Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usb hard drive

I have a problem with a Usb hard drive.

The problem is, when i download files or move files from one hard drive to the Usb hard drive it freezes the whole computer, resulting in manual reset.

It could be 1 minute into the transfer of files or 10 minute's.

I have tried 2 different makes of external hard drive.

Differnt Usb port's

Complete reinstallation of windows

Any help would be much appreciated

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: Usb hard drive

A few questions:

The problem is, when i download files or move files from one hard drive to the Usb hard drive it freezes the whole computer, resulting in manual reset.
    Does the mouse also freeze or just the desktop (Explorer)?

I have tried 2 different makes of external hard drive.

Differnt Usb port's
    Have you tried different USB cables? How about USB memory sticks, do you have problems with them?

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

What other USB devices do you have on your computer? You could try disconnecting all USB devices except the flash drive and see if that works. It could be that your motherboard can't provide enough power for all the devices.
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax74 View Post
        A few questions:

Does the mouse also freeze or just the desktop (Explorer)?.
        The whole computer freezes, only way to get it started is manual reset

Have you tried different USB cables? How about USB memory sticks, do you have problems with them?

I havent tried different Usb cables, I have a printer cable which i think is similar, might try that. I dont use memory sticks so wouldnt know. I use Usb dongle with no problems though. [/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
          The whole computer freezes, only way to get it started is manual reset

I havent tried different Usb cables, I have a printer cable which i think is similar, might try that. I dont use memory sticks so wouldnt know. I use Usb dongle with no problems though.
          Dongle and memory stick are probably synonymous, what size dongle is it?

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Dongle and memory stick are probably synonymous, what size dongle is it?
            It is a bluetooth dongle for phone. Sorry should of clarified that earlier.

Comment

when the computer freezes, if you unplug the drive, does the computer come back to life? i've seen this a couple of times at work with bad drives.
              Last edited by Boogalo; 02-19-2007, 04:11 PM.

Comment

A few questions:
                1. Can you try different cables?
                2. If you leave the USB drive plugged in but do not access it, does the computer freeze up?
                3. How old is the computer in question? What is the make/model? (my initial thought is that the drives used may only support USB 2.0 but your board may support USB 1.1 or earlier.)
                4. Are you using an USB hub? If so, does it support USB 2.0?
                5. Are there any unidentified devices in device manager (assuming Windows 2000 or XP here)? To find out, click "Start -> Run", type devmgmt.msc in the "Open" dialog box and click OK. Look for any expanded branches with question marks and/or exclamation points. If you have any, tell us what category they fall under, even if it says "Unknown Devices".

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Boogalo View Post
                  when the computer freezes, if you unplug the drive, does the computer come back to life? i've seen this a couple of times at work with bad drives.
                  No unfortunatly it does not

A few questions:
                  1. Can you try different cables?

yes, but still freezes, but takes a bit longer.

2. If you leave the USB drive plugged in but do not access it, does the computer freeze up?

No.

3. How old is the computer in question? What is the make/model? (my initial thought is that the drives used may only support USB 2.0 but your board may support USB 1.1 or earlier.)

. It supports usb 2.0 i believe . Abit fatality mobo, amd 4600+. Early last years top spec

4. Are you using an USB hub? If so, does it support USB 2.0?

No.

5. Are there any unidentified devices in device manager (assuming Windows 2000 or XP here)? To find out, click "Start -> Run", type devmgmt.msc in the "Open" dialog box and click OK. Look for any expanded branches with question marks and/or exclamation points. If you have any, tell us what category they fall under, even if it says "Unknown Devices".
                  All ok, no questions marks at all.

Comment

How big is your psu (power supply)?

- -

Comment

I am not well versed as I would like to be when it comes to hardware, but I did stumble across a few posts of users on other forums having similar lockups when accessing USB 2.0 devices. One answer pointed to this as a fix:
                      http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=64936

*Edit*
                      Forgot to suggest flashing your bios to the current version.

- -

Comment

I'm thinking it could be a BIOS or bad chipset? It's one of those problems I'd expect with a ECS board or some other cheapo board, but not with an ABIT.

I think the answer to Lorax's PSU question would be good. At least we can narrow down the cause further.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How big is your psu (power supply)?
                          Hiper 580w

running 3 graphic cards(was freezing with 2 in, even without sli on and other card unplugged)

2 internal harddrives
                          Xfi fatality soundcard

Bios all flashed and up to date as of saturday.

Looked at that link, my chip is athlon not operton, not sure if that makes any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
                            Hiper 580w

running 3 graphic cards(was freezing with 2 in, even without sli on and other card unplugged)

2 internal harddrives
                            Xfi fatality soundcard

Bios all flashed and up to date as of saturday.

Looked at that link, my chip is athlon not operton, not sure if that makes any difference?
                            Does it freeze if you pull out two of the three video cards?

While searching for answer for you, I ran across a suggestion to put in a USB hub and put most/all devices on it, let that handle the USB negotiations... Good part is they are cheap enough, bad part is it requires an expense that might turn out to be fruitless.

- -

Comment

Does it freeze if you pull out two of the three video cards?

Yes it still freezes.

While searching for answer for you, I ran across a suggestion to put in a USB hub and put most/all devices on it, let that handle the USB negotiations... Good part is they are cheap enough, bad part is it requires an expense that might turn out to be fruitless.
                              Hmmm, might be worth a shot. Might see if i can borrow one first and see how it hanldes.

Thanks for taking time out to help. Will keep you posted if any developments.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X