Nvidia drivers - I'm confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia drivers - I'm confused

I have a PNY Nvidia 7800GS AGP card and I'm looking to update my drivers.

When I go on the Nvidia website I get the following menu under the "Graphics Drivers" selection at the start:

GeForce and TNT2
    GeForce 8800 Series
    GeForce Go 7 Series
    Quadro
    RIVA

I'm assuming I need to use the first option (GeForce and TNT2) and go from there? The Go 7 series is their mobile gpu set right? I just don't want to download the wrong driver, install, and send my system into a tailspin.

Also, I've heard it's recommended to uninstall older drivers first before installing new ones. Can anyone verify if this is true and if so, do I just use the standard windows uninstaller under the control panel?

Re: Nvidia drivers - I'm confused

You want the GeForce and TNT2 option.

Comment

I have a 7800 and I'm running the Beta drivers and so far not a problem. I think June 06 was the latest driver and the Beta was Dec 06 I think
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

Personally, I prefer drivers from Tweaks R Us to nvidia stock drivers.

And you may want to uninstall, run driver cleaner, then install the new drivers.

Comment

Thanks guys! I <3 the 7th :D

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
            I have a 7800 and I'm running the Beta drivers and so far not a problem. I think June 06 was the latest driver and the Beta was Dec 06 I think
            Have you noticed a performance increase running the beta drivers?

Originally posted by jaymind View Post
            Personally, I prefer drivers from Tweaks R Us to nvidia stock drivers.

And you may want to uninstall, run driver cleaner, then install the new drivers.
            I googled driver cleaner and came up with this http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load_locations

Driver Cleaner 3.3 free download. Is this what you use?

Comment

yes...thats the one Fault-. You should go to control panel first, then remove the nvidia driver there. then run the driver cleaner. It's an easy program with few options so you shouldn't have too much trouble. It will ask you are you sure you want to do this??? before you hit the final button. I always defrag after I remove the graphic driver then I install the new one. I read about the defrag step on the tweaksguide.com website.

Never tried the tweaks are us drivers....hmmmm...
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Faultline,

I haven't noticed any performance increase with the Beta drivers but I wasn't have any performance issues with the old ones.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

Driver Cleaner from here: http://www.drivercleaner.net

It's $10 now for the pro version, but I'm religious about it so it's money well spent. Although, there are still free versions around which I see you've found.

The Tweaks R Us drivers tend to have better IQ for very little performance penalty in my opinion and I've been using them for 2+ years now.

nHancer is also a must for any nVidia user. Per game application settings in an easy to use environment is nothing short of sweet.

Comment

Yeah go to www.tweaksrus.com and grab their drivers. That's where I always get the latest drivers from. Nice mention jaymind.

Comment

www.guru3d.com is the best place for all types of drivers and tweaks for your graphics needs they have beta drivers way ahead of time and have group modded drivers for performance or quality whichever you prefer.
                      Current member of the

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X