watercooling question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watercooling question

OK after this weekend I'm going to have a good set of USB headphones. that will solve my onboard sound problem.

#1- question what do you recommend,, ill be going to Best BUY for them.

#2- after that well in a month or so i wanna go water cooling for my E6600 and my 7950 GT KO....

what do you guys recommend????? do they make water cooling for the mem also??? or is it not needed????

I've got a good machine here finally and i want to keep it that way :)

Re: watercooling question

With the advances in passive cooling and fans quietness it would be cheaper and easier to use passive or fan solutions in both cases.

It really depends on your case. I have an Antec P180 which is great for a passive(no fan) setup since 2 120mm case fans are positioned on two sides of the processor. It also has a "wind tunnel" for the pci slots with another fan.

Outside of the Scythe Ninja(passive) or ThermalTake Big Typhoon(fan), you don't get a wow factor on cooling your processor like you do with a water cooling setup. Google the afore mentioned devices or similar and you will find reviews of them going against water cooling and either winning or being an insignificant amount hotter than water cooling.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Personally, I'm against putting liquid setups into your rig. If you have even a minor leak or problem, you'll likely fry your entire system. Unless you're overclocking to extreme levels (which I don't understand why that's needed anyway, philisophically speaking), a good heatsink and fan setup should handle all your needs. I've heard pretty good stuff about the Thermaltake gear that Khan mentioned, though some of it tends to be physically large.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I've considered watercooling myself but I'm more worried about maintenance than leaks. Getting quality barbs and tubes plus special liquid that lowers conductance will ensure leak protection. Refilling the resevoir every month could be annoying.

Do lots of reading on what parts to get. It'll be a sizeable investment but a good pump and radiator will last a long time while water blocks will always change.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I use a water cooling system and I love it. It is quiet as can be and it performs great at cooling the system. I currently have my CPU and both of my Video Cards being cooled. It uses 3/8 inch tubing and the barbs are extremly easy to find very common. I also use a passive heat cooling module inline to bring the temps down even more.

I was someone who was worried about leaks, but that all depends on what type of coolant you use. If you use Ethylene Glycol (most common coolant), it is non conducticve so it does not even matter if it leaks, trust me I know..

As for the excact system, that depeds on your budget. You could go as high as $800 or as low as $200 for a Thermatake BigWater ($130 system complete and $35 per GPU).

Plus if you do it right, it looks cool as hell!!
          Pic1
          Pic2
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

so i could get away with it for about 250-300 dollars????

just one thing at a time lol. i blew my wad on this system and now its piece by piece till i get her the way i want her :)

then ill be working on after this, is another 7950 and or the 8800 series :)

Comment

Conventional wisdom says high end air (like those listed above) will cool better than low end water (i.e. most all in one kits), but a mid level water loop will beat high end air. Experience tells me the same.

If you are really interested in setting up a loop, head over to http://www.ocforums.com/ and check out their water cooling section. You can learn a lot with a little reading, including which parts to buy for your needs and how to set it up the right way. Be warned, that you will see a high level of disdain for "kits."

250-300 will get you a very good loop which will cool better than high end air, although unless you are OCing pretty heavily you might not need it. Todays air coolers are very, very good even for mild OCs.

Maintanence isn't all that much and requires very little work if the loop is set up properly.

Despite the fact that kits aren't all that great, they do provide a nice intorduction to WC. The Cooler Master Aquagate, an all in one kit, can be had for $37 after shipping and rebate at Newegg. It can be installed internally or externally. It won't do much better than good air, but it will help you understand how WC works and let you see if you are interested in pursuing it further for a failry low entry price.

KZ17
              [combat]

Comment

well i run a Corsair Nautilus 500. Kinda on the low end as far as water cooling is concerned, but it was a breeze to install and its very reliable.

Before my GFX card would run aroun 95(!) degrees C on load during a hot day. It always crash my system from overheating so i got the nautilus. Now that i got it running through the water cooling loops with my CPU its down to around 60C on load. Id say water is definately better than air.

Comment

From what I hear, the Corsair is a pretty nice little kit, especially since it can be modded fairly easily (if you're into that kind of thing). I'm not surprised that you got a nice change on your GPU since (I'm assuming here) you were probably using the stock GPU cooler.

"Low end" water will easily beat stock cooling in most cases. It's high end air and low water that are closer.

In any event, WC is a fun way to spend some bucks.
                  [combat]

Comment

I have a zalman c9500 (air cooler) and I wish it cooled 3C more. I can get a overclock of 3.5GHz on my e6400 but the temperatures go over 60. I would go to water cooling if it wern't for two things:

1) I am lazy
                    2) Its expensive

Comment

Zoopy:

Take a look at the Aquagate kit I mentioned above. Under $40 shipped after rebate. Easy to install. May get you the 3C you want, may not, but might be worth a try for that price. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, it's a nice intro to basica WC concepts. Also, if it doesn't get you the 3C for the CPU, you could probably use it for the GPU (with the appropriate block of course).
                      [combat]

Comment

<Looks over at Location to the left...>

Crap. The cheapest I see it here is $94 (or $79.92 in your crazy currency)

Comment

Originally posted by KestrelZ17 View Post
                          From what I hear, the Corsair is a pretty nice little kit, especially since it can be modded fairly easily (if you're into that kind of thing). I'm not surprised that you got a nice change on your GPU since (I'm assuming here) you were probably using the stock GPU cooler.

"Low end" water will easily beat stock cooling in most cases. It's high end air and low water that are closer.

In any event, WC is a fun way to spend some bucks.
                          No I had a high end Zalman Heatsink on my CPU and a high end 3rd party heatsink on my GPU. Both were very reputed. I was using a 7800 gtx. Im now using a BFG 8800 gtx watercooled ed. I have it OCed almost 20% and i still cant get it over 60C on load. Thats one damn fine waterblock.

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy View Post
                            OK after this weekend I'm going to have a good set of USB headphones. that will solve my onboard sound problem.

#1- question what do you recommend,, ill be going to Best BUY for them.

#2- after that well in a month or so i wanna go water cooling for my E6600 and my 7950 GT KO....

what do you guys recommend????? do they make water cooling for the mem also??? or is it not needed????

I've got a good machine here finally and i want to keep it that way :)

Cappy, to help you with all your watercooling needs head on over to Danger Den:row__523: http://www.dangerden.com/news.php
                            [TG] Rideau

Comment

Originally posted by Rideau View Post
                              Cappy, to help you with all your watercooling needs head on over to Danger Den:row__523: http://www.dangerden.com/news.php
                              rgr bro ill check it out.......

so much to choose from lol,,,,, i have some time though not doing it right away

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X