Vista Gaming: 2GB vs 4GB of RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Gaming: 2GB vs 4GB of RAM

Since I am getting an extra 2GB of RAM for Vista (mostly to take advantage of SuperFetch), I thought I'd look for what improvements in gaming, if any, I could expect with the extra memory. I found this review, which shows an 18% increase in framerate for battlefield 2142 and a 19% increase in Call of Duty 2.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Vista Gaming: 2GB vs 4GB of RAM

Very interesting. Nice find.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
      Since I am getting an extra 2GB of RAM for Vista (mostly to take advantage of SuperFetch), I thought I'd look for what improvements in gaming, if any, I could expect with the extra memory. I found this review, which shows an 18% increase in framerate for battlefield 2142 and a 19% increase in Call of Duty 2.
      Wouldn't you expect to see the same increases on xp by adding that much ram?

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
        Wouldn't you expect to see the same increases on xp by adding that much ram?
        Not unless he was using x64-bit, 32-bit windows doesn't support 4GB i don't think.
        Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
          Not unless he was using x64-bit, 32-bit windows doesn't support 4GB i don't think.
          It does, but normally 32-bit windows only exposes 2gb of virtual memory (3gb with a boot option) to each process- to use more than that in 32-bit mode a program has to use AWE (address windowing extensions), which most programs don't. :)

Comment

I've got 2.5 gigs of ram and BF2142 loads insanely fast. Although i have heard that 4 gigs will slow you down. Not sure if its true.

Comment

I've heard about 4GB of RAM slowing down XP systems too, but this is not the case for Vista systems.
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

That review is a bit misguided about Vista being a resource hog. The reviewer fails to notice that Vista gives apps memory when apps need memory. For the 2GB system, Vista uses 784MB when doing nothing. When a game is run, the memory in use by the game plus what Vista is using goes above 2GB. The reviewer needs to explain this. Either the page file usage is being included or Vista is giving the game the memory required to run.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  That review is a bit misguided about Vista being a resource hog. The reviewer fails to notice that Vista gives apps memory when apps need memory[...] The reviewer needs to explain this
                  Yes, I noticed that too. But, I've seen that in many, many posts about Vista. Reviewers and testers just aren't familiar enough with the caching technologies behind the new OS yet. Shame on them for not doing their research first, but it doesn't really affect this review, which is pretty basic anyway. I'm sure we'll start seeing more in-depth technical coverage of the OS as it becomes more prevalent.
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse