No announcement yet.

Do you really like your Medusa headset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you really like your Medusa headset?

I thought I'd write a review/overview of a recent purchase of mine the Medusa 5.1 ProGamer Edition V2 (SL-8793) Headphones. I'd been thinking about buying a set of new headphones for a while and saw this earlier thread Here which got me thinking 5.1 again.

When I went looking for some more information and images I didn't find as much as I would have liked. Perhaps others have been considering buying the Medusa headphones and will find this helpful.

Instead of loading this post down with too many images I have linked them all below.

The Retail Box
    Front
    Back
    Side1
    Side2

The Carrying Case
    Closed
    Opened (with contents)

Close Ups
    Headphones
    Mic
    Inline Amp
    Headphone inputs
    Plugged into soundcard
    USB Power Adapter (With North American Adapter)

I ordered them from: http://www.medusa-usa.com/

I placed the order on Monday the 22nd and received the package on Thursday the 25th. The packing was a bubble wrap bag in which the retail box was in.

The following is the English text Verbatim from the retail box.

Front/Back: Nothing of note.

Side One:
    Flexibility and performance speak clearly for themselves. The wide frequency response and flexible microphone arm create the ideal conditions for crystal clear speech input.

Included in the Delivery
    • Medusa 5.1 Pro Gamer Edition Headset
    • Mains Adapter
    • Adapter: 3x jack plugs to 6x jack plugs (I didn't see anything that matched this.)
    • Operating manual.

System requirements:

For 5.1 surround sound playback connect the headset to a 5.1 soundcard(PC) or a DVD player.

The headset can be connected to a games console using a commercially available headphone adapter (not included in the delivery.)

Side Two:

Four speakers per headphone cup guarantee the ultimate 5.1 gaming experience. The special layout of the sound units was specially designed to give realistic 360o sound.

HIGHEST COMFORT

The Medusa headset is really ingenious when it comes to it adaptability. The soft headphone cups and upholstered adjustable headband remain comfortable to wear even after many hours of use. In addition to this, it efficiently shields out annoying external noises.

The Medusa headset, together with cable and mains adapter, is supplied folded in its own travel bag. Separate pockets for the headset, cable and mains adapter ensure that everything is held securely in place whilst the padding ensures that everything is protected from shock damage.

The manual

The manual has 8 pages of written english. Some highlights.
    1. Don't use paint thinner to clean your headphones.
    2. The product may only be used in closed and dry rooms.
    3. A handy diagram to follow if your having trouble getting the headphones back into their fancy carrying case.

Here's some thoughts from owning these for a day.:D
    Pros:
    • The cord measured out to be just over 12 feet in length.
    • Comfortable fit. Didn't feel like putting a vise on my head.
    • Quality Mic, the mike boom is highly adjustable and stays where you put it. Unlike some previous models the mic can not be removed.
    • These headphones will get as loud as you want.
    • Rich full sound in games. As others have stated you have a easier time telling what direction a sound is coming from.

Cons:

For me the mic was not working out of the box I was forced to jiggle the cord up into the headphone to get it working. There was some play on the cord as it comes out of the headphone and I didn't expect that until I had snagged them on my office chair a few times.;)
    Yes, I like it a lot!
    23.91%
    It's OK.
    4.35%
    I don't like it
    4.35%
    I don't own a set.
    67.39%

Re: Review of Medusa 5.1 Headphones

Thanks for the post. I was looking around and didn't find any stores that carried them. I was happy with my cheap headphones until I started reading these threads about them and now I'm tempted to buy these. Post again after you have used them and let us know how they are.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

You can get them directly from the manufacturer. The official website can be found here.
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

You should add to the con section "These headphones are horribly expensive"

Comment

I like it, but what I'd like to know is where can I also buy 2-channel splitter cables (the kind that split a two-channel audio port into TWO two-channel ports instead of splitting the channel into two single channel ports), so I can also have my 5.1 speakers plugged in w/o having to reach around and disconnect the cables all the time.

Also, who also makes 5.1 surround headsets? There's got to be some competition here for these things (trying to find a better price here).

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brass View Post
            I like it, but what I'd like to know is where can I also buy 2-channel splitter cables (the kind that split a two-channel audio port into TWO two-channel ports instead of splitting the channel into two single channel ports), so I can also have my 5.1 speakers plugged in w/o having to reach around and disconnect the cables all the time.

Also, who also makes 5.1 surround headsets? There's got to be some competition here for these things (trying to find a better price here).
            Tritton

Don't think they're better priced though.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Actually, they are. Though I think that the icemats are better priced, but how much better are the medusas to the icemats and the tritons? (I DO like that the trittons have optical connections.....means I can use them w/o having to disconnect my 5.1 speaker system when I want to use the headset)

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

Comment

The Zalman headphones are the cheapest but they don't include a mic. So, you'd better pay an extra $100 for a built in mic.

PS: I glued a mic to my Zalmans and it's awesome.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The difference between 5.1 and stereo headphones is that there are four separate speakers in each ear-piece... for center, front (L/R), back (SL/SR), and LFE. It gives a lot more directionality to the sound.

Comment

Hmmm.....I like the medusas, but I also like the Trittons as well. Comparison between the two? I can afford either.

Comment

Hmmm.....I like the medusas, but I also like the Trittons as well. Comparison between the two? I can afford either.
                      I have the Trittons. I don't use the amplifier that came with them. I must admit I did not play with it much, but when I tried it out, I found it had way too much hiss for my taste.

I set-up my sound card to 5.1, connected my headphones and I use a splitter on the front speaker output to feed my 2.1 speakers when I'm not gaming.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I also have the Zalman headphones. They are very good quality and are preaty comfy. The only problem is that it either comes with a clipable mic or no mic (two models). The clipable mic sucks because it is never close enough to your mouth.

Solution:

a good quality stand alone mic and duct tape.

Comment

When I wrote the first post I was thinking along the lines of showing what you get from the USA site, alot of the reviews of these Medusa headphones I came across seemed to be a older/different version. Here's some of those reviews for the Medusa 5.1 headphones I looked at beforehand.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multim...und-Headset/p1
                          http://www.geekextreme.com/content/view/10494/20/
                          http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SpeedLink/Medusa51

Originally posted by Sir_Brass
                          As far as splitting the audio Belkin has something like that. http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_det...duct_Id=172232
                          Although I'd check elsewhere to see if you could find them cheaper as you'd need one for each channel out for 5.1.
                          You'll have to weigh the added cost of those over getting something like the optical option you mentioned.

No matter how convenient online shopping is, I always find buying some items like these hard because I can't always find a store near by to try them out first hand. The Trittion site does have a short list of brick and mortar retailers though,
                          http://www.trittontechnologies.com/wheretobuy.html
                          if you have one of those near you it might be worth seeing if you can test them out personally, along with any other 5.1 headphones they carried.

Originally posted by Sir_Brass
                          as a start try going to http://froogle.google.com/ and typing in "5.1 headphones" or "5.1 surround sound headphones"
                          you'll see the affordable Zalmans and some other brands that haven't been mentioned yet.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like the medusas are worth more for what little more one pays for them. I've been using the same cheap labtec headset for a good long while now (about 4 years), and I'd like the privacy of a headset but with the performance, clarity, and shear awesomeness that I get with my logitech z5300 surround sound speakers.

Comment

Radio Shack. Heck, you can split it THREE ways for cheaper than that Belkin thing that someone pointed out!
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X