Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Vista, or not to Vista?

Hello All!
    So a buddy of mine gave me a fully legit copy of the new windows vista his company purchased and I was wondering if itís worth using? I primarily play BF2 and have a pretty decent machine with 2gigs of 3200 ram and a good vid card and more but im worried that upgrading to Vista might cause my games to run less smoothly due to the fact that Vista uses more than twice the resources of my current copy of win xp professional.

Any feedback on your experiences with Vista would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
    Warcriminal
    chillin n' killin wit authoritaaaaa!!

Re: To Vista, or not to Vista?

What's your current system specs?

I run my games just the same on Vista 32-bit if not better on these specs:
    Intel E6400 @ 3Ghz
    2GB RAM
    7900GT
    Creative X-Fi

One thing I've noticed is games exit and alt-tab much faster than XP. It's almost instantaneous. I'd be more worried about hardware compatibility and getting software to run like it did in XP.

2142 didn't run quite right until the latest beta nVidia drivers.

I have to figure out my Bluetooth mouse. It works but the base station should connect other BT devices.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Right now im running
      AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ @ 1.80GHz
      ASUS mobo
      6800 GT OC video card by BMG
      RAID 0 setup for C: drive using 2 WD Raptor HD's
      2Gigs of 3200 Ram

Whatcha think?
      Warcriminal

Comment

You'll be fine. The 2GB of RAM really helps since Vista uses it to cache your most frequently used programs. Your applications will open faster as a result. If another program needs more memory, Vista will give it up so it doesn't really hog resources. Vista uses resources more efficiently. Why have 2GB of RAM if the OS doesn't use it, right?

Comment

Very good point, what the hell....ill give it a try and let ya'll know how it goes.

Thank you very much for the reply ;)
          Warcriminal

Comment

Erm...if you want your OS primarily as your game system do not run Vista. At least, not yet. Currently you will take a performance hit on almost any game you run under Vista. Some game performance degradation will be small and perhaps unnoticeable, others will be very noticeable.

Vista is a great OS, but you gain nothing by using it as your gaming system yet.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

No early adoption for me. I'm happy to continue status quo until I have to upgrade

Asus A8n5X
              Amd X2 4800+
              EVGA 7900 GT GPU
              WD 74GB Raptor
              2 X 1GB Corsair XMS RAM
              Audigy 2ZS Gamer edition
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

The only problems I've had in Vista is that nvidia drivers don't support SLi for the 7000 series cards. Other then that everything has been preaty good.

Comment

what is the difference in business and home? Im guessing what its missing you can just download to get it useable at home. I myself as well have the chance to get a free version of Vista but its business edition.
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Business doesn't have the media center. Ultimate and Home Premium have the media center. I don't think there's much to be missed from Home Premium to Business.

Comment

i dont need the media center just media player...so maybe ill do it
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks for all your comments guys, I really appreciate your feedback.

I got Vista installed and man is it sweet...im glad some of you convinced me to go ahead and install it because Vista looks and feels great. I reinstalled BF2, rebooted, and then installed the latest patch and everything seems to work perfectly but as soon as the weapon selection screen appears I get kicked by punkbuster for the following reason.

Any Ideas? I right clicked on the BF2 desktop Icon and told it to "Run as Administrator" but I keep getting the error. Any ideas?

Warcriminal

Comment

Did you buy BF2 through the EA Link or retail store? There might be another executable that you have to set to run as admin.

Comment

I pre-ordered my BF2 CD's directly from EA and got it the day it launched. There are 3 CD's total.

Also, since this seems to be a PB related issue I also submitted a trouble ticket to PunkBuster as well.

I also found the following article on another site and followed the steps but still getting the same PB kick everytime.

"Why am I getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges"?

PunkBuster now requires players to run the game as an administrator under WinXP/2K. Why?

Because some cheats/hacks cannot be detected otherwise.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective?

Yes (under Win XP Pro or Win 2K). This can be accomplished by setting certain privileges for the user that will run the game.

To do this, first temporarily log in as an Administrator. Then go to Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy. This will open up the Local Security setting window. Expand the Local Policies folder and select, User Rights Assignment. This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer.

You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges.

If the user is logged in while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect.

# Debug Programs
                            # Load and unload device drivers
                            # Manage auditing and security log
                            # Modify Firmware environment values
                            # Profile Single Process

This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" button. You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list. If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked. Then click "OK". Click on the "Find Now" button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system. Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click

"OK". Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window. Repeat this process for the rest of the list. That user will now be able to play on PB servers without getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges".

For XP Home Users Additional Info:

Use this solution to make either an Administrator Account or a Limited Account have the correct rights to run correctly:

1) Logon as the Administrator

2) Download NTRights.exe self extracting archive that contains the NTRights.exe and the following batch file:

CODE
                            c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeDebugPrivilege
                            c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeLoadDriverPrivilege
                            c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSecurityPrivilege
                            c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
                            c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege
                            pause

3. When you run the exe it will prompt you for the path to extract (default = c:NTRights

4. Right click the NTRights.cmd and select Edit, replace "Tester" with the name of your user account name that has the problem.

5. Save and run the NTRights.cmd by double clicking on it

6. Click on the game EXE, and choose "Run as...", enter your limited user and the password and check if you can play that now.

Do NOT log off in this process or log in again with that user! Just do all of the above steps in one go.

More Additional information: "Inadequate O/S Privileges" Help"

Still no workie :(
                            Warcriminal

Comment

I've heard of this being an issue for 2142 and the fix was to run as administrator. There must be some weird permissions problem with some of the PB files.

Keep an eye on this thread: http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108615

He's having the same problem.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...