Router Port Forwarding help/advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Port Forwarding help/advice

After a few years of lazyness, I popped into Best Buy on a quest to find UT 2004 again. I saw a dsl modem there, finally, which I've needed for about a year and a half since the broken firmware update broke my packet filtering in my BritePort.

So I'm now the proud owner of a Zoom X6 ADSL2+ modem/wireless G+ WAP/4 port switch.

But I'm having some problems with port forwarding. My other modem/router before the firmware update was only able to insert 10 different ranges, which wasn't enough for what i needed. After, i was unable to forward any ports so i was left in a virtual read-only mode where I could access websites, play games, but could never host, send via DCC on irc, etc.

With my new one, I have a different problem which is to say, I can't fit all of the forwards I need into the tiny flash ram the thing has. Currently I have over 30 rules, like so:

And now it's complaining that the flash ram is full. It will stay there, but as soon as the power goes out they'l get lost (although i did a manual configuration backup to my computer)

My question is, how do you people do it? Is there some router that will let me add more than 10 rules at a time and be able to have them all for me to enable on the fly, or do I need to specify which ones (will be very time consuming for BF2/2142 for example, 2142 needs over 10 ports open just for TCP..)

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Router Port Forwarding help/advice

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
    After a few years of lazyness, I popped into Best Buy on a quest to find UT 2004 again. I saw a dsl modem there, finally, which I've needed for about a year and a half since the broken firmware update broke my packet filtering in my BritePort.

So I'm now the proud owner of a Zoom X6 ADSL2+ modem/wireless G+ WAP/4 port switch.

But I'm having some problems with port forwarding. My other modem/router before the firmware update was only able to insert 10 different ranges, which wasn't enough for what i needed. After, i was unable to forward any ports so i was left in a virtual read-only mode where I could access websites, play games, but could never host, send via DCC on irc, etc.

With my new one, I have a different problem which is to say, I can't fit all of the forwards I need into the tiny flash ram the thing has. Currently I have over 30 rules, like so:

And now it's complaining that the flash ram is full. It will stay there, but as soon as the power goes out they'l get lost (although i did a manual configuration backup to my computer)

My question is, how do you people do it? Is there some router that will let me add more than 10 rules at a time and be able to have them all for me to enable on the fly, or do I need to specify which ones (will be very time consuming for BF2/2142 for example, 2142 needs over 10 ports open just for TCP..)

Unless you are running a server behind your router, you should not have to do any port forwarding. Have you tried that ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have to use port forwarding for Azureus and BF2. And I only have a cable modem and router as well. But mine is Linksys and can do my Port Forwarding on the fly. It works pretty well.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Bisclaveret, I'd be really cautious about throwing you IP around a public forum.

:D hehehe
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I assuming the "hehehe' means you really do understand that the 10.x.x.x subnets are private, akin to 192.168.x.x...

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Oh, my, yes. Linksys lets me add many more, plus ranges of ports, plus I can specify UDP, TCP or both.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
              Unless you are running a server behind your router, you should not have to do any port forwarding. Have you tried that ?

DB
              If you play multiplayer games like Rainbow Six and Civilization IV, someone is gonna have to run a game server. So it is not uncommon for gamers to run servers. Plus if you have multiple computers behind the router, you may have to enable port forwarding for some games.
              -33rd- BaneII
              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Yes, there are routers that do what you are looking for. Do some research for manufacturers like Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, etc. Practically Networked and Newegg is a good place to find reviews for products. My advice would be to avoid a jack of all trades box. Your current box is trying to do the job of four boxes so the manufacturer is gonna cut some features in jamming everything in there. Plus one failure and everything goes out.
                -33rd- BaneII
                Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by BaneII View Post
                  If you play multiplayer games like Rainbow Six and Civilization IV, someone is gonna have to run a game server. So it is not uncommon for gamers to run servers. Plus if you have multiple computers behind the router, you may have to enable port forwarding for some games.
                  Gotcha.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

The new linksys things like wrtg54s, or they're wired equivalents, don't let me specify more than 10 ranges from what i've asked other people on irc about. The wired versions used to when i tried to bridge my old modem about 2 years ago, but my old modem wouldn't pass PPPoE info to the linksys and that made everything screw up. IMO it's a bit of a hassle finding a plain-jane dsl modem without a firewall or routing capabilities (heck, this is the first time i've ever seen a dsl modem in a retail store in the past 3 years. Previous visits to Best Buy gave me blank stares or they told me i needed to have a verizon DSL package to buy one..

I do a fair amount of serving, but it's for a small amount of older games, say Aleph 1 (Marathon 1, 2, and Infinity open source port) Doom1/2/hexen/heretic, Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, NWN 1, etc. If there was still any interest i'd probably try to set up a more or less 24hr Tribes: Vengeance server, but that game's pretty dead :(. I'm more concerned about things like BF2 working with working VOIP, etc, or Bittorrent or WoW working though.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

The new linksys things like wrtg54s, or they're wired equivalents, don't let me specify more than 10 ranges from what i've asked other people on irc about.
                      Huh... I just checked mine and you're right. I guess I was thinking of my old router...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I do a fair amount of serving, but it's for a small amount of older games, say Aleph 1 (Marathon 1, 2, and Infinity open source port) Doom1/2/hexen/heretic, Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, NWN 1, etc.
                        Good lord! Did you say Doom 1? And Hexen!? Damn, it's been a while since I've gotten a good game of Doom 1 in :row__523:.

I agree with what a few other have said: a multi-user box will be a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. One thing you might consider when/if looking for a dedicated router is that it supports Universal Plug 'n Play (UPnP). A lot of recent applications and games support UPnP. This will allow an app to request dynamic port forwarding automatically, without having to hard-code it in the port map table.
                        Twisted Firestarter
                        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                        sigpic

Comment

BTW, I have a Netgear RangeMax WPN824v2 router and it allows more than 10 port table map entries. I don't know how many more, but I added 11 no problem.
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd have to say Netgear is the best router for what your doing. It will allow everything your trying to do.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                              Damn, it's been a while since I've gotten a good game of Doom 1 in
                              I use the Doomsday Engine (a decent opensource, Direct3d/OpenGL engine port for all the doom engine games for windows, PPC proc Mac, and Linux) since it's really hard to get anything old like that working normally. It's a great engine imo, adds some nice things, although allowing jumping breaks many stock maps. But playing Doom with decent lightsourcing, anisotropic filtered higher res textures, and great remixesof the classic tunes (though you can turn all that cruft off) just makes my day.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X