What can you build/get for under $500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you build/get for under $500

My neighbor asked me about specing a system for her teenage son who has a $500 budget and wants to game (I asked what games, she didn't know.. uh oh!). I figure it must be possible to get a basic low-end gaming rig together. I'm wondering if any of you have some quick advice? I still have a 6600GT PCIE laying around that I can throw in for him, so don't bother including the vid card, just the PCI-E slot and a suitable PSU.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Re: What can you build/get for under $500

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/19/the-300-pc/

Comment

Thanks for the link but I think this guy needs more of a kit setup instead of a part-by-part. I'm not building it for him!

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
        Thanks for the link but I think this guy needs more of a kit setup instead of a part-by-part. I'm not building it for him!
        I'd go with a Dell, then...

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs $359, then toss that graphics board in there and he'll have a decent box. He already has a monitor, right?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've told him - go Dell. The only issue with the low-end dimensions is their power supplies don't always support larger 3Dfx cards..

Comment

I still think it would be cheaper and/or better quality to build it part by part, is there a specific reason why you friend doesn't want to? I guess you can always go to a site that builds it for you part by part.

Comment

Definitely, spec out a custom build. This is about saving money so all options should be considered. The Dell might cost a bit more but then ask yourself how much customer support is worth. Sometimes you want to not worry with getting stuff fixed and sometimes you want to save as much money as possible.

For a teenager, it shouldn't be hard to learn how to build a computer. If he's going to be using this for gaming, he'll run into a lot of problems, as we all know, and it's best to learn how to deal with it early. Plus, it's a great to know how to troubleshoot a problem in general. It may be geeky to know a computer inside out but it teaches a great skill in an enjoyable way.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yea, I had a Dell that I upgraded with a better card (like way better) and had to change out the PSU. It had a 350 and I had to swich it out for a 550. It worked fine though with the old card.

Comment

Oddly enough I have found really good deals at Office Depot....ESPECIALLY if you already have a graphic card which is always the biggest shortcoming. I built my rig and then ended up buying almost the same thing...twice (I have two kids) for about the same price at Office Depot. Under $500 bucks both times.

I think they tend to have the systems from a few months ago that are now behind the power curve but make a good high end business PC. Hit or miss somewhat but worth checking.

Comment

Dell $359 + PSU ~$30 = 389 + Tax
                    Not too bad considering YOU won't have to be this guys tech support. I've built computers for a few friends, but right out of high school I thought I'd try it as a business. I built a few for some strangers at $50 labor fee a pop. I gave it up really fast because I'd constantly be dealing with computer illiterate people, and I'm way too nice of a guy so I'd spend all the time in the world helping them out over the phone with using software. I used quality name brand parts so my computers were reliable, so their problems never had anything to do with the computers themselves, but they couldn't get a program to work, so they'd blame the computer. But in reality, they couldn't find the "any key" to continue.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      Dell $359 + PSU ~$30 = 389 + Tax
                      Not too bad considering YOU won't have to be this guys tech support. I've built computers for a few friends, but right out of high school I thought I'd try it as a business. I built a few for some strangers at $50 labor fee a pop. I gave it up really fast because I'd constantly be dealing with computer illiterate people, and I'm way too nice of a guy so I'd spend all the time in the world helping them out over the phone with using software. I used quality name brand parts so my computers were reliable, so their problems never had anything to do with the computers themselves, but they couldn't get a program to work, so they'd blame the computer. But in reality, they couldn't find the "any key" to continue.
                      BINGO! This is why I am very picky about who I build pc's for.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

I too advise people to buy Dell when I don't want to play support for them. These days that's everyone. If you insist on building then keep your eye on Tiger Direct's Barebones kits. They usually have some decent looking bundles in there though I have never purchased one myself. Different bundles come with different items. Be careful and read what all it comes with. Make a checklist of what you need and then see what the bundle has.

The advantage of their kits is you don't have to check around to make sure all the parts will work together, but you still aren't getting Dell's support :row__687:.
                        flux
                        [tg-c1]

Comment

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com if I didn't build it and wanted more than a dell, then that's the place to go.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Here ya go, this is what I'd do anyway.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?Base=2668606

- -

Comment

Here's my obligatory rant against TigerDirect. Check out the Better Business Bureau for more info: http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/

I'm not sure if these will work, but here's a report on the company:

Tiger Direct

Notice that the Federal Trade Commission has gone after them in the past.

Compare TigerDirect's complaints (over a thousand) to Newegg's few hundred (and AA rating). Considering how much more business Newegg does, this should tell you something about the quality of service that you can expect from TigerDirect.

Friends don't let friends buy from TigerDirect.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X