No announcement yet.

Building New Rig...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building New Rig...

Hi guys, the wife has given me the go-head to build a new rig using all new components because she wants to keep the old computer intact for herself.

I don't really have a budget but I do have some questions.

My main concerns at this point revolve around the GPU and Vista.

I really want DX10 so that I'm not buying another card in a year but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it at this point. Are the 8800 series cards about to be trumped and come down in price or is Nvidia going to fill the gap between it and the 7950 (with say an 8300 model)? That would obviously cause the 8800 series cards to keep their value a bit longer.

I can get an 8800 GTS after rebates from NewEgg for $355 (the MSI brand). That doesn't seem that bad considering... However, that price is around 30% less than the GTX and the GTS gets about 20% less performance... So maybe the GTX is the best bet for future-proofing myself.

Also, what exactly is the deal with Vista. Which copy do I need and how much is it going to set me back. I don't want an upgrade only copy either. What are the differences in each type? And should I run the 64-bit edition if I'm using a Core 2 Duo?

Another thing I'm having a hard time deciding is the case. I want it to fit in my desks enclosure which means it can't be over 18" tall and it needs to have as much ventilation, air movement, and fans as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As of now, this is what I'm considering:

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB x 2

Everything else is up in the air... also, looking for a widescreen LCD that's good for gaming and at least 20".
    It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Re: Building New Rig...

I am waiting on a directX 10 card a little while longer to see what ATI comes out with. This is the info I found so far:
    I am hoping that when nvidia has some competion the price will come down or ATI's will be even better.

I have the same mobo you chose and I like it alot. I went with the e6600 because of the 4 mb cache. I don't know a whole lot about what that means but I was told that allows for better overclocking capabilities. Hope that helps.

Do not buy Windows Vista.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

I recommend if you don't already use them.

I'd hold off on Vista as well. By the middle of the year, as Marstein said in another thread, I bet all driver issues will be worked out. Go with XP home for $99 bucks till then.

Newegg has amazing search features that will help you to drill down through the choices on cases...You'll find all kinds of info and specs on their pages. I own a Thermaltake Shark and highly recommend it to anyone...anyone who has the space that is...It's a full tower and would likely not fit in your smaller space.

Someone else mentioned the 6600...that'd be my choice as well...
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Check Microsoft's website on the differences between the Vista versions. Check this forum for opinions and feedback on how well Vista runs and compatibility issues.

Definitely get a DX10 card. Since you want this new card to last, a DX10 card is the best option. Otherwise, you may be upgrading the card again at the end of the year just to try out some DX10 games. If you plan to upgrade the card after a year, you may be able to hold out with a 7950 or similar DX9 card.

You can wait until the ATI card comes out but I don't see the GTX/GTS cards coming down in price. It's the current flagship product so it'll have the highest price of all the nVidia cards. When ATI does release a DX10 card, I imagine nVidia will release lower end DX10 cards to capture the majority of the penny savers. Pretty much get the best card when the time comes to buy. There really aren't any credible R600 benchmarks so who knows how well ATI's DX10 card will be.

Go with the Gigabyte DS3 instead of the S3. The DS3 costs more because of solid state capacitors. This means it'll be more stable and more reliable.

- It's who you game with.

Check Microsoft's website on the differences between the Vista versions.

I'm using NewEgg for sure and I have everything pieced together. I decided on the 6600 and the 8800 GTS. I'm going to drop the video card (I had the X-Fi) and just use on-board sound for now. I really hate Creative and their bloat-ware drivers. I have a Hercules Fortissimo VII that I love in my old PC. I may put it in the new one and enable the on-board sound on the old one.

I swapped out the S3 for the DS3 like you recommended. It was only a $7 upgrade.

After all my components, including the 22" wide-screen LCD, I'm looking at just under $2000. I added another 2GB of memory based on that 2GB vs 4GB Vista gaming article (even if I don't upgrade to it right away).

Here's the final component list from - Remember this has to be a complete system since I'm giving the other one to my wife.

Sunbeam IC-SS-SVBK Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
            Item #: N82E16811166030

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
            Item #: N82E16822144701

CHIMEI 221D-NBC Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
            Item #: N82E16824252008

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
            Item #: N82E16814130071
            $30.00 Mail-in Rebate

Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail
            Item #: N82E16817371002

Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers - Retail
            Item #: N82E16836121119

Rosewill RK250 Black PS/2 Wired Multi-media Keyboard - Retail
            Item #: N82E16823201018

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
            Item #: N82E16826104178

WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C4-2048K - Retail
            Item #: N82E16820161063
            ($209.99 each)

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
            Item #: N82E16813128012

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
            Item #: N82E16835118223

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
            Item #: N82E16819115003

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM
            Item #: N82E16827151141

Subtotal: $1,943.87
            Last edited by fldash; 02-09-2007, 04:12 PM.
            It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

I got everything in yesterday and the wife was kind enough to let me throw it together after we got done with dinner.

I tried the power for the first time after I had only the memory, CPU, and video card installed. Got video! I think this is one of the few times where I didn't have to play with something to get video. ;)

Will install Vista tonight... Can't wait!

ya i pick up mine today, we are almost the same with everything(ordered 2 weeks ago) but im not going with vista yet(my computer guy said wait 3-6 months) stickin with xp for now and went with the 7950 gt ko($265) and will wait to get the 8800 if the price ever comes down. also got the 680i Sli motherboard just incase :)

total price with 19 inch lcd waz $2050 dollars not to bad i guess

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed