATI seems to have been much more stable on the software/driver side lately.

Comment

They always release the [0-9]800 cards at the beginnig and release the lower end ones later.
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I don't think the 8800 series will drop in price when ATI releases their DX10 cards. What I think will happen is nVidia will come back with a low-end and mid-range option that might be worth waiting for ATI to release their DX10 cards. NVidia might also release a higher clocked 8800 to top ATI.

I think it makes sense that nVidia would make lower range cards to capture the majority of the market while ATI is showing off their flagship cards, which nVidia already has a hold by releasing the 8800GTX several months earlier.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The 8600, 8300 series should be out Marchish time frame, while a 320MB 8800GTS is due out in Feb I believe for the $299 price range.

Originally posted by marstein
            Right now they're not worth it I think. They are made to support Vista's DX10 graphics model
            They are made to support any DX, not just DX10 and they are the fastest DX9 accelerators out there and if your are going to upgrade to a high end video card you'd be nuts to not buy this (or wait for ATI's within a few months).

Comment

I also read that a Direct-X 10.1 version is due out and will be supported by ATI.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I have an 8800GTS 640MB and personally after upgrading from my 7800GT I haven't noticed a vast difference in my performance but this may be due to bottle necking of my P4 cpu which needs upgrading. Also, Direct X 10 works only on VISTA with appropriate drivers which have yet to be released. also you need supporting software to take advantage of Direct X which until the following come out is non-existant: Crysis, Age of Conan will be the begin the DX10 age which should lead to much better computer gaming performances by all our rigs containing DX10 cards. (Atleast thats what they say)
                Current member of the

Comment

You haven't noticed a difference because all the games you probably have run just fine on the 7800GT. I don't know if you saw the one Crysis video at CES they said they were running the game at 2048x1536 on one 8800GTX on DX10 with a Core 2 Duo. Yikes! So yeah one of these bad boys will hopefully run anything maxed out with high FPS.

Here's the link: http://www.crysis-online.com/?id=172

Comment

Well i hope so...I'm upgrading to a core 2 duo anyway and a new mobo. Since my old P4 3.0 is starting to show it's age. Also on my GTS it's not that I haven't noticed a difference it's that the Card isn't that impressive on newer games such as Armed Assault and Vangaurd Saga of Heroes which require to run the game to run on normal for smooth frame rate. So, this leads me to believe my CPU is old or the card will only show it's greatness on a DX10 game.
                    Current member of the

Comment

Like Jaymind said, the "lesser" versions of the 8000 series should be out within a couple of months. I'm waiting until then to upgrade my 6800gs card. I hope ATI releases something in the meantime for the sake of competition..competition is always good!!!

I've had no problems with my 6800 card...but I wouldn't mind switching to ATI if they release something competitive and reasonably priced.

later,

Chappie

Comment

As for the Vista native drivers for the 8800--those will be out Jan 30th.
                        Twisted Firestarter
                        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                        sigpic

Comment

I've been very tempted to buy an 8800 series card, but just can't justify it with DX10 around the corner. Now, the 8800's are functional with DX10, but who knows what capabilities they will have compared to ATi's offerings? It could be grossly incapable for all I know. Of course, the 8800 could also blow ATi's card out of the water. Just have to wait and see.

When is DX10 supposed to arrive, anywho?
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                            As for the Vista native drivers for the 8800--those will be out Jan 30th.
                            Beta drivers came out today.

http://www.guru3d.com/news.html#4847

Well Vista comes out Jan 30th retail, so that's when it'll be out. As far as games go, then who knows? I'm pretty sure Crysis will be one of the first DX10 titles to appear and even that's at least a few months out.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                              I've been very tempted to buy an 8800 series card, but just can't justify it with DX10 around the corner. Now, the 8800's are functional with DX10, but who knows what capabilities they will have compared to ATi's offerings? It could be grossly incapable for all I know. Of course, the 8800 could also blow ATi's card out of the water. Just have to wait and see.

They will have the same capabilities as any DX10 ATI card - that is the nature of DX10. No cap bits, no optional support, etc... You either support it or you do not, there is no in between. And if you support it, you support it all - not optional. Now, if you mean will it be fast in DX10 instead of functional, then right now who knows. But, an 8800GTX was power most of the DX10 games at CES this past week including Crysis on a Dell 24" at native resolution.

The new ATI cards coming March should be faster than the current Nvidia cards, but you can't always be looking at the next card either or you'll never buy anything since there is always something faster right around the corner.
                              Last edited by jaymind; 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X