My M$ Vista Upgrade Experience...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My M$ Vista Upgrade Experience...

My Vista Upgrade Experience... a true story... ;)

I wasn’t even thinking about upgrading to Microsoft’s new operating system, Vista. I’ve had Windows XP since release, kept it up to date, and my computer maintained weekly, so there was no need what so ever to upgrade. I was happy with XP, and never had too many problems with it at all.

But I’m addicted to technology. When I got offered to buy and download a Vista Home Premium upgrade for just over 100 bucks with a special discount, I said “what the hey?” and jumped on the offer. I told myself I would do it in the interest of research. I would sacrifice my sanity and PC for you, my fellow gamers. I would be your guinea pig. (Hope you all appreciate that.)

First off I screwed up and bought and downloaded the 64bit version, and when I went to install it, of course it wouldn’t work. I quickly realized my stupidity and mistake.

I was surprised how easy it was to delete the file and get a refund from Windows Marketplace; yep Windows has their own store for online purchase. I then went back and bought and downloaded the proper 32 bit version.

When I went to install the Vista upgrade, it advised me that I couldn’t continue till I deleted my Roxio Back Up program. I rarely used it but didn’t like having to lose any program I already paid for and had installed; I deleted it anyway and went ahead with the Vista upgrade.

OK, some of the problems I ran into during the install. (The install went ok, it’s just a few things weren’t supported right of the box, or shall I say download.)

My Radeon 1950 XTX (ATI driver) video card was found but no proper driver support, I had to eventually download it from ATI.com. (But till then it used a default setting.)

My SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card, one of the most common sound card lines available, was not supported; I had to download beta drivers from SoundBlaster to get sound.

My WD (Western Digital) “The Book”, a 250 GB backup hard drive was not identified, and wouldn’t work. I eventually disconnected it, mainly because I don’t want to lose my back up files I have saved on there anyway.

As a big surprise, Vista blocked Starforce after a reboot when it tried to load on its own, saying Starforce was not supported. (So that means later I learned Lock On wouldn’t run.) (There is an update for Starforce on their site.)

Windows Vista also complete deleted my Outlook 04 program, causing me too lose all my contacts, past e-mails, and my SimHQ account. I can only get my mail from my Comcast account via their web site. I have tried to re-install it and/or repair it with no luck.

Also in a hugh surprise, internet explorer wouldn’t find any pages I went to, till I disabled the windows firewall, so now my internet is working but my firewall is down. Yes, I tried to allow it in the exceptions it was already allowed, but still won’t work if the firewall is on. (I went to Microsoft’s support web site, couldn’t find my problem, so was going to contact Microsoft with the question, 35 bucks per problem, I decided not to.)

What did work:

I was surprised to see my TrackIR 3 Pro worked from the start correctly.

Fraps worked, Snag it works, my Saitek X52 HOTAS and my AV8R-01 stick worked.

All my games worked without problems except for 2. (See below.) (Minus the Starforce protected Lock On.)

I tested, and worked: GRAW, R6 Vegas, SWAT4, SWAT3, Armed Assault, OFP, GR, Raven Shield, Medieval 2: Total War, and all my Steam games. Of course CoH and MS Flight Sim X worked, there made for Vista.

The only two games that wouldn’t work were Steel Beasts Pro PE and VBS1… now understand, I believe they would work because VBS1 lite and SB1 worked fine. The problem is with the required USB hardware Dongles, both were not identified by Vista.

I have been informed of an easy work-a-round for the SB Pro PE dongle by their excellent and very helpful PR guy, Ssnake.

VBS1, BI Studios, the same people who make OFP and Armed Assault, and the product that cost me a thousand bucks has not returned my e-mails on a possible solution, or there take on the situation. No one knows of a work around yet. VBS1 and the support for its buyers IMO have been disgusting and a shame. They should learn something from the developers and producers of Steel Beasts Pro PE.

OK, so IMO Vista is just a bloated, pretty Windows XP… Windows XP is like a sweet, dedicated, and reliable wife of many years. Vista is like the dumb blond with a hugh rack. They look great, and a lot of fun and games, but will screw you in a heartbeat. How’s that for a comparison. ;)

I do like a few of the new Vista looks and tools, like the DVD burner, the new version of Movie Maker, and the way the files and folders are displayed. (Check out my screenshots with comments for more info.)

My final opinion: Wait till Microsoft gets its head out of its ass and cleans up Vista before buying it. Also wait till all the popular hardware supports it. Stick with ol reliable, XP…for now.

I’m going to back up my files again, format my harddrive and install Vista over a new install of XP. (You can’t install it directly, it has to go over XP, That’s BS! IMO.) Hopefully it will work a little better, cleaner, and more stable. If not I’ll gladly go back to XP.

PS: This is all my experience and opinion, Maybe there was some human error, or maybe there is an unknown work-a-round, but I should have been as easy as XP was to install.

Windows Vista Screens:

The desktop, got the date and time, Naples FL temp, and 3 pic windows that rotate...one is my family pics, one is my screenshot collection, and one is my desktop wallpaper collection:

The new start menu and explorer look:

The new music folder look, videos and pics look the same...nice and clean:

Document folder:

Start up screen with info in the top part of whatever icon you highlight, then click to see more...good tools and info:

I love how you can roll over a task in the taskbar and see a working version of that screen... if downloading something you will see it's progress without opening it:

I love the new. easy DVD burner... pic your pics or videos, pick a format, pick a title and DVD menu look and burn away, easy and fast to get going:

The new Movie Maker, pretty much the same but new and improved look:

Pictures folder:

My computer look and info:

and as a bonus, a few screens from the new Office package, I didn't buy it, but you can download and try it for 60 days... looks cleaner and more modern but still the same stuff.

Word...hey thats this article your reading, lol:

Check out the top options now:

Powerpoint:

Excel:

Publisher:

Thank you for reading.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: My M$ Vista Upgrade Experience...

SHhheeeaa, I just upgraded to XP.

Comment

i installed on a clean drive...i never had to install over XP

also, if you got Vista for dx10 and have an 8800, check out this demo released by NVidia to show the true power of the hardware -

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cascades_home.html

You can pan, and zoom and crap like thet...notice how it models individual water droplets...thats insane.

Comment

I take it you got a full version not an upgrade version?

What I mean, is that to upgrade from Win 98 to XP on a clean drive, you just put the 98 disk in to verify it's a upgrade... to upgrade to Vista from XP, you have to install XP first, then use your upgrade disk.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Not really Magnum...

http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1
          It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

M$ Vista will be gone in a week damn it!

Never no problems or lock ups with XP...

Last night during Armed Assault, teamspeak locked up then crashed, then had to do a hard reboot... same thing tonight with SWAT4...

My advise... stick with XP for 6 months or till you buy a new fully supported PC with Vista!

I'm pissed now...2 nights of gaming ruined. ;)
            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
              Windows Vista also complete deleted my Outlook 04 program, causing me too lose all my contacts, past e-mails, and my SimHQ account. I can only get my mail from my Comcast account via their web site. I have tried to re-install it and/or repair it with no luck.
              Do a search for *.PST and *.PAB on your drives. I'm betting that the files just got dis-associated with Outlook and are still lurking around out there someplace. Would be quite surprised if everything was deleted.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed