Another review:

http://techgage.com/print/windows_vi...rmance_reports
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Review of Game Performance Under Vista

Originally posted by TechGage Article
      So, I've said it before and will say it again. Vista is a good operating system... but it's -far- from being even 90% reliable. When going from an XP machine to Vista, it feels like you just went from a Toyota Celica to a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. The only problem is, that it feels like your new Ferrari borrowed your Celicas engine. We'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

In the end, if you are making the move to Vista and are a gamer, you may as well prepare to partition your hard drive to dual boot. You are not going to want to go through the hassle of making your games run smooth in Vista, or go through the trouble of tweaking to make it happen. Hopefully within the next two months, NVIDIAs drivers will be much more refined and -all- games should run as they do on XP, or at least close to it. I regret not having an ATI card on hand to perform testing there as well, but it may not be a far stretch to expect a similar experience there.

Addendum: An unregistered poster in our forums made this comment: "Microsoft stripped DirectSound and DirectSound 3D from Vista, meaning that there is no hardware audio in any DirectSound game. No fancy effects or even surround sound. Just plain old stereo. I don't know why they did it, but there you have it."

I forgot to make mention of this, but its true. OpenAL is the primary sound technology used in Vista, so future games released will have this support. For games that lack this OpenAL support, companies like Creative will be releasing special drivers that will convert all DirectSound 3D to OpenAL so that it can be used appropriately. It's clunky, but its better than nothing. This is another good reason that Vista is not the right OS for current gaming.
      Hmmm...
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I'm staying with it for now. I can only run 1600x1050 or something on my new LCD so with that resolution, 4GB of memory, and an 8800GTS, I should be able to run everything fine. There isn't really any difference in a constant 60fps and a constant 100fps is there? Or is that a myth I read? I would think as long as you stay above stuttering rates you should be fine...

It's also 2 weeks old and Nvidia has released new drivers since then...

That all said, I think the biggest issue is the removal of sound from DirectX.
        It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Here's an interesting interview with an nVidia driver development manager:

http://www.firingsquad.com/print_art...rticle_id=2109
          Twisted Firestarter
          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fldash View Post
            I'm staying with it for now. I can only run 1600x1050 or something on my new LCD so with that resolution, 4GB of memory, and an 8800GTS, I should be able to run everything fine. There isn't really any difference in a constant 60fps and a constant 100fps is there? Or is that a myth I read? I would think as long as you stay above stuttering rates you should be fine...

It's also 2 weeks old and Nvidia has released new drivers since then...

That all said, I think the biggest issue is the removal of sound from DirectX.
            FPS has a different effect on each person. Some can tell the difference between 100 FPS and 60 FPS. Even some games make it feel different. I can play comfortably at 30 FPS but overall play is smoother for me if the average is higher. It lessens the number of times the FPS dips below the mark where it feels sluggish to you.

Vista definitely has some problems with nVidia cards. Nothing to the point of unplayable for non-8800 cards though. Well, I guess there's the lack of SLI support but there are also a few bugs. Some games don't keep the desktop up on my second monitor. When I exit the game, the second desktop is a garbled screen of colours. Sleep mode has the same bug when waking up except it'll occur with both monitors. The beta 8800 drivers fix the sleep problem.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The '100FPS' and '60FPS' numbers are averages. I don't think that many people will tell a difference between 60FPS and 100FPS. But as Sarc said, the problem isn't when you're at 60FPS - it's when you inevitably dip below. How low, how long, and how frequently will your FPS drop below the noticeable mark?
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Hmm, I'm mainly concerned with my older collection of games ability to run on Vista. Like Freespace 1, Star Trek Armada 1, Elite Force 1/2, Jedi Academy, and Starcraft.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I got Freespace and can try it out. I don't know if it'll work because I'm not sure of the older DX support with the nVidia drivers. I remember someone saying that the 8800 couldn't run older games (Falcon 4) properly in XP.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Hmm, I'm mainly concerned with my older collection of games ability to run on Vista. Like Freespace 1, Star Trek Armada 1, Elite Force 1/2, Jedi Academy, and Starcraft.
                    I've got Freespace 2 and it worked fine except for the installer. (I already had it installed from when XP was on) Vista labeled it as a "16-bit Setup Launcher" so thats possibly the cause. (Though I thought x86 Vista could run 16-bit apps...) Tried running it in various compatibility modes but no luck.

Don't have ST:EF installed either, but Tremulous, which also uses the Quake 3 engine, worked fine, so there isn't any reason other games based on Q3 wouldn't run.

It's a safe bet that Armada and Starcraft work too. I haven't come across any games yet that just plain don't work.

Found this website that lists some of the games that work and don't work under Vista (and other OSes): http://www.compatdb.org/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X