X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USN_Squid
    started a topic How to stop pop ups....

How to stop pop ups....

I feel like a complete dufuss for asking this, so bear with me.

I have Ad-aware and Spybot (both updated) I also have Stopzilla and have deactivated messenger in Windows. I still get bombarded with popups and a new inconvenience that installs a search tool bar that I have to uninstall. And a very creative program that actually places links in forums that never had links before and the links are naturally unrelated to the forum post but are advertisements. I've had easily 5 or six pop ups while typing this message.

I've never yelled at a telemarketer, but I wrote at least 5 hate mails today to popup advertisers. What can I do? It's driving me insane!
    Last edited by USN_Squid; 05-21-2004, 05:26 PM.

• Overlag
    replied
    Re: How to stop pop ups....

thanks paul! Google toolbar rocks!

Leave a comment:

• HSantal
    replied

Mozilla. Works well, free, stops popups.

:)

Leave a comment:

• OSD
    replied

Google taskbar here. it has now has stopped 4990 popups

I must be going to some bad places :)

Leave a comment:

• Pokerface
    replied

Originally posted by Apophis
    No data mining at all. They get you using their search engine, which provides them with more advertising revenue.
    Well, there IS data-mining, but it's optional. If you don't mind not having PageRank on your toolbar, it's a free ride.

Google is TREMENDOUSLY upfront about that data-mining too: when you install the toolbar, this option gets a screen all its own, with nice bold print about what it's going to do and not do. IIRC, it says in big red print across the top, "READ THIS CAREFULLY: IT'S NOT THE USUAL YADDA-YADDA". :)

Leave a comment:

• Apophis
    replied

Originally posted by Wintermute
    Well it presumably has a data miner in it doesn't it? No such thing as a free lunch.
    No data mining at all. They get you using their search engine, which provides them with more advertising revenue.

Leave a comment:

• Wintermute
    replied

Originally posted by LOWDRAG
    This is what I use also.
    Cant believe it's free
    Well it presumably has a data miner in it doesn't it? No such thing as a free lunch.

Leave a comment:

• LOWDRAG
    replied

Originally posted by Apophis
    Download the Google Toolbar.. stops 100% of popups from my experience and doesn't interfere with squat.. also gives you instant googling capabilities.
    This is what I use also.
    Cant believe it's free

Leave a comment:

• =Sarc=
    replied

My Opera install takes up 240Mb but 195Mb is cached items in the download folder.

Leave a comment:

• Wintermute
    replied

I use opera and really like it.
    Pros:
    Mouse gestures are a must. One you have used them you will never go back.
    Integrated mail program saves a lot of time over using a seperate client.
    Has a google search at the top
    Blocks 100% of unrequested popups (banking sites are fine)
    -The above two cover everthing google toolbar does.
    Remember text if you flick back and forward.
    Much improved password remembering and form filling in help.

Cons:
    The occassional site doesn't work because site developers are MS biased.
    The mail client is weaker than OE.
    Standard size banner add at top of free edition.

It only takes up 100MB which is nothing nowadays. I wont go back to IE.

Leave a comment:

• =Sarc=
    replied

Originally posted by eternal
    You never said why you hate i.e.? It really isn't a bad browser. I thik there is alot of stigma attached to it because it's microsuck.
    It's a slow browser. I prefer using Opera because it loads pages faster, especially when going back and forth between pages you've already downloaded. It saves information on forms when going back and forth between pages. So I can type up a post, press back to look at something, go forward and still have my post there. Do that with IE.

Hate may be too strong a word. It really is a good, functional browser. However, it doesn't have some features that I really like in a browser, such as mouse gestures and tabbed browsing.

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Originally posted by xliipapa6
    My 2 cents; I quit using IE because of bloat and all the nonsense associated with IE.
    Well, that's my point. You haven't quit using IE. You may not be surfing the web with it, but everytime you look for a file on your hard drive, you're probably using it. It's so tightly integrated with the Windows OS that it's silly to ignore it, IMO.

You're not using Mozilla instead of IE. You're using Mozilla in addition to IE.

Leave a comment:

• xliipapa6
    replied

My 2 cents; I quit using IE because of bloat and all the nonsense associated with IE. I've been using Mozilla for a few months with no problems. I suggest using Mozilla. I tried all the googlebar style kinds of programs only to find my system infested with spyware.

just from my experience..

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Originally posted by eternal
    You never said why you hate i.e.? It really isn't a bad browser. I thik there is alot of stigma attached to it because it's microsuck.
    Indeed.

IE is a very capable browser that is the obvious choice for anyone running Windows. To use anything else is to install redundant software, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied

I have used the google pop-up stopper.. works like a charm! As well as the Yahoo! pop-up stopper. They're both real good, imo.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X