Vista Owners, Raise Your Hands.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Owners, Raise Your Hands.

Out of curiosity, how many in the TG community (SMs and non-SMs) already run the retail version of either a 32-bit or 64-bit Vista on their PCs?

I want to get a count, so I know when to make a Vista purchase by along with my new system.

Oh, also post why you got Vista if you already own a copy of XP/2000.

(Hmm, I can't make a poll...)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Vista Owners, Raise Your Hands.

Are they selling Vista on college campuses for the educational discount? If so I will have my sister pick me up a copy.

Comment

<Raises hand>

I have Vista Buisness Edition. The reason I got it? My school gives it out for free (thank you msndaa). I enjoy it more then XP at the moment. My only problem is the lack of drivers, but that's a given.

Comment

I have switched to Vista.

It's part of my yob to check this stuff out at release. I do not do Beta's or Release Candidates because I find they color my opinion prematurely.

I have used Vista Home Premium 32-bit and I am installing 64-bit over it now as I type.

So far the entire package has installed without a hitch.. everything worked out of the box - but not optimized. Downloading the drivers has been no problem at all. I've found all manufacturers for the components in my PC have both the 32 and 64-bit drivers readily available on their websites. Components include - Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, ATI Radeon X1950XTX, Highpoint RocketRAID 2310, Logitech Setpoint. Everything else is well detected and supported within Vista.

BF2 and all mods worked great, although a permissions adjustment needs to be made to play BF2 - it's mentioned elsewhere in a thread.. it's no big deal. The best thing is the Inclusion of Windows Media Center Extender.. it works great (again, right out of the box) with Xbox360 and already stored media.

jmaker -=> yeah, like Zoopy mentioned, MSNDAA already has it available on campuses, we have a few former students at work picking it up.. so far it seems to be limited to Business edition, which does not include the Media Extender.

One limitation I know of that I will deal with next week when I start up Business Edition is that Autodesk does not play well yet with Vista and I'll have to deal with the hoops of getting AutoCAD 2007 to work in an office environment.

So far, the experience has been unexpectedly very good. Security measures are very good and unobtrusive. The 64-bit install IS much faster and visual appearances do seem MUCH smoother. Still checking that out - so stay tuned.
        sigpic

Comment

yup i got it but im still using xp on another HD. I like vista a lot, but for me, i only got it for dx10. Until drivers become more mainstream and dx10 games start showing up, im gonna run XP.

Comment

ok then that would be my question to you all,,,,,

is VISTA worth getting right now????? im gettin my new system next week and i believe its a option to upgrade to vista should i or shouldnt i. do you realy need it right now???? im leaning toward holding off unless someone convinces me otherwise :) i realy wont need it for anything untill i save up for that dx10 card later this year....xp works fine for me but i guess the question is, should i get vista or not right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy View Post
              ok then that would be my question to you all,,,,,

is VISTA worth getting right now????? im gettin my new system next week and i believe its a option to upgrade to vista should i or shouldnt i. do you realy need it right now???? im leaning toward holding off unless someone convinces me otherwise :) i realy wont need it for anything untill i save up for that dx10 card later this year....xp works fine for me but i guess the question is, should i get vista or not right now.
              I have no problem recommending Vista right now. So far (granted, I don't know your system specs), but so far I am VERY impressed. I just now did the Mic check for BF2.. and it worked off the bat.. thats impressive to me.. XP never did that out of the box. Maybe it's just me.. To me it's worth a $100 upcharge, and I paid $149.. but so far VERY impressive.. as a $10 bonus.. 64 bit works VERY well.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                I have no problem recommending Vista right now. So far (granted, I don't know your system specs), but so far I am VERY impressed. I just now did the Mic check for BF2.. and it worked off the bat.. thats impressive to me.. XP never did that out of the box. Maybe it's just me.. To me it's worth a $100 upcharge, and I paid $149.. but so far VERY impressive.. as a $10 bonus.. 64 bit works VERY well.
                this is just rough im gettin everything printed out by him this weeks as to everything thats in it.......

i know its a sli mobo the # i dont know yet, he said it one of the best they make

antec case(still deciding which 1)

Intel Core duo E6600

2 gigs of PC 800 ddr2 mem

320 gig western digital jb hd

7950 gt ko 512mb vid card

20x +/- dvdrw dbl wit lightscribe

19" lcd monitor(havent decided which 1 yet either) lol

ill get more info this week and post back

Comment

Depends what you use it for. If you use it for multimedia, it is the bomb. For gaming, lots of issues currently from what I have tried. You throw in the lack of drivers for things like SLI, I would hold off for now. I have also seen no major improvement in FPS for games, some are even slower. If this is the only OS and hard drive you will use, I would hold off. Stick with XP until all the bugs and drivers are worked out.

My .02 cents
                  "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                    <Raises hand>

I have Vista Buisness Edition. The reason I got it? My school gives it out for free (thank you msndaa). I enjoy it more then XP at the moment. My only problem is the lack of drivers, but that's a given.
                    Ditto here.

Most stuff works for me. My tv tuner is way too old to have Vista support. My MX900 works but the BT receiver needs some drivers or something so I can connect my BT headset.

The 8800 beta drivers work well with my 7900GT. I've found drivers for just about every device other than the ones that had Vista support built-in.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Hmm interesting...

Would still like to see more posts from the other Vista TG users out there before I add anymore questions or comments.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

P8triot is there any way you can get the Ultimate version?

Comment

only had compatibility issues with vanguard and thats because there game is a beta that happened to be released to early.
                          Current member of the

Comment

Actually I should insert this:

I'm more or less going to get the 32-bit Vista Home Premium, although I was originally looking at Ultimate. But now, I'm not sure if I should get Premium or Ultimate. Seeing how my trend with XP was to get Pro and not Home, should I follow that trend and get Ultimate instead of Premium? What extras does Ultimate offer beyond the "improved networking" and "Bit Locker Encryption"?

I've also read several user reviews, and many who have bought Ultimate say that it is a resource hog. How much physical RAM does it after startup? I know for XP for me, it eats around 300 MBs after loading up.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Vista Business uses about 600MB after startup. After extended use, it goes up to about 1GB. Nothing is slow about it though because there is reason it's using the RAM. If an application needs the RAM, Vista allocates more to the application. It's not really a hog because it gives up the resources if another application really needs it.

Ultimate has some other extras that the other versions don't have such as video desktop, Texas Hold 'Em and whatever. Check Microsoft's website for a comparison.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X