Rate my Newegg rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate my Newegg rig

I'm putting together a new mid-range gaming rig and would appreciate some input if y'all have a sec.

linky

Yes, no graphics card as of yet - I'm sticking with my ATI 800XL for now - until I see what the reviews say about the R600 vs. 8800.

I have dual Raptors already and more CD / DVD ROMS than I need - I'm just looking for input with how well you think the MB, RAM, PSU and proc. match up. First-hand experice would be great.

Many thanks in advance.....

-Vlad

Irregular and proud of it.
    |TG-Irr|Vladd

Re: Rate my Newegg rig

You have the wrong kind of memory. Do you really need a premium motherboard? You could save more than $100 if you don't need all of the overclocking options and things like that.

Comment

Yup you need DDR2 memory which is the 240pin and you need to make sure to get 800mhz or higher, I think will work. Personally I don't know why those 680i boards only have one 16xPCI-E slot. I would think that a high end board like that should have 2 16x slots.

Oh and the memory you will have to buy is quite expensive, you'll need to add about $100.00 to what you have currently listed

This is great memory for a decent price that should work

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227159
      sigpic

Comment

The 680i boards have 3 PCIe slots, but I don't see why you need more than one for a midrange computer.

Comment

I don't trust WD HDs for my data. Especially WDs that spin faster than 7,200 rpm. Not known to be reliable.

I don't trust the CHIMEI brand name for displays either. Chinese brand?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I second what Sordavie said. Plus, I personally wouldn't bother with an SLi motherboard. Especially if you're not certain that you want to go with nVidia over ATi.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              I don't trust WD HDs for my data. Especially WDs that spin faster than 7,200 rpm. Not known to be reliable.

I don't trust the CHIMEI brand name for displays either. Chinese brand?
              And what's wrong with the Raptors? I have one and it's been working like a champ for over a year and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                And what's wrong with the Raptors? I have one and it's been working like a champ for over a year and a half.
                ditto ...2 years now on my raptor....4 - 5 years on my other 7200 WD...guess we've been lucky?
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                  The 680i boards have 3 PCIe slots, but I don't see why you need more than one for a midrange computer.
                  Correct it does have 3 PCI slots, that 's not the issue it's the fact that only one is 16x and the others are 8x. Which means if you do run SLI in that board it splits the speed of the 16x to 8x when running two GFX cards. I personally prefer the boards that have 2 16x slots IF you are going to run SLI. Just a little more performance that's all. I have the Abit An8-32SLI. It's ok but not real found of Abit to be honest. Wish I would have gone to Asus, oh well live and learn.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=310
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                    I second what Sordavie said. Plus, I personally wouldn't bother with an SLi motherboard. Especially if you're not certain that you want to go with nVidia over ATi.
                    Yea, I don't think I'm ever going to run dual cards so I don't care too much about SLi. Any MB recommendations for a non-SLi setup that would match up nicely with a 6600?

I think I may just keep hold off a little longer until the r600 is released and benchmarked. I can't tell if the previews are BS or not. I mean 2x as fast as an 8800? Is that for real?

As for the raptors I'll be running them in RAID 1 so failures are not such a big deal. The are dirt cheap (relatively) on woot.com - I snapped up a pair last time they popped up.

Also- Does anybody have an opinion on running an ATI card on an nVidia MB (chipset) and vice versa? Any pros / cons to doing this? (besides not being able to run dual ATI's/nVida's on a CrossFire/SLi MB and vice-versa).

Thanks again for the advice.

-Vlad

|TG-Irr|Vladd

Comment

Originally posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
                      Yea, I don't think I'm ever going to run dual cards so I don't care too much about SLi. Any MB recommendations for a non-SLi setup that would match up nicely with a 6600?

I think I may just keep hold off a little longer until the r600 is released and benchmarked. I can't tell if the previews are BS or not. I mean 2x as fast as an 8800? Is that for real?

As for the raptors I'll be running them in RAID 1 so failures are not such a big deal. The are dirt cheap (relatively) on woot.com - I snapped up a pair last time they popped up.

Also- Does anybody have an opinion on running an ATI card on an nVidia MB (chipset) and vice versa? Any pros / cons to doing this? (besides not being able to run dual ATI's/nVida's on a CrossFire/SLi MB and vice-versa).

Thanks again for the advice.

-Vlad
                      If it was twice as fast they wouldn't have DELAYED the release twice. Do you really need PC1100 ram?...

By the time ATi releases the R600 nvidia will probably be releasing there next version of cards (8900 series)
                      Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                        Failure rates.

I've had drives made during HORRID manufacturing periods for a number of companies. I still have an original IBM DeskStar drive that still works perfectly! Would I use them in a machine when I care about the data stored on the machine? Not in your life. I've thrown away 30 DeskStar drives, so just because I have one that's lasted doesn't mean I'm going to buy more of them in the future! :)
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

What Apo said. I've thrown out about 9 WD hard drives. But none of my Seagates are in the trash, still have every one of them and they still work as on the first day.

Eek. The older Deskstars are "crap". My brother's prebuild has a Deskstar by Hitachi (they took it over the last few years), so I'm carefully monitoring his system in case it crashes and burns. One thing that worries me is that the drives still have the "meow" to it.

It's not that the Raptors aren't speedy nice HDs. It's just that it would worry me if I had a pair holding important data.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                            Correct it does have 3 PCI slots, that 's not the issue it's the fact that only one is 16x and the others are 8x. Which means if you do run SLI in that board it splits the speed of the 16x to 8x when running two GFX cards. I personally prefer the boards that have 2 16x slots ...
                            That's not true, it has two PCIe-16x slots for SLi and another graphic expansion slot, which is PCIe-8x (So you could run SLi and dual monitors with 3 graphics cards).

Comment

Originally posted by Zid View Post
                              If it was twice as fast they wouldn't have DELAYED the release twice. Do you really need PC1100 ram?...
                              Well I only build a new PC about every 5 years so I like to future-proof it as much as possible.....is PC1100 really over the top?

|TG-Irr|Vladd

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...