In need of Antivirus software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of Antivirus software

Well AVG is no longer free. As of 2 weeks ago you have to purchase it. So im wondering if there are any just as good AV software out there or am i gonna have to purchase a package, which im willing to do but just checking my options first.

Ive looked at Panda antivirus, and have that running now but it runs almost norton hot and is just not worth it. Panda has a full package of both Av and Firewall, which is working great but is to resource intensive.

Avast is free but i havent installed it yet just wondering if its actually good or worth anything. What about ClamAV Anyone have any ideas of a different one to try out. I dont need something uber leet, just something to get the job done. Plus im going to get a fire wall and that should ease my AV needs.

and go
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: In need of Antivirus software

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
    Well AVG is no longer free. As of 2 weeks ago you have to purchase it. So im wondering if there are any just as good AV software out there or am i gonna have to purchase a package, which im willing to do but just checking my options first.
    I'm not sure who told you that AVG is no longer free, but they were lying to you.

http://free.grisoft.com/
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

7.5 you have to purchase...or at least that what it said when start the program up. After January 15th you had to purchase 7.5
      -Vulcan

Comment

I have and use Avast with no problems at all. Its free, you get near enough a daily update of the virus database for newest threats.

Its all good

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

GRISOFT today announced the extension of user product support for AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.1 through February 18, 2007. Product support for users of version 7.1 had been scheduled to expire on January 15th. This change will provide additional time for users to upgrade to AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5 or other AVG products.

Yep i stand corrected. Man im glad i wasted a good post on that
          Last edited by Trooper; 01-25-2007, 05:04 PM.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I can vouch for avast! as well. It has worked great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
              7.5 you have to purchase...or at least that what it said when start the program up. After January 15th you had to purchase 7.5
              Ya, it was probably just their wording. I think my mother said something about it no longer being free, before I upgraded her.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I'm an avast user...no complaints at all over the past two years.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

On the heels of this, anyone have a good anti-spam filter they like for Microsoft Outlook? My Norton expired and I'm looking at going with Avast! but would like something for the spammage.
                  Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Nevermind. I'm thinking the correct option is "Don't use MS Outlook."

People use "The Bat!"? Like it? Thunderbird? Opera?

Comment

Thunderbird 2.0 Beta 2

Comment

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and I'm pleased with it... Works great for email and is OK for USENET (about the same as MS OE in that regard).
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Usenet's not an issue - but a wife is so that might be the biggest issue. We'll give Thuderbird a try I think.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and say that you stick with AVG, whether you pay for it or not. I've used several different anti-virus programs in the past and NONE OF THEM except for AVG have been very reliable or even user friendly. AVG is simply the best darn anti-virus I've ever used.

When I'm fixing someone's computer from their own stupidity (read as: didn't install or use anti-virus AND anti-spyware, AND used internet explorer without a care in the world as if it was actually secure), after I clean out the computer (usually requiring a reformat/reinstall), AVG is one of the INTEGRAL pieces of software that I automatically equip them with and set up for automatic operation (so they can forget its there so they won't forget to turn it on), along with the latest version of firefox, disabling IE, and installing spybot S&D.

If they have other anti-virus software, I still try and persuade them to let me put AVG on their comp, and for them to ditch whatever free subscription they have to norton or macafee.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Avast is good. Have been using it for over 3 years now. Lots of updates (almost daily). License can be renewed when it expires, free. It's not the fastest scanner around, but it's fast enough. Resident protection is superb for a free AV software. It works well with a dedicated software firewall.

I use it in conjuction with my ZA Pro. It also protects 3 of my other networked systems.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X