Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia already cheating to make 6800 look good.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nvidia already cheating to make 6800 look good.....

Originally posted by asch
    I wouldn't say that it's a fact. Where was that declared? I couldn't completely understand the translated article... but I didn't see anything that stated why the performance decreased with the renamed file. And was there a similar test with an ATI card?
    I think the point Sarc is making is that the card is specifically looking for the game, meaning the card has been made to recognise far cry?

It says it 'clearly' in the article. When the .exe was renamed it ran slower. So is there something more sinister behind this - are Ubi now telling the card manufacturers to make cards compatible with Ubi's games to stifle the competition?

lol
    Jex.

Comment

:icon9: It seems like a false benchmark result then right?

If the video card can process the data at 40 fps but you rename the file and that SAME DATA can only be processed at 23 FPS, it looks like a huuuuge scam.

The way I'm reading the results, the NVIDIA card is showing false FPS scores for the game FARCRY. Because if the card could process the data with a FPS in the 40 range, renaming the data should have NO different result. It's still processing the exact same data.

If this is true, this is a bigger scam than some of you realize...

---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by jex
        I think the point Sarc is making is that the card is specifically looking for the game, meaning the card has been made to recognise far cry?

It says it 'clearly' in the article. When the .exe was renamed it ran slower. So is there something more sinister behind this - are Ubi now telling the card manufacturers to make cards compatible with Ubi's games to stifle the competition?
        What I'm getting at is that if you only test one instance on one card, you can't compare it to any other card. Sure, I understand that changing the name of the executable caused a frame-rate change. No where in that article did it say why. There could be a number of reasons besides looking for a filename.

What is to say that you would not have the same problem if you used an ATI card? There hasn't been any other comparison.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by en4rcment
          :icon9: It seems like a false benchmark result then right?

If the video card can process the data at 40 fps but you rename the file and that SAME DATA can only be processed at 23 FPS, it looks like a huuuuge scam.

The way I'm reading the results, the NVIDIA card is showing false FPS scores for the game FARCRY. Because if the card could process the data with a FPS in the 40 range, renaming the data should have NO different result. It's still processing the exact same data.

If this is true, this is a bigger scam than some of you realize...

---------------------------------------------------------
          no, the point is when the drivers detect farcry, it turns off loads of details that YOU have selected to have on. The Same Data is getting used, yes but its results are different, ie a ultra blury picture with jaggles, no shadows or fog....much like how Hl1 looks like.....lol

oh and yes, you can test it on ATI, whatever the name is its always the same result :D

Originally posted by flux
          I also didn't get out of that report that anything was taken out of FarCry when the name change happened. If they are taking options out that you explicitly told them to put in, well I guess that is bad, but not sure I would be upset. Sure I would want to know about the change the driver made, so I would say they should just return in a DeviceCAPS call. This way the game could detect that they don't support that feature on your system so that you don't have the option to select, but that is a game feature to implement as well.

To me this is similar to Dynamic Level of Detail which most game implement. No one complains about this when game developers do it, so why complain with the graphics card does it for a particular game? I think card mfgs are upfront about doing these types of optimizations, maybe they should be more detailed on what they are doing with each driver release.

Again, I'm not saying nvidia is being completely upfront, but i also would not limit it to just nvidia.
          other tests by people on English speaking forums have noticed what is happening and explained it. Nvidia call it a *BUG* in that new beta driver release (which was released when ATI released there cards), but how does this *BUG* know to be BUGGY when the program is called farcry? Fact is Nvidia cards as a whole SUCK in farcry, Nvidiots say this is because farcry is a buggy, and crap game engine..............but then why does it work on everything else fine? even Geforce 4s? Well because Geforce 5 and 6 are odd designs that need odd drivers.....

Nvidia will get there in the end, and hell, im even remotely thinking about getting a 6800 instead of a X800pro or XT....depends on them prices. :icon_wink
          Last edited by Overlag; 05-10-2004, 05:40 PM.
          From Adam Webb

Comment

So both Ubi and Nvidia are conning us then - they should be investigated.
            Jex.

Comment

Found some articles from last year.... wanted to point out that both ATI and nVidia configure their video cards / drivers to perform better on benchmarks and games.

ATI Technologies Admits Cheating the Drivers To Achieve Higher 3DMark03 Score
              Futuremark Caught NVIDIA and ATI Technologies On Cheating In 3DMark03
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

a nice write up on some "issues" with Nvidia and ATI's drivers.....

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1039/
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X