Clear All

• New video card problems

I just got a new videocard off newegg and its a X1650XT 256mb AGP

Essentially I need a good card to carry my system for another year:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (@2ghz)
    1024 pc2700 333mhz (various brands)
    Radeon 7000
    300W power supply

So here's the deal, I plug in the card to the agp slot and turned the computer on. The light on the video card lights up and the fan on it turns on, but the computer doesn't give me the POST single beep like it should, and no output on the monitor. So I turn it off and look around and forgot that I have to plug in my floppy drive connecter sized power plug into it (duh). So I did that now when I boot up I get the same symptoms except even with that, the light doesn't turn on the video card and just the fan spins.

I'm thinking of getting a 500W relatively cheap power supply off newegg. I checked the manual and it said that it recommends a 450W power supply. I'm assuming this is what I will need to run this card. Could it possibly be anything else causing the system to not boot up, or just not enough juice?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: New video card problems

Sounds like your power supply. I also had a 300W PSU when I upgraded from my old ATI Radeon 8500 to my NVidia 6800GT. I had the exact same symptoms too, so I put in a 550W PSU that I got for around $30 at a local computer store. No problems at all for me since. Hopefully, that's all your problem is. Good luck.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Most likely your PSU. Try and get a PSU with a +12V rail with at least 14A output. The whole wattage thing doesn't carry much weight anymore, as long as their is sufficient ampage from you 12V rail(s).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, how's this one look?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817162010

Comment

I'd probably go with a proven brand. Others have said it before, you get what you pay for in a power supply and you don't want to skimp.

Something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103937

I myself run an Ultra power supply. Ultra isn't necessary as well known as Antec or Thermaltake but after I researched them a bit I was quite impressed and it so happened that the local MicroCenter had a great deal on one (normally $110 but on special for $25 after a great rebate) when I happened to need one. It's been rock solid and works great with the 7800GS I just got.

Comment

That is a nice PSU, but I figure I'm only gonna have this computer for another year or so it should be sufficient. Would definitely be interested in a better one like that for my new rig.

Comment

I used to buy cheap power supplies until one night mine went out and destroyed my entire machine. It actually fried every component in the box and threw sparks out of the fan hole in the back.

When I had to rebuild I put in an Ultra PSU and have never looked back. It's nice and cheap and rock solid on the power rails. Trust me, don't skimp on the PSU.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Okay I'm reading the back of this box and it says under system requirements:
                "A 450watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps, 12 volt rail, is recommended to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.

All I have is the video card, my volcano 12 CPU cooler, 40gb 7200rpm HD, and 2 80mm case fans. Do I REALLY need 30Amps for all that? The most I'm looking at buying is 20, but I wonder if that will be enough.

I am wondering if my current PSU may have played a part in my 9800 pro IceQ going out after 2 years. It only has 12AMPS (under the +12)

Also its the number under the (+12) I'm looking for right?

Comment

30AMPS if it's a single 12V rail PSU, because it has to power your Vid card, HDD, ROM drive and fan motors and several CPU's. I doubt you'd need quite that much, but atleast 24A IMO. really depends on how much overclocking you do, and how much Umph your fans/case lighting needs.

Most PSU's nowadays are dual rail, 12-20A per. They allow you to power the GFX on one rail and everything else on the other.

and yes, the +12V is your 12V rail.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

How do I determine if it will just power my gfx card on one rail? Does it do that automatically, or is it by the way I plug things in?

For the one Digital Assasian posted, it shows this:
                    So this means it can provide a total of 36AMPs of total output if the computer needs it? Would I need to worry about not getting enough power if they're separate rails and one is only 17A and 19A on the other?

Comment

Honestly...I have not seen any single rail PSUs offering more than 24A on the +12V rail. Hell, I'm basically running a nearly fully loaded system + most of my 8 USB ports used up and my single rail PSU only puts out 16A on the single +12V.

The adding method is very crude and doesn't work for every PSU.

Aeroripper, anything between 14A and 20A is sufficient for your system. Go with the Antec one, it's made by SeaSonic, so it's pretty much top of the line in terms of quality, function, and power. I do not recommend DynaPower...I've already had 5 of them fail on me in the last 2 years alone.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I bought this powersupply well over a year ago, and it's working solid since, never had a single issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817170010

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                          That is a nice PSU, but I figure I'm only gonna have this computer for another year or so it should be sufficient. Would definitely be interested in a better one like that for my new rig.
                          Well, that's ok, if you buy one you REALLY like, you can move it on over to your next computer when you get it. I'm personally a fan of the modular power supplies. Nice and clean, since you only plug in what you need. I like having my case look tidy. It's might be just aesthetic, but it's just kind of nice. They're usually pretty high end too.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

random question...how do you check what PSU you have without opening up your box?

Comment

You have to open up the case. The identifying stickers are usually on the part of the PSU that's inside the case.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X