Vista Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Upgrade

Guys, I have been given the opportunity for a half price upgrade to any edition of vista. I fully intend to jump on it, but I'd like a recommendation as to what version I should get. I ran the system analysis tool that M$ provides and it says im cool with any version.
    I'd like to get it rolling tonight, so the faster I can get some good input, the better. Also, if anyone has any info on negative things happening with the software that I have (listed below with sys. specs) with vista, please let me know.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
    2gb ram
    2x400gb HD
    DVD+/- RW
    ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256mb (pci-e)
    Onboard SigmaTel Audio

Software:
    Office 2003
    Eve-Online
    BF2/PR/PoE2
    Steam/HL1 Mods/Hl2 Mods
    AIM
    Firefox

Thanks ladies and gents!

Re: Vista Upgrade

I'm having problems installing PoE2 into my bf2 mods folder. Says something about it can't make the destination folder or something like that. But my exeperience w/pcs and OS's in general are still noob level. i just load xp when I play, and vista to watch movies and surf. just FYI
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
      Guys, I have been given the opportunity for a half price upgrade to any edition of vista. I fully intend to jump on it, but I'd like a recommendation as to what version I should get. I ran the system analysis tool that M$ provides and it says im cool with any version.
      I'd like to get it rolling tonight, so the faster I can get some good input, the better. Also, if anyone has any info on negative things happening with the software that I have (listed below with sys. specs) with vista, please let me know.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
      2gb ram
      2x400gb HD
      DVD+/- RW
      ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256mb (pci-e)
      Onboard SigmaTel Audio

Software:
      Office 2003
      Eve-Online
      BF2/PR/PoE2
      Steam/HL1 Mods/Hl2 Mods
      AIM
      Firefox

Thanks ladies and gents!
      Ferris, I have Vista Ultimate and beleave me you should wait for all the drivers to be more mature. It's just not worth it right now.
      [TG] Rideau

Comment

Yeah, I've just got a purchase deadline on the coupon for midnight tonight, so I gotta make my choice, even if I dont install. Also, I think for right now, im gonna stick to the 32 bit version seeing as half of the stuff I have listed software-wise wont run properly on a 64 bit OS. I think im just going to do what claw did and dual install. That way I can use either OS I want.

Comment

All the versions above home basic are preaty much the same. Ultimate only has bitlocker encryption and something else extra. Home Premium and Ultimate have the media center while Business does not. Business and Ultimate have web server crap and Active Directory domains while home premium does not.

Ultimate has a crappy Texas Hold 'Em game too.

I have the Buisness edition (not by choice, I got it free through school) and it's good, altough I'd never use the media center anyways.

Comment

Buy as many copies of Ultimate you can get with the coupon, then return them unopened to Target (since they don't require receipts) for store credit at double what you paid for them! A friend of a friend supposedly did something similar with XM radios he got from Woot.com. They were like $50 on Woot. The retail value on them was $100, so he bought like 10 of them, then "returned" them to different Wal-Marts. He ended up with $1000 of gift cards for a $500 investment. Oh yeah, and keep one copy of Vista for yourself.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

wait for 64bit to hit the stores.... it is estimated late spring... and microsoft isnt gonna give u a cut..... upgrade from XP -> vista64 is same price as vista32 -> vista64.. ( or so the rumor goes)