Newbie V-card Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie V-card Question

hey guys need help looking at getting a new card but not sure what to get . I have ATi 9800 pro and im looking at two cards

BFG GeForce Overclocked Card (6800GT) at $649 or

BFG GeForce NVIDIA SLI-Ready GeForce OC 7950GT 512MB Video Card at $349

whats would be a great v-card for gaming ? sick of getting a card and like in a few months time i have to turn down settings in game , plus will it work with new vista ? ..........

Re: Newbie V-card Question

first question are you gonna be getting Vista anytime in the future. My advice is if yes then wait and get a Dx 10 card. If not the 7950GT is a good choice.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I agree with trooper. If you are thinking about directx 10 then wait a little while longer to see what ATI comes out with. That way prices may come down a little or at least you will have more to choose from. That is what I am doing anyway.

Comment

this is the card im gettin with my new system for now... the dx10 cards are still to pricey for my budget. maybe in 6 months i could save up for 1 but not right now lol.... the 7950 gt is a good choice :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...397&CatId=1839

Comment

Stop listening to these people! You have a 9800 pro which is an AGP card (you should probably verify this, but I am 99.9% sure ATI never made a PCI-e 9800 series). That means you can only use AGP cards. Therefore the dx10 cards and the card above will not work on your motherboard (unless your motherboard happens to have both AGP and PCI-e slots).

So you have two options:

1) 1950 Pro AGP:
          http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=SAPPHIRE

2)7800GS AGP:
          http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...20Technologies

Those are preaty top of the line in terms of AGP (x1950 pro being the best)... altough AGP is dieing off, so I doubt it'll get better then this. So yes they'll work in Vista, but they cannot run directX 10 games (which don't come out for a couple of months now). But if these dx10 games support dx9 (which they will for a while), then the cards above may last a year or two.

Note: prices on the site above are in Canadian Dollars.

Comment

Zoopy has a point. ATI never made a PCI-E version of it's 9xxx series.

Either the X1950 for the 7800GS will do you just fine (more so for the X1950 than the 7800GS) for the next year or so. You can pick either of them up from NewEgg. Shipping is fast, and manufacturer selection is great (along with reviews).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you can spare the time and money to upgrade to a DX10 card, you could get the 7950 and sell it for a DX10 card later. Although, it might be better to get a DX10 card now if you can't wait to upgrade that 9800 Pro.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

so i should wait for a bit ? and get a card with DX10 ? and yea it is a AGP card as for Vista im in no hurry for that

Comment

If you have to get an AGP card, it's DX9 for you. I'm not sure when or if there will be a AGP DX10 card.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

There probably won't be.

Floody, I'm also in the same AGP boat as you, so no worries :D I suggest getting the X1950 if you plan on gaming on that system for at least another year. If not, then go for a cheaper card like the X1600 Pro or the 7600GT.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                      Stop listening to these people! You have a 9800 pro which is an AGP card (you should probably verify this, but I am 99.9% sure ATI never made a PCI-e 9800 series). That means you can only use AGP cards. Therefore the dx10 cards and the card above will not work on your motherboard (unless your motherboard happens to have both AGP and PCI-e slots).

So you have two options:

1) 1950 Pro AGP:
                      http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=SAPPHIRE

2)7800GS AGP:
                      http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...20Technologies

Those are preaty top of the line in terms of AGP (x1950 pro being the best)... altough AGP is dieing off, so I doubt it'll get better then this. So yes they'll work in Vista, but they cannot run directX 10 games (which don't come out for a couple of months now). But if these dx10 games support dx9 (which they will for a while), then the cards above may last a year or two.

Note: prices on the site above are in Canadian Dollars.
                      Good call Zoopy. I didn't know that and I did not even think to check.

Comment

hey guys what about if i got this card for now... how good will this be ?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca:80/applica...CCODE=CANEM754

Comment

Originally posted by FLooDY View Post
                          hey guys what about if i got this card for now... how good will this be ?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca:80/applica...CCODE=CANEM754
                          That card is pci express. I think you need an agp card.

Comment

Here's two AGP cards on par with the one you picked out Floody...

eVGA 7600GS (shipped for ~$116): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130076
                            PowerColor X1600Pro (shipped for ~$111): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131427
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Make sure your power supply can handle it, don't be nub like me ;D.
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X