Vista With 4GB RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista With 4GB RAM

For the record, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit with 4GB of RAM will show 3.3GB free. This is to be expected as memory addresses above 3.3GB are reserved by the OS for hardware. Note: This is running a single nVidia 8800 GTX (which has 512MB of RAM). If you were running dual cards my guess is that you would only see 3GB of RAM free since the 1GB of GPU memory would be mapped in the last GB of address space.

Also of note, my memory performance index increase from 5.0 with 2GB to 5.4 with 4GB.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Vista With 4GB RAM

so what you are saying is 4gigs doenst really give you that much of a performace increase?

or am i completely wrong
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

He's saying with 4GB in they system, only 3.3GB will be usable, which is still a heck of a lot of memory.

Running x64 Vista will let you use up to 128GB. Good luck hunting for 32GB sticks of RAM :p

2GB is probably the Vista sweet spot though. (And ideally 512MBx4) My system feels a bit bogged down at times (when I'm running 40 programs at ones, heh) and could definitely use the extra gig.

Comment

yeah thats what i thought but then he put that performance index deal and i was all confused
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
          yeah thats what i thought but then he put that performance index deal and i was all confused
          Oh, yea that performance boost is probably more from using 4 sticks as opposed to 2 than the increased memory, as it tests "memory operations per second." If you had 4x512MB you'd get about the same if not higher. (depending on the timings)

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
            so what you are saying is 4gigs doenst really give you that much of a performace increase?
            Not at all. I was simply giving the Windows Experience Index number as a reference. In point of fact, I'm not sure why it should go up at all since the index for memory performance is supposed to measure, "memory operations per second." That should be the same whether you have 1GB of 4GB, assuming you are using the same memory.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
              He's saying with 4GB in they system, only 3.3GB will be usable, which is still a heck of a lot of memory.
              Correct. There were several discussions going on in other threads regarding how much memory Vista would allow, I was posting this info just to confirm that our assumptions were true.

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
              2GB is probably the Vista sweet spot though.
              I would say that 3-3.5GB is the sweet spot for Vista 32-bit simply because SuperFetch can dramatically increase performance with the extra RAM. Modern games like bf2142 recommend 1.5GB of RAM. If you have 2GB, that leaves .5GB for the OS and SuperFetch. 2GB is fine, you certainly won't see bad performance, and most users would be happy with it, but you won't be getting the most out of SuperFetch. And let's face it, the majority of TGers are power users who want more than just good performance.
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

lol 4gigs of ram. I got 1 gig in my XP and it runs fine.

Dude you should be sponsored by newegg so when people buy new hardware you can get a referral fee :)

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                  For the record, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit with 4GB of RAM will show 3.3GB free. This is to be expected as memory addresses above 3.3GB are reserved by the OS for hardware. Note: This is running a single nVidia 8800 GTX (which has 512MB of RAM). If you were running dual cards my guess is that you would only see 3GB of RAM free since the 1GB of GPU memory would be mapped in the last GB of address space.

Also of note, my memory performance index increase from 5.0 with 2GB to 5.4 with 4GB.
                  a gtx has 768MB of ram.

my memory is 5.6 with 2gigabytes so you could be using low quality ram. dual channel or not?....
                  Current member of the

Comment

ive seen people talking of the 64bit vista.. i cant seem to find it anywhere.. is it on the retail market yet?

edit: google ftw... Q2 07 is planned launch date for vista64 ( 11 years after nintendo jk)