How to stop pop ups....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop pop ups....

I feel like a complete dufuss for asking this, so bear with me.

I have Ad-aware and Spybot (both updated) I also have Stopzilla and have deactivated messenger in Windows. I still get bombarded with popups and a new inconvenience that installs a search tool bar that I have to uninstall. And a very creative program that actually places links in forums that never had links before and the links are naturally unrelated to the forum post but are advertisements. I've had easily 5 or six pop ups while typing this message.

I've never yelled at a telemarketer, but I wrote at least 5 hate mails today to popup advertisers. What can I do? It's driving me insane!
    Last edited by USN_Squid; 05-21-2004, 06:26 PM.
    New to TG?

Re: How to stop pop ups....

I use a 3rd party Internet Explorer called MyIE it works off IE but has the best ad and pop up killer known to man. I hardly ever have popups or adds.

It does everything IE does even uses your favorites menu and remember's your passwords and stuff....

I originally herd about it through Tech TV.

This will also stop offline Adds and popups.

MyIE
    Last edited by Widowmaker; 05-21-2004, 06:30 PM.

Comment

If these are just random popups that appear on your computer when you do NOT have a browser open, ignore this post.

If you are suffering from popups that occur when you're browsing the web, I can offer the fact that I've been using Mozilla Firefox 0.8 as my only browser for many, many months without any complaint whatsoever. It stops popups. Not some of them. All of them (you can specify exempt sites.. for example.. your online banking site, which may use popups to your advantage).

Best of luck.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Download the Google Toolbar.. stops 100% of popups from my experience and doesn't interfere with squat.. also gives you instant googling capabilities.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I've yet to find a site that Firefox renders less-attractively than IE, but I'm sure they're out there.

If you enjoy the MS leash, I highly recommend MyIE. I used it for many, many months long before I found Firefox. It has all the bells and whistles of IE and then some, but also has some of the privacy and blocking features that make Firefox so powerful.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            If you enjoy the MS leash, I highly recommend MyIE.
            I didn't mean to imply that MS publishes MyIE, but it uses IE and has the same look and feel at its core.

Comment

My roommate had problems like that, including one that opened a new browser window every 5 minutes and went to a non-existent webpage. If he left his computer on for too long the number of open windows would cripple his machine. :)

We tried Ad-Aware and all that crap but eventually he just reformatted.
              [volun]

Comment

You've heard about the rest.. try the best...

Avant Browser is a free, fast, stable, user-friendly, versatile multi-window browser. Avant Browser allows user to browse multiple Web sites simultaneously and block all unwanted pop-up pages and flash ads. All opened pages can be easily stopped, refreshed, closed or arranged with one click. The integrated cleaner helps user to clear all traces and keep privacy. Built-in Yahoo/Google search engine enables user to search for web pages, images, groups, directories, lyrics, software and news in Internet. Program is available in 32 different translations.

www.avantbrowser.com

I think they are better than MyIE, Mozilla, Netscape, and it's got a built in google bar. If it doesn't catch an ad, you can add <no pun> it to the adblocker with a simple right-click and select. I've used them for well over a year now. If it does crash, it will ask you if you want to open the windows that were open when it shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                  Download the Google Toolbar.. stops 100% of popups from my experience and doesn't interfere with squat.. also gives you instant googling capabilities.
                  This is absolutely the best solution to pop-ups that I've found. Especially if you normally use Google for searches, as well.

Forget about slowing your computer down or wasting HDD space with a new browser, just get the Google toolbar.

Comment

I absolutely hate using IE. I resort to it when Opera doesn't load web pages correctly, which isn't often and is usually the web developers fault. I'd even use Avant or some other 3rd party browser instead of IE just for the features. Many include pop-up blockers, built-in search bars for multiple search engines, mouse gestures, MDI (multiple document interface) support, and loads pages faster. I'm comfortable with Opera because it saves form information if I go back one page or click on a link. So if I'm writing a post and I want to refer to something a few pages back, I'll go back and create a duplicate window. Then I mouse gesture to the original page and go forward to the post I was writing with my half-written post still there.

Oh, I'd start reviewing the pages visited if you're getting really weird pop-ups... You might want to stop going to those pages.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for the great responses guys. I've tried Mozilla Firebird in the past but didn't care for it much. I did have google search bar, but I must not have had the popup blocker on. I just dowloaded Avant Browser and so far I like it a lot...and no pop ups!

It has some very cool features like mouse gestures and tabs for different pages. Anyway, I'll post here again if I have more problems. Thanks again!
                      New to TG?

Comment

That tabbed browsing and mouse gestures that are popping up in a lot of browsers now are absolutely fantastic. In fact, I found a program that will let you do mouse gestures in any program.

StrokeIt Homepage

Yes, it really is called StrokeIt. I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with that name.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have used the google pop-up stopper.. works like a charm! As well as the Yahoo! pop-up stopper. They're both real good, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal
                            You never said why you hate i.e.? It really isn't a bad browser. I thik there is alot of stigma attached to it because it's microsuck.
                            Indeed.

IE is a very capable browser that is the obvious choice for anyone running Windows. To use anything else is to install redundant software, IMO.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My 2 cents; I quit using IE because of bloat and all the nonsense associated with IE. I've been using Mozilla for a few months with no problems. I suggest using Mozilla. I tried all the googlebar style kinds of programs only to find my system infested with spyware.

just from my experience..

Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X