Is my proc/RAM underclocked????!?!??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my proc/RAM underclocked????!?!??

I was messing around with an nVidia system tuning ultility that came with my 8800GTS video card, and I discovered that my processor (an E6600 Core 2 Duo) clock was about 2100. I went into my BIOS and it said that my bus speed was 200Mhz (= to 800Mhz when you convert it to the "real world" speed). I was just wondering if i am correct in assuming that the setting in the BIOS can be safely changed to 266/267 (=1066) and the RAM can be switched to 800 Mhz (the speed it's rated at). I am pretty sure I'm right and that this is probably a really noobish question, but i don't want to fry anything. Thanks in advance for responses.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: Is my proc/RAM underclocked????!?!??

The stock FSB should be 266Mhz. Set it to that if it already isn't. The motherboard should already do this if it's set on auto settings. First, double check on boot (during the POST) that your CPU is running at 2100. It's possible that the nVidia tuner is incorrectly reading the speeds.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

turn off the setting in your bios that sets your clock speed based on load first. It's a power saving feature that has the ability to underclock your proc.

Your computer will also underclock itself usually if the processor reaches temperature threshold.

Comment

Oh right, there's that power saving feature. I think it's called EIST. The CPU can scale down the clock speed when nothing heavy is happening, which can lower temperature and fan speeds for a quieter system.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

EIST is probably the issue. I have to say... I love the auto clock feature on my board, I just type in the front side bus I want and it tells me whether or not it will be stable. I am not going to totally depend on it, but it seems good.
          I have a gigabyte DS3 on an intel 965p chipset.
          The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
          #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
          83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X