Help keep me busy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help keep me busy!

I am needing all the help i can get. I want to get back into the programming, scripting, etc... My only problem is, I dont know what to do. I have absolutely no idea what to startup. Some of yall know me from Monkerzscript, but i dont know what else i can do. I work from 4:30 - 7:00, and would like to use some of my spare time learning/writing script or programs. If yall can give me a couple ideas i would highly appreciate it.
    Allen: Yeah, you're right.
    Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Re: Help keep me busy!

Python is pretty easy to pick up and it is a very versatile scripting language. Here is some linkage:
    http://www.python.org/
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

You could pick up VB (Visual Basic) if you want something with graphics to entice you back into coding. If you need a VB compiler, look for the Microsoft VB Express Edition.

Also JAVA is a good language to (re)start on.

C++ if you feel like diving straight into hardcoding again.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks guys. I will take a gander at these. Would yall know of any project of sorts. Or anything needed here at TG that would be useful to our community?
        Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

www.rubyonrails.com
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Do some game modding or write a game tool using any language you want to learn. There's got to be some ideas there.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What previous experience do you have?

What is your goal?

There are many many things you can work on to learn, but I wouldn't recommend blindly picking anything. You should build upon what you know already.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                You could pick up VB (Visual Basic) if you want something with graphics to entice you back into coding. If you need a VB compiler, look for the Microsoft VB Express Edition.

Also JAVA is a good language to (re)start on.

C++ if you feel like diving straight into hardcoding again.
                I think Acreo is referring to VB.NET rather than VB. VB.NET is a fairly new object-oriented language released in the last 5 years, VB is a very old non-OO language and is not used in any new development.

What you should learn really depends on what you want to do with it. Are you doing this for fun? Do you hope to pick up enough to possibly do it professionally? If you are doing it for fun, then its purely a personal choice.

Python is a cool scripting language, but not very useful for building applications.

Java is a great object-oriented language for building apps, but the toolsets mostly suck so actually building apps in Java isn't much fun.

You can certainly build anything in C++ and the toolsets (Microsoft) are outstanding, but business apps are not written in C++. However, scientific apps and games are, so if that is what you are interested in then C++ might be the way to go.

Microsoft.NET 2.0 based languguages (VB.NET, C#) are the defacto standard for building most business apps. My preference is for C# because it was designed from scratch as an object-oriented language for .NET whereas VB.NET was somewhat bastardized from VB. You'll have people argue both ways, but I work in the industry and strongly perfer C#. Picking to learn .NET gives you more opportunities to expand your knowledge--you can play with web-based development (ASP.NET) or Windows-based development (WindowsForms, Smart Client). The sweet thing about the .NET platform is that you will use your language of choice, whether C# or VB.NET, regardless of the type of development. In fact, SQL Server 2005 is now CLR (common language runtime) based so you can use any .NET language in that too. And not to put too much emphasis on business apps, .NET is a pretty fun platform to just play around with.

Microsoft.NET 3.0 shipped recently. If you are into building really cool user interfaces this is your choice. The UI portion of .NET 3.0 is called Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). It uses a special XML language called XAML to specify user interface elements. So, if you want, you can build really great UI's using only notepad. And, of course, there are some excellent MS tools to do so too such as Microsoft Expression Blend or the next generation of Microsoft Visual Studio codenamed "Orcas". The .NET 3.0 framework is also based on the CLR, so you will be using VB.NET or C# in that as well.
                I've been doing some work in this area which you can find over at xamlXaml.com. Also, Lee over at The WPF Blog has some good stuff.
                Hope this helps!
                Last edited by Twisted_Firestarter; 03-06-2007, 02:35 PM.
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                  Good call Asch. Ruby on Rails is a great language. The only downside is it will never likely be pratically useful: very few businesses will adopt this for use in development.
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much Twisted...

Comment

You might be able to talk to Bommando about TG projects. I know he is very busy and could always use some technical help. I don't know what type of coding he does for the community but might be a good place to start. I know the ribbon system has been stalled for quite some time now. Just a thought
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                        You might be able to talk to Bommando about TG projects. I know he is very busy and could always use some technical help. I don't know what type of coding he does for the community but might be a good place to start. I know the ribbon system has been stalled for quite some time now. Just a thought
                        Good call. I'd like to see this return as well. Do inquire to someone here about reimplementing the ribbon system.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X