Nvidia 8800 GTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia 8800 GTS

Anyone got this card? I just want to hear some first hand experiences with it. I have read most of the reviews, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.

I currently got a Geforce 6600GT and its just not cutting it. I have a 20inch widescreen with a native resolution of 1680x1050.

I mostly play FPS and Sims. I had to stop playing GRAW cause my vid card couldnt handle it.

Re: Nvidia 8800 GTS

I just installed mine and I run the same resolution as you on my 20" widescreen and so far everything I throw at it is fine at that rez plus 4-16aa and 16af.

Damn bargain at $369 (with rebate on EVGA).

Comment

Yea roger that, thats the one im looking at. Good deal on newegg.

What size powersupply you got?

Comment

nevermind....just saw your other post concerning your new system...750 watt silverstone...

nice rig bro...

:)

Jaymind, what kind of psu are you running that card on?? Just curious..

thanks,

Chappie

Comment

tiger direct has them for 370 i don't know if newegg has them cheaper.
          Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by Strikeman View Post
            Yea roger that, thats the one im looking at. Good deal on newegg.

What size powersupply you got?
            Silverstone Strider 750w. Got it cheap from DeadEye - this place has the cheapest and best power supplies around bar none.

Also, the Strider is a Tier 2 at Jonny Guru's.

Comment

There are several discussions of this card going on including this one, this one and this one.

The overall gist is that 8800 is the fastest card on the market right now by a large margin. If you have the bucks for it, grab it. It's worth noting however that it might be overkill for the relatively low resolution that you are running it at. Anything you throw at the card in that resolution will be CPU, not GPU, limited. So, you are likely to see similar framerates between that and say a 7900 on current games.

On the other hand, the graphical goodness that will be coming with new games such as Crysis will require DX10 hardware for maximum eye-candy. So, you will want to invest in DX10 hardware at some point. The only question is buy it now or wait and see what ATI's DX10 offering will look like when it comes out?
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't consider 1680x1050 a low resolution. Especially on games like FEAR that can really tax the GPU.

Comment

I have a 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor i personally hate it because of the performance hit i take with it but i just can't see my self going to a smaller monitor and the screen looks awful if i lower the res (with 8800GTS) i'm upgrading my computer anyway so hopefully this will improve performance (New Ram, Mobo, Processor)
                  Current member of the

Comment

RC600 from ATI will own this card up and sideways :D
                    Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by Strikeman View Post
                      I wouldn't consider 1680x1050 a low resolution. Especially on games like FEAR that can really tax the GPU.
                      Yeah, apologies. I read that as 1280x1050. :)
                      Twisted Firestarter
                      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kittamaru View Post
                        Unless you have some actual numbers to back up this claim...
                        Twisted Firestarter
                        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kittamaru View Post
                          And you would know this how? Links please. And what exactly is RC600? Or did you mean R600 or did you have it confused with the RD600? Or RV600?

I get irritable with obvious fanboys. Both companies make good products, both companies have pro's and con's and both companies are out to make money period, so being blindly attached to a company is being ridiculous.

The rule I live by for video cards is buy the best you can for the money you got at the time you need it irregardless of company.

Comment

yes ATI will own this card sideways and if they don't they are pathetic. nvidia released there 8800 5 months before the R600. Nvidia's new gpu has great IQ improvement over there vast cards and DX10 support if you want it and the 8800 is becoming very cheap rather quickly down to 350 i saw. i spent 450 so that just goes to show the price is going down.

ATI's new GPU will not be that affordable so wait if you must your going to get comparable performance and have to pay more.
                            Current member of the

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X