Mice Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice Question

Ok I have around a 4-5 year old mouse... a Logitech MX 300. Looked it up seems to have 800 dpi. So I was looking into getting a new mouse, and was wondering if I would notice a difference, besides an added button.More specifically if I would notice a difference in the tacking, because right now this ones seems to be tracking just fine. But I was wondering if it seems fine because I don't know what else is out there type thing.

Only thing I have noticed with this mouse is that in gaming when I am going for a zoomed up shot in BF2142. If I am going for the head shot in some cases the cross hair will no get centered in the middle, jumping from the left side of the head to the right, even if I barely move the mouse. This is at really long ranges however. Dunno if this is my mouse or the game.So ya I mainly use my mouse from graphic apps (PS, 3Drendering, ect.) and gaming just wondering if there is a noticeable difference.

Re: Mice Question

I'm partial to the mice from Razer. I think you'll find someone that uses pretty much everything out there here at TG but the Logitech and Razer camps are pretty vocal around here.

These days I don't think you can lose no matter what you pick but I'd recommend either the Razer Diamondback or the new Razer Death Adder if you are looking for a gaming mouse. That or one of the newer Logitech mice.

Both brands offer on-the-fly sensitivity with their gaming mice and once you see what you can do with it you'll love it.

Comment

Having an extra button is a big difference right there. I hate "gaming" mice that have the standard 3 buttons. A gaming mouse should have at least 6 buttons and the option for on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I only have experience with newer Logitech gaming mice but the Razers are supposed to be just as good or better. I've got a Logitech G5 that I've had for over year now. The default sensitivity settings work great for me but you can set up to 5 different sensitivities between 2000dpi and like 600dpi (I think that's as low as it goes). It works great in games like BF2 since you can have a setting for when you're on foot, one for sniping, and one for driving tanks, helos, ect.

I do have a few gripes about it though. For one, it's only got one thumb button. The model before the G5 (the MX1500 or something) had at least two. Logitech claims that people would complain about hitting the wrong one but I think you'd have to be pretty uncoordinated to do that. If you're already that bad then a nice mouse isn't going to help you. It kinda makes up for this with the "tilt wheel" though. You can tilt the center wheel left or right in addition to rolling it and pressing down. In Battlefield 2 I have all of the different movements on the mouse wheel set to select a different weapon so I don't have to screw around with the whole scrolling through weapons and clicking crap.

The other problem with the G5 actually is the scroll wheel. It doesn't really "click" into position. You might roll it and feel it click 3 times but sometimes it'll register as 2, or 4, or 3.5 It makes it hard to do anything very accurately with the scroll wheel. I hear this was fixed in the G7 (essentially it's just a wireless G5, minus the stupid weight thing)

So there's my opinion on the newer Logitech mice. I'd say go for the MX1500 (or whatever model was just before the G5) if you don't care about wireless and get the G7 if you do. That assuming, of course, that you get a Logitech. I'd try out the Razer mice that DigitalAssasain mentioned before making a decision though. Or you could stick with you're current mouse if you don't mind not being able to make pinpoint sniper shots in BF2142. If that's the only problem I wouldn't spend the money on a new mouse.
        AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

The newer Logitech mice go from 800 dpi to 2000 dpi. I own the G7 which is 2000 dpi, has one side button, a tilt scroll wheel button, standard left and right, and a + and - button for sensitivity adjustment. All of these buttons are customizable with the nice included software.

The higher resolution you use, you will notice a much more responsive and sensitive movement and tracking. Other than that, the Laser ones are supposed to have better tracking than standard optical.

When your trying to get a headshot with scope/zoom, that's the "drift" programmed into the game, nothing is wrong with your mouse.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

When your trying to get a headshot with scope/zoom, that's the "drift" programmed into the game, nothing is wrong with your mouse.
            Well I did not mean bullet drift, I mean the crosshair will sometimes not line up dead center on the head. Just wondering if that part was game related or mouse related.

How exactly does DPI work? I mean does a lower DPI mean that a movement on your mouse will move 5 pixels over as apposed to the same move on a higher DPI will move like 2 pixels over?

Comment

ok so I went ahead and got a G5...and I am still kinda undisided on it. The tracking seems a bit off, especially when I put it in the high DPI...or it could be the tracking is right on and my old mouse was off and I am just used to that. Was using an old Max Payne mouse pad, which I think the pattern might be messing up the laser...my optical had no problem with it however.

The switching of the DPI is pretty sweet, although my favorite feature is the tilt wheel. Sweet for games, but even sweeter for graphic apps. In PS normally I could only scroll vertically...but now I can do horizontal also. Which is sweeeeeet. Also I set the DPI buttons to zoom in and out in PS which is even more crazy awesome. I don't have to use the keyboard now. So that part I am super happy with...jkust the tracking still seems odd to me least when I am trying to do really pinpoint stuff like select a secific pixel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X