HELP!!! Can't boot up!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Can't boot up!!

When I turn on my computer I get this long narrative that starts by saying, "Sorry for the inconvience......." It gives me the option of starting in safe mode, or the most recent mode that my computer booted up successfully, or just booting up normally. Then it gives you so many seconds to choose. No matter which way I choose it starts to boot but then a blue screen comes up and says the following:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time……blah, blah, blah

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789E524, 0x0c0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I should note that about three weeks ago I put in a new HD without a glitch. I formatted it successfully and am using it just for new storage. Nothing really on it. Tonight I disconnected the HD and went into bios and turned it "off". Still wouldn't boot. By the way, I have a Dell D8300. The new HD is SATA. My boot up HD is IDE.

I had an issue where a screen like this came up the other day but it still booted. XP told me something about a problem of some kind (can't remember what it said) but I followed what it told me to do and a windows site told me there was an issue with a Sonic program. It told me to delete it then install a new version or new driver or something. Unfortunately, my virus protection or something wouldn't let me. So whatever I deleted I couldn't get back. But, it didn't seem to affect anything at that time. I'm lost and frustrated cuz I'm not an expert. I don't know if this means my pc crashed or if its a simple problem to fix. But I can't get to desktop so it appears serious.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: HELP!!! Can't boot up!!

I had a very very very similar issue with my old Dell 8400 i checked everything and it wouldn't work blue screen everytime i formatted again and it worked. I tried putting in a different harddrive from a old computer since my dell was better but constant blue screens. i had to use the original Dell harddrive to boot off of.
    Current member of the

Comment

Since you have a 7B error and can't boot to the Desktop, it seems like you might have a boot sector virus or some sort of corruption. Since you have removed the new SATA drive and disabled it, that shouldn't be the problem (it was my problem in a similar situation...had to reformat the SATA storage drive). Follow this link to Microsoft for some troubleshooting ideas. It covers several causes for 7B errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

If you have another PC, you might want to try and hook up your boot drive as a non-boot drive and scan it for viruses and other damaged sectors.

If you don't have a PC at home you can use for this, then you might want to consider making a Bart's PE disc. You will need access to the internet and a PC that allows you to burn CDs.

A Barts disc essentially allows you to boot up from the CD with a "mini" Windows environment. When you build your Bart disc, you can add a virus scan program that will let you scan the disc that might be the source of your problems from within the Bart's environment.

Once you are in Bart, you might even be able to back up the contents of your boot drive to your SATA, but I don't know for sure.

Here is a link to the Bart's PE disc site. It looks like it's complicated, but if you have your original WIndows install CD and follow the instructions, it's really not that hard. Make sure you change your BIOS to boot from CD when you are ready to use the Bart disc. Having a BartPE disc can be a lifesaver.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Another solution is to install Windows on your new SATA drive, back up your data from the old drive, and scan it for viruses. If it doesn't work, then you might be stuck with reformatting the old drive and starting from scratch.

If, in a worst case scenario, you are forced to reformat without being able to back up, I have found GetDataBack to be an excellent data recovery program.

Good luck.

KZ17
      [combat]

Comment

Thanks very much for the ideas guys. I did check the windows website regarding this error but it was kind of confusing to me. I've built a couple of computers but when it comes to OS problems I don't have a clue. I guess I'll just have to take it in to a local tech shop. Unless you have teamspeak and want to walk me through BART or a repair/reinstall. I have a laptop to work from. I'd like to try loading windows to the new drive but I'm afraid of messing everything up even worse.

Comment

how about a reinstall of Windows..on your new hard drive...then check your old drive for viruses as someone has said already.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Here's a link to a step by step build of a BartPE CD with Stinger anti-virus. Just make sure you have your Windows CD handy. The whole BartPE process, while it seems intimidating, is really quite simple once you get going.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...Rescue_CD.html

If you don't mind losing whatever data you have on your new drive, you don't need to worry about screwing anything up any worse than it already is. I mean, you can't boot, how much worse can it get (from a software perspective that is).

Just take out the current boot drive, put in your SATA, put in your Windows CD and set your BIOS to boot from CD. You should boot into the set up program and just go from there. Since you've built before, I'm guessing you know what to do from this point in terms of getting all the chipset and other drivers installed after XP is on.

Then just hook up your old drive, make sure that your boot preferences are set to the SATA. Once you boot into Windows on the SATA, with the old drive as storage, install your virus programs on the SATA and scan the old drive.
            [combat]

Comment

Thanks again....I really appreciate the help. Will it be a problem that my Dell/XP disk (which I believe is just a recovery disk) has only SP1? Is it possible it will hang up at some point because of it being an old version? Should I just buy a new XP disk from Newegg?

And one other question: say I'm successful with putting XP on my empty new drive and I'm up and running. I'll need advice getting XP off of one of those drives...I've never had to do that.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think that the whole Dell/XP recovery disc thing might mess things up a bit. Not because it's SP1, but because I don't think those disks have all the Windows install files on them, but I'm not sure. If they don't then you couldn't install XP on the new drive and I don't think you could build the BartPE either. You can try and build a BartPE with it and see what happens.

A new XP disk would help a lot, but I hesitate to tell you to buy one since we can't be sure that it would fix the problem. On the other hand, it's nice to have one around for these situations.

If someone you know has an XP disk, you could use it to build your BartPE disk. I'm not going to recommend that you use that disk to install Windows on your SATA since that would be in violation of the WIndows EULA and I don't really want to go there.

I'm a little unsure about what you mean by getting XP off of one of those drives. Do you mean uninstalling it from the one that will no longer be the boot drive. If that's the case and you want to take it off the SATA once you get your old drive running, just quick format it and you are good to go. No need to worry about data loss since you will only have Windows and an AV program on it.

Same thing if you decide to keep the SATA as your boot, presuming you back up all your necessary data onto the SATA.

Either way you're looking at a reinstall of all your programs.

If you are not concerned about data loss on your bad drive, just pop in the repair CD, boot from CD and see what happens.

If you are a bittorrent user, there are a couple of pre-built BartPE iso disks out there. Just download them and burn them (as an image) to a CD and give it a shot.
                [combat]

Comment

I'm going to try to go through the console and run CHKDSK first when I get home. If that doesn't work I have no problem just buying a new XP disk and loading it on the new SATA drive.Then I'll just pull everything I want to keep onto that drive as you suggested then reformat the old drive--assuming it hasn't died. I do have an XP disk from a computer I built for a friend last summer but I don't want to mess with the copyright thing. I have the directions from the windows support site on how to get into the console but if I have any problems I'll check back here tonight. Will you be around?

Thanks again!

Comment

Not sure. Once I get home, the wife and kids are the bosses. I'll try and check in later tonight and if not, tomorrow some time. Good luck.
                    [combat]

Comment

I know what you mean. And my bosses are saying, GET THIS COMPUTER FIXED!

I appreciate your help so far BIG TIME. I'll just post when all is said and done tonite...you'll probably be in bed by that time cuz I'm on the west coast.

Thanks very much.

Comment

have you installed any new software???? i have had this happen to me and it waz always a new program that i installed. will it boot up in safe mode????

if so try a sys restore, go back a few day beyond when the problem started... if that dont work if it boots in safe mode un-install any new software you have installed then reboot... the blue screen of death is a pain in the ( ! )

if all else fails theres alway the total re-install of the OS,,,, ewww thats the worse one :)

hope you get it figured out m8,,, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by KestrelZ17 View Post
                          Unfortunately, I think that the whole Dell/XP recovery disc thing might mess things up a bit. Not because it's SP1, but because I don't think those disks have all the Windows install files on them, but I'm not sure. If they don't then you couldn't install XP on the new drive and I don't think you could build the BartPE either. You can try and build a BartPE with it and see what happens.

A new XP disk would help a lot, but I hesitate to tell you to buy one since we can't be sure that it would fix the problem. On the other hand, it's nice to have one around for these situations.

If someone you know has an XP disk, you could use it to build your BartPE disk. I'm not going to recommend that you use that disk to install Windows on your SATA since that would be in violation of the WIndows EULA and I don't really want to go there.

I'm a little unsure about what you mean by getting XP off of one of those drives. Do you mean uninstalling it from the one that will no longer be the boot drive. If that's the case and you want to take it off the SATA once you get your old drive running, just quick format it and you are good to go. No need to worry about data loss since you will only have Windows and an AV program on it.

Same thing if you decide to keep the SATA as your boot, presuming you back up all your necessary data onto the SATA.

Either way you're looking at a reinstall of all your programs.

If you are not concerned about data loss on your bad drive, just pop in the repair CD, boot from CD and see what happens.

If you are a bittorrent user, there are a couple of pre-built BartPE iso disks out there. Just download them and burn them (as an image) to a CD and give it a shot.
                          my dell's recover disk had all the files on it,,, but he will still need the drivers disk also and have to re-install all the drivers or the recover disk isnt worth a pot to pee in.....

have done the re-install may times with my old dell(the wife and kids have it now) :)

but he will need the driver disk to do a recovery. i believe the recover disk even has a fix like part to it where you dont have to do a full re-install, if will just replace the files that are bad,,, i think i seen it in there somewhere,,, but it never worked for me i always had to do full re-install

Comment

Cappy thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I have to do a reinstall. And no I have not been able to boot in any of the provided modes. I am currently in the middle of "checking and recovery" through the console. If that doesn't work I'm going to try and do a repair/ reinstall. I was tempted to take it in to a local tech. but then I thought...sheesh...I've built a couple of computers and upgraded others, I need to learn how to troubleshoot the hardware, OS, software, etc. That's where the real challenges lie.

I have a newer XP disk with SP 2 that I used on a new build last summer for a friend. I'm tempted to try using that to do the reinstall and then just use my CD KEY from the Dell/XP to activate. I've paid for the license, why not? I wonder if it would screw up because of the Dell bios/motherboard, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rammajamma View Post
                              Cappy thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I have to do a reinstall. And no I have not been able to boot in any of the provided modes. I am currently in the middle of "checking and recovery" through the console. If that doesn't work I'm going to try and do a repair/ reinstall. I was tempted to take it in to a local tech. but then I thought...sheesh...I've built a couple of computers and upgraded others, I need to learn how to troubleshoot the hardware, OS, software, etc. That's where the real challenges lie.

I have a newer XP disk with SP 2 that I used on a new build last summer for a friend. I'm tempted to try using that to do the reinstall and then just use my CD KEY from the Dell/XP to activate. I've paid for the license, why not? I wonder if it would screw up because of the Dell bios/motherboard, etc.
                              Still violates the EULA...correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't the software tied to the MOBO once installed? It might work anyway. You might get a phone number to call for an activation key. They might ask you how many computers have you installed the software on. Not sure what they'd say if you tell them you did a new build and are trying to use someone else's copy of xp...who am I kidding...they'd say no deal to that. Anyway, If it were me, I'd throw down the cash to hook up with my own, fresh copy of XP. Home edition now is only about 99 bucks and I bet you'd find it on sale if you looked hard enough.

PS...what cappy said about a system restore...try that first...go back a couple of months and see if that solves the problem...very well might.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed