Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Ubuntu in a virtual machine

Hey all;

So the title describes pretty concisely what I want to do. I don't know where to get started. I know there's a lot of pros in here, so let's get right to the part where I profit from all your knowledge!

:D

Dice.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Run Ubuntu in a virtual machine

no need for a virtual machine. you can download a live cd version of it. Burn that image to a disk and pop it in your drive. Boot to teh CD and it runs like a normal linux would, wont mess anything up or change your xp stuff.

http://www.ubuntu.com/access/livecd?...%29%7C%28cd%29

its also the same download as if you where gonna install it right away off the disk
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

He wants to run it in a virtual machine though. A LiveCD isn't the same.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
        He wants to run it in a virtual machine though. A LiveCD isn't the same.
        Icky's right. I was hoping for a virtual machine setup - that said, a LiveCD will be a good place to start. I'll have a look at the web page and see what can be engineered. Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else who knows of a good, free VM program, let me know. Thanks.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

I believe MS made their VM machine free a few years ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...loads/sp1.mspx

really easy to setup and run
          -Vulcan

Comment

Brilliant - that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks Trooper!

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

I believe VMWare is also free. The cost is if you want to use it for image mastering, but if you just want a VM, you are all set. And I am pretty sure I have booted a LiveCD inside a VMWare session, so that would be a damn quick way of achieving what you want.

Comment

Runs fine under the free VMWare Server platform on my laptop with no issues at all.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the tips, guys. Microsoft's VM worked great. I'll try VMWare out later today hopefully.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

I prefer VMWare to Microsoft's solution any day. It seems to be far more versatile, stable, and performs better.

Just my own $0.02.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

dice with all this talk of linux i might have to have some fun later.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
                        dice with all this talk of linux i might have to have some fun later.
                        I tried that line on my wife once and it was fruitless. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X