Laptop shuts off randomly while playing games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop shuts off randomly while playing games

Sometimes when playing BF2 or one of the mods on my laptop, it will turn off at random. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable pattern - sometimes I'll play for hours straight without a hitch, sometimes I'll only be able to get 30 minutes in. The only thing I can think of that owuld cause this is an overheating issue, but why would it start only recently when I've played games comfortably for six months without encountering any issues? So, does anyone have any ideas on what's causing this or how to fix it?

Re: Laptop shuts off randomly while playing games

It could be heat. The difference now might be clogged up fans. Hit the exhaust vents of the machine with some compressed air. You could also use a temp monitoring program like Speedfan.

Comment

Be sure to really get all the dust out, though. I know that sometime soon I'm going to have to remove my cpu heatsink/fan, and my case fans and fan filters and wash or vacuum the clogged dust in them that even compressed air won't get out (dust gets EVERYWHERE inside the fans out here in AZ, even indoors....it's so dry). I've looked inside and I see solid BLOCKS of grey dust in between my cpu heatsink nearest to where all the fins meet. ANd when I blast my internals with compressed air, all it does is kick the dust up.

I need a vacuum, but I don't want to risk static discharge from it when getting it near the mobo and other sensitive internals.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

I would also check the system event log, it may help point you in the right direction, whether it be heat, bad hard disk, etc.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Like the other posters said, it might be a overheating issue.You might have a dead fan. I dont know how you can check that without opening the laptop up though.

Comment

One other thing to check is the battery. A co-worker had a bad battery that would cause his computer to shut off ocassionaly.

The battery would drop voltage or something and cause a shutdown of the system even though it was plugged in.

Just a thought.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X