Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No nVidia 8800 Vista drivers. Not surprise, but saddened.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No nVidia 8800 Vista drivers. Not surprise, but saddened.

Those of us with an 8800 card know all the drama that has surrounded the lack of an official (beta or otherwise) Vista driver for our GPU. I am not surprised, but still saddened that with the launch of Vista the drivers are still not released.

Although I love my GPU under XP, because of the false advertising and the misleading statements (nVidia's website _still_ says drivers will be released with Vista retail) I would hesitate to buy another nVidia product.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: No nVidia 8800 Vista drivers. Not surprise, but saddened.

meh...im still using xp till they release them even though i have vista installed....no big deal. Its not like crysis is out or anything :)

Comment

Yeah, it still looks like just about everything runs better on XP than Vista currently anyway. This also was to be expected. It's going to take the release of something impressive before I choose to "upgrade" to Vista.

My guess is Nvidia is waiting for a title where the card runs better with Vista before releasing a suitable driver.

Comment

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=212833

They're not official but at least it's something to use.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Re: No nVidia 8800 Vista drivers. Not surprised, but saddened.

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
          Although I love my GPU under XP, because of the false advertising and the misleading statements (nVidia's website _still_ says drivers will be released with Vista retail) I would hesitate to buy another nVidia product.
          nVidia isn't the only company that is late on drivers. There are quite a few companies that were not able to get drivers out in time for Vista release and many of them stated they would. I wouldn't hold it against them too much. I've never had a problem with nvidia in the past.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
            Yeah, it still looks like just about everything runs better on XP than Vista currently anyway. This also was to be expected. It's going to take the release of something impressive before I choose to "upgrade" to Vista.

My guess is Nvidia is waiting for a title where the card runs better with Vista before releasing a suitable driver.

I'm not entirely surprised by those reviews. Considering it took MS 7 years to get XP into the state of stability reliability and useabiltiy it is today, i only hope vista takes a lot less time to get to where xp is today. But I do think most drivers will be released sooner then you think just so they dont get dropped by MS for not supporting them.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

So wait I'm confused. the 8800 is the only DX10 card out. You can only get DX10 with Vista. Um, so how does DX10 work then?
              flux
              [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by flux View Post
                So wait I'm confused. the 8800 is the only DX10 card out. You can only get DX10 with Vista. Um, so how does DX10 work then?
                Until nVidia releases a DX10 driver, it doesn't.
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

Update: The official 100.54 drivers have been released by nVidia. So far they seem like crap. No better than beta. Hold'em doesn't work correctly. Problems with Call of Duty 2. Company of Heros crashes on Cherbourg level. Playing some MPEG2 videos causes flashing. No support for 5.1 sound when connecting via HDMI.
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

Yikes!
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Re: No nVidia 8800 Vista drivers. Not surprised, but saddened.

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                      Those of us with an 8800 card know all the drama that has surrounded the lack of an official (beta or otherwise) Vista driver for our GPU. I am not surprised, but still saddened that with the launch of Vista the drivers are still not released.

Lol... Dude You need a Vista detox program. Just say no..its not worth it.

Comment

Let's all calm down. Take a deep breath. I have the same card and I'm not pulling my hair out. Twisted, do you already have Vista installed? I could see being upset if that were the case. But if not just be patient. Do you really need to use Vista right now? Probably not. If nvidia does not have solid drivers by the time the first DX10 games comes out (read: Crysis) then I will join you in your parade of contempt.

Comment

I am not particularly upset as in fuming. I just think it's a sad commentary on business ethics this day and age. In point of fact, it doesn't particularly affect me. I have XP installed on one HD and Vista on another. When I want to change my boot OS I just change the boot order in bios. This allows me to not have to deal with a dual-os boot sector and keep everything nice and tidy.

The purpose of this thread was to give TGers a heads-up on the current state of drivers and to have some discussion around issues that might have been encountered.

Heh, really, I'm not trying to start a flame war against nVidia.
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

Check the site now. They've posted the beta drivers. 8800 and non-8800 drivers for Vista 32&64 are available on the day of the Vista release to consumers. You've got to give them some credit that the non-8800 drivers are WHQL. It's a new OS and early adopters are going to go through some teething pains.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                              Check the site now. They've posted the beta drivers. 8800 and non-8800 drivers for Vista 32&64 are available on the day of the Vista release to consumers. You've got to give them some credit that the non-8800 drivers are WHQL. It's a new OS and early adopters are going to go through some teething pains.
                              They weren't available on the day Vista was released; they were available the day after. On top of which, after all the drama about them not wanting to release beta drivers because they wanted to be sure that 8800 owners had a premium experience what did they release on Vista launch? Beta drivers. Bad ones at that. Every game I've tried it on has some issue or other. Which leads me to wonder why they couldn't have just given 8800 owners beta drivers 2+ months ago when we first picked up the cards?

The whole 8800 Vista Ready marketing campaign was a bit of salesholemanship at its worse.
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse