Windows Vista Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista Tips

Here is a thread where you can place useful tips and shortcuts that help you in your day-to-day use of Windows Vista.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Windows Vista Tips

I am still discovering just how powerful the search features of the OS are. For example, it's much faster, generally, to start typing what you are looking for in the control panel search box rather than looking through the icons. Open up control panel and type "voice" and you see "Speech Recognition Options" or type "Index" and you see displays for "Indexing Options", and "Performance Information and Tools"

I have a feeling that the built-in-search which is ubiquitous throughout the OS is going to become as invaluable to me as google is for searching the web.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Comment

You can dynamically adjust the size of icons in a folder by holding down the CTRL key and scrolling the mouse wheel. This is particularly useful when you are browsing a folder full of pictures as you can make the thumbnails as large or as small as you wish.
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

There are several different ways to elevate an application to run as administrator, even if you are not logged in as administrator. Here are some of them:
        1. Right click on the tool and select "Run as administrator".
        2. Hit the Windows key, type in the name of the program, and then start it with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
        3. Open file properties, go to Compatibility, and select the "Run this program as Administrator" check box.
        4. Start an application from an elevated command prompt.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

I think I can get away with this on these boards. My main Vista tip is turn off User Account Protection and while you are at it make another user on your computer that has it on and isn't an admin account for other people to use.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
            I think I can get away with this on these boards. My main Vista tip is turn off User Account Protection and while you are at it make another user on your computer that has it on and isn't an admin account for other people to use.

Yes - UAP.. that was preventing me from running BF2 error free when I first installed it. Thanks for the reminder.

I just received Vista 64 today - I'll be working with that soon.
            sigpic

Comment

The Vista search engine has some special search codes you can use. If you just want to search for content or a file name, you can use the "content:" and "name:" designators, e.g. "content:foo name:foo.cs".
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

Twisted - Have you tried Rapid Boost yet? What do you think? I've plugged in a 4GB stick and haven't noticed much.. but it is constantly active.
                sigpic

Comment

I can't find the control which changes the colors and transparency for the borders of windowed programs. Anyone know where this is?
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Control Panel > Personalization > Window Color and Appearance

Comment

If you have Ultimate (or Enterprise) installed, you get Volume Shadow Copy. Right click on a file or folder, go to properties, then select the Previous Versions tab. You can rollback to an earlier version of the file. :D

Best feature evar.

(Yes, I know VMS had it too)

Comment

Thanks for that info, jep.

Does anyone know anything about the apparent Trillian-Aero incompatibility? I'm going to head over to the Trillian forums, will report back here if I find anything.

Solution: Upgrade Quicktime. v6 is included with Trillian. v7+ works with Aero.
                        Last edited by Nikolas; 02-11-2007, 02:36 PM.
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                          Twisted - Have you tried Rapid Boost yet? What do you think? I've plugged in a 4GB stick and haven't noticed much.. but it is constantly active.
                          I haven't tried ReadyBoost yet, although I've read good reviews in regards to how well it works. I think it would really depend on how much memory you already have installed. My guess is you would likely see a profound difference with a 4GB stick when you have 512MB of RAM and an incremental difference if you have 2GB+ RAM installed. ReadyBoost will be most apparent in application load time, as SuperFetch will work in conjunction with ReadyBoost to allow more apps to be cached.
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
                            To turn UAC on/off go to Control Panel, search for UAC and click on "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off".
                            Twisted Firestarter
                            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                            sigpic

Comment

I just got Vista Ultimate, one copy for my current box and another for the new box that's on the way. Expensive! However, I'm overly impressed. It looks like it was built off xwindows with KDE/gnome applied. It's not that slow either. Keep the tips coming please!
                              It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X