Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having two computers use the same speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having two computers use the same speakers?

I have two boxes next to my desk. One machine I use headphones and the other I use speakers. I'd like to be able to have both boxes use this pair of speakers at the same time?

Instead of a splitter, is there some cable I could get that allows for two inputs to the one pair of speakers?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Having two computers use the same speakers?

What about a mixer? Here's some instructions on making your own: http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/20/h...e-sound-mixer/

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
      I have two boxes next to my desk. One machine I use headphones and the other I use speakers. I'd like to be able to have both boxes use this pair of speakers at the same time?

Instead of a splitter, is there some cable I could get that allows for two inputs to the one pair of speakers?
      You might need to get an extension for one side, but this'll work for you.

Oh, you said instead of a splitter. I'm not sure what you're looking for, then...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        You might need to get an extension for one side, but this'll work for you.

Oh, you said instead of a splitter. I'm not sure what you're looking for, then...
        Actually, I think that is what I'm looking for. A splitter takes one output to two different speakers/headphones. I guess the Y-Adapters take two outputs to one speaker system. Perfect.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

I do this by running Computer B into Computer A's Line In w/ one male-male cable. I can manage Computer B's volume from Computer A's Volume control panel.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I believe certain KVM switches also do audio, but they are expensive. Something like this:

http://www.kvms.com/products/F1DS102T.asp

It's kind of expensive since it is also a hub for sharing 1 monitor, 1 mouse and 1 keyboard between two computers.

Comment

KVM switches are pretty cool. Here's a tip if one of the machines runs Linux. Most KVM's switch by monitoring the scroll lock LED line. Pressing the scroll lock key in windows twice will switch to the Linux computer. Most Linux Distros don't handle the scroll lock key so the scroll lock LED doesn't work in Linux. You have to toggle the LED with a script. I wrote one for my machines at work that I can post if anyone needs it.

I can't decide if this was a hijack or not...
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Well, I was going to purchase a Y-adapter but I had a male-->male cable lying around so I used Wyzcrak's method (line out --> line in) of connecting the two sounds cards. Then I received my medusa 5.1 headset. This headset uses all ports on the sound card so I no longer have that option.

At this point I'm not sure how I would go about allowing both computers to play sound, at the same time, to the same pair of speakers / headphones.

Any other suggestions?
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

If you got the medusa home editions then there is a spot on the back of the amp to plug in two inputs. You couldn't listen to two computers at the same time but all you have to do is push the input button to switch between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                    If you got the medusa home editions then there is a spot on the back of the amp to plug in two inputs. You couldn't listen to two computers at the same time but all you have to do is push the input button to switch between the two.
                    This is what I purchased. I don't see any additional connections on the amp.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

This is what I purchased. I don't see any additional connections on the amp.
                      Yeah that is a different model. This is the one with multiple connections. Oh well. Good luck with your problem.

Comment

Any other suggestions?
                        Several of those Y adapters?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I went to radio shack to see if one of those adapters would work. They weren't long enough, even if the machines are next to each other. Anything longer was going to be a bit more expensive and i've read that there could be feedback / static that comes through when the signals are mixed without a proper mixer.
                          |TG-12th| asch
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...