Mouse breaking in WinXP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse breaking in WinXP

I've been having problems with my Logitech MX500 in Half-Life games (buttons "losing" bindings, etc.) so I downloaded and used the "Advanced Settings Program" from Logitech's website.

Things went well for a while - could use all the buttons in games no problems.

Now, for some reason, programs OTHER than Half-Life don't recognize any of the buttons on the mouse other than left/right click. And when I alt-tab out of full-screen games, Windows doesn't pick up focus and draw my mouse cursor.

/sadface

The mouse itself isn't broken - can use it on another system just great. I've un-installed and re-installed the Logitech Mouseman settings program to no avail. Am I looking at Windows re-install (yuch) or is there some registry hacking to be done?

It's getting annoying trying to browse with a mouse that scrolls one line at a time and without my "back" button.
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Re: Mouse breaking in WinXP

Do you use HijackThis or similar process editing programs for spyware? I know it's possible to delete entries critical to windows' management of the button configs with HJT.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Run both AdAware and Spybot regularly.

Comment

yeah, the auto detections don't usually mess with them, just HJT (in which you can delete stuff you're not supposed to if you're not careful)

I would uninstall, then look and make sure the drivers are completely uninstalled (like you would with a vid card change over) and then reinstall. It's probably remembering some kind of setting or something from before that's messing up the reinstall process. Also make sure the folders are actually deleted after the uninstall (they're under doc and settings somewheres memory serving)
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I was hacking around the registry last night - deleting keys related to the mouse - and it *looks* like it's trying to do the right thing...drivers assigned, buttons in place... etc.

Now I'm really starting to wonder. The mouse still works just fine in HL....

Comment

Try uninstalling the mouse software and delete the device in device manager (Start -> Run, type devmgmt.msc hit enter, look for the "Mice and other pointing devices entry), reboot and reinstall and see if that clears things up.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X