New Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rig

My dad wants to build a new rig for vista. Wouldn't we just be crazy not getting an 8800? Also what all exactly does one need for a raid 1 setup?

Re: New Rig

The minimum requirement for Vista's 3D Aero Glass interface is a graphics card capable of Shader Model 2.0, so (almost)any recent video card will do. Of course you could only play new dx10 games in dx9 mode (that's if the game supports it of course).

So you don't need a 8800 unless you plan to play dx10 games or other dx10 graphical applications.

For RAID 1, you have two choices:

1) Software RAID controller: Comes built on most new motherboards

2) Hardware RAID controller: Basically a PCI card that you plug into one of your motherboards expansion slots.

For RAID 1, both options are fine. The only problem is that software RAID is more prone to errors (but it is the cheaper of both options). You'll also need 2 harddrives.

Comment

RAID 1 is a mirror image. It has the same data on both drives for redundancy. Software RAID can be annoying if your PC crashes. Even though the data is fine, it'll have to check the array to verify that nothing bad happened.

If you're really concerned about data backups, go for RAID 1. Just remember that off-site backups are important too. It's no use having a backup in the same place in case your PC gets fried or something crazy like that.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Radeon R600 will wtfpwn that nvidia card- it's DX10 Compatible, not DX10 ready. Hell, if I recall correctly, they STILL don't have 64bit Dx10 drivers out for it. GG nVidia!
        Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by Kittamaru View Post
          Radeon R600 will wtfpwn that nvidia card- it's DX10 Compatible, not DX10 ready. Hell, if I recall correctly, they STILL don't have 64bit Dx10 drivers out for it. GG nVidia!
          http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=32

There are x64 drivers. OMFGPWNED!

Realistically, you don't know if the R600 is better when there haven't been any comparisons. You're just spewing fanboy BS.

Comment

Not in the slightest mate. Hell, at the moment I'm running an eVGA 7900 gt :P So, fanboi I am not.

Research, done, have I. The R600 (dunno why i said RC) will ultimately kick the snot out of the 8800. It is, pure and true, a DX10 card of ownage. The onboard processing power is incredible, as well as it's integration. Couple that with a good AMD CPU (since it stands to logical reason that since AMD and ATI have paired up, their products would be pre-optimized to run together) and it'll blaze by the 8800. After all, the R600 will come with the correct drivers ready and rearing to go for one thing :P and ATI is moving to the new architecture (sp?) which is another good thing.

Comment

That's still speculation and you didn't research that nVidia do have drivers for x86 and x64. At this point in time, you have to look at what's available. Saying that future hardware will "pwn" or suck without seeing comparisons is close to being a fanboy.

All your claims about the R600 blowing any other card out of the water is based on it being newer hardware, the AMD/ATI merger, and solid drivers. At this point, every hardware manufacturer is dealing with writing new drivers for a new OS. There's not much to go on when the hardware doesn't exist in the hands of reviewers.

Comment

It has been reviewed. it hasn't been put thru it's paces yet, but excluding any major clusterfarks by ATI (and lets be honest, they're pretty good about avoiding those) it will, by sheer design, blow the 8800 away. The reason is that ATI waited, took their time, and didn't mind coming out second. They waited to see nVidia's problems, then improved upon the initial design. Their final release is a product of extensive testing and design.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittamaru View Post
                  It has been reviewed. it hasn't been put thru it's paces yet, but excluding any major clusterfarks by ATI (and lets be honest, they're pretty good about avoiding those) it will, by sheer design, blow the 8800 away. The reason is that ATI waited, took their time, and didn't mind coming out second. They waited to see nVidia's problems, then improved upon the initial design. Their final release is a product of extensive testing and design.
                  I can design my own televison, and have schematics that are improvments over all aspects of the current best television. That doesn't necessarily I will produce a television in the end that is better. Perhaps my television may inverts the picture when a certain DVD player is connected. No one knows cause my television doesn't exsist.

Therefore it is not greater then the current best television just because the designs make it seem better.

Comment

I finally found a review of the R600. http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-11...benchmark.html

I wouldn't say the 8800 got blown away... It looks good for ATI and they can definitely charge higher prices and take the crown. I still don't think it was anything like when the 9700 Pro came out.

Comment

True, the 9700 pro was like OMGWTFBBQROFLWAFFLELAWLIR1337CARD

But you have to admit, this is the first TRUE dedicated DX10 card there is.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "true". A card either supports DX10 or it doesn't.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X