Custom Hosts File: Never see webpage spam again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Hosts File: Never see webpage spam again

I've been using the mvps.org custom hosts file for quite a while. I wouldn't run my OS without it. It contains almost 15,000 spam entries. I have yet to see any spam on a web page when using it. Check it out here.

For those of you not familiar with the hosts file it acts as a sort of secondary local DNS cache. Any time you navigate to an URL the DNS lookup process to determine the IP address for that URL is as follows:

Check local DNS Cache --> Check the hosts file --> Check the DNS server indicated in your IP config.

The no-spam hosts file works by mapping all spam URLs, such as ad.doubleclick.net, to the local loopback (127.0.0.1). So, whenever you have a web page with an embedded ad in it the ad won't load.

If you want a web browsing experience with no ads whatsoever, this file's for you.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Custom Hosts File: Never see webpage spam again

Good info.

I used to use something similar but have since switched from IE to Mozilla Firefox with the Adblock Plus extension. It's easier to maintain, more flexible and has a subscription service so you don't have to edit the HOST file yourself.

Check local DNS Cache --> Check the hosts file --> Check the DNS server indicated in your IP config.
    I believe the first two are out of order, I believe your host file is always checked first, then DNS cache then DNS (or WINS if applicable).

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Yeah I was just going to mention the adblockplus extension for firefox. You don't have to do anything and it gets updated automatically.

Comment

Another vote for AdBlockPlus. I used to go the HOSTS file route but ABP makes it so easy it's hard to say no to it. :)

Comment

i use IE but i use a diffrent browser http://www.avantbrowser.com/ which has plenty of goodies to take care of all that add crap..... if you dont want it showing up just click. its a fantastic brower and i have used it for along time now..... check it out http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X