Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Hard drive keeps locking up during gameplay!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Hard drive keeps locking up during gameplay!

This happens with any game I try to play. I start up the game, and after a few varying minutes, the hard drive makes a 'TOCK' sound and the whole PC locks up.

Is my hard drive beginning to die? This has been the latest in a number of incidents of the hard drive making 'TOCK'ing sounds and locking up during the past few months.

Re: Help! Hard drive keeps locking up during gameplay!

lol i would say save what ya can to disk and start shopping. when they make strange noises their gona die..... ive lost quite a bit of data by waiting to long. if ya can buy a new hard drive, hook it up and tranfer everything from the ole one to the new one before it completely dies. dont wait to long, use it less as possible, i wouldnt use it at all till i had a new hard drive and waz tranfering data from old to new.

Comment

Although it is good idea to get a new hard drive, this may simply be some bad sectors on the drive. Whenever the drive tries to read the particular sector the computer locks up because it is waiting for data from that sector, which may or may not be delivered after a few tries.

Run chkdisk on the drive with the "fix" option. This can often move the data off bad sectors and mark them as bad so the HD will not try to use them anymore.

Also, most newer motherboard support S.M.A.R.T (Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology). Go into your bios and turn this on if it is available. This will monitor the health of your HD and allow you to keep an eye on it.
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

The chckdsk might fix the bad sectors long enough for you to get your files off of them, but in my experiece, once I start getting bad sectors, they keep coming back and is usually sign of impending doom for your hard drive. You're best off not chancing it and getting a new one in my opinion. Besides, it's a great excuse to upgrade to that 500GB HD you've been wanting.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

If you get a hard sound like that, I'd check the cables to it first. Several times I've had hard drives go nuts because the IDE cable wasn't firmly set.

But yeah, I like to replace hard drives ASAP after they start to behave oddly. They're cheap enough now to almost be considered disposable.

Comment

what size PSU do you have?
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

thats what I'm saying or trying to say, IMO its not worth taking the chance, lol Ive learned the hard way and have spent many hours re-downloading and installing because Ive waited to long many times. HD's are cheap(pending on what ya buy) and for the few dollars it will save allot of stress and aggravation.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
                what size PSU do you have?
                A crappy generic 400 Watt PSU. I never bothered to purchase a brand-name one, besides, it's almost the end of my single-core AGP-only PC anyway.

Comment

I only asked because i was having the same issues with that TOCK sound but i upgraded my PSU and it went away. I went from a 350 to a 450 and it seemed to do the trick
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Is your hard drive a Western Digital?

And how long have you own it?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nope, it's a Maxtor. I've owned it since 2003-2004-ish. It's gone through one reformatting after it suddenly went from NFTS to RAW.

Comment

Sounds like a good excuse to build a new system!
                        |TG|Melee
                        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Money please!

EDIT: Partly good news, the hard drive has stopped tocking whenever I play a game...for now. But I guess it's a safe bet to purchase one right now...looking towards that Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS.
                          Last edited by Paperchase; 02-09-2007, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X