Rogue Process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue Process

Okay i have this process that has been running for like 4 months. But its not always running, the only reason i know its runnning is because it will pop up on my toolbar and then disappear. Its just a blank box and then its gone, no name or pic.

Ive tried to catch it with my task manager open, but it doesnt open when thats up. Its random to, ive tried to check times and its just random. Im not sure that it isnt some sort of virus, ive scanned and havent found anything but that doesnt mean anything.

Im trying to get a pic of it so you can see what i mean, but its not going now..any ideas as to what or how i can get rid of it. Doesnt seem to be causeing any damage, just bugs me.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Rogue Process

I've had that before on some systems. The only things I could narrow down that caused it was my software firewall (ZoneAlarm), my printer's software suite (HP, Canon, and Brother at various times), or one of my various games.

And if I remember correctly, the few times I've managed to catch what the process was and the research I did into that process, I've found that it was a minor DOS window poping up when some .exe or other necessary process was run/accessed by another ongoing process.

I honestly can't say it has anything to do with hardware or drivers, since my last three new systems had different configurations and drivers installed, but I never saw that "pop-up-disappear" process again.

I don't think I ever had a serious virus or worm cause something like to happen, so I can't help you in that area.

I hope that helps.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

that helps alot. Its not firewall as its be doing that before i installed zone alarm. But i do have an hp printer going so that might be the case...

thanks
      -Vulcan

Comment

I would bet on the HP printer software (or something like it). At work about once a day a process starts and immediatly shuts down. My network admin told me it was the hp printer software trying to check for updates but because the firewall has that port shut down it shuts down immediatly.

To find it you can do two things that I know of.

1. Look in the scheduled tasks and see if there are any in there. Scheduled tasks can reschedule them selves so they may appear random.

2. Check out the services control panel and look for something that doesn't look right. I use http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm to find out what ones are necessary for normal operation. I then disable all the ones that I do not need one by one and if it stops then I know I have found the correct one.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Give Process Monitor a try. Set it to show only process activity, it can monitor registry and file activity too. That way, you'll have a log of every thread/process that starts/stops.

Process Monitor

Comment

Any luck in identifying the rogue process?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i beleive it is the HP software. I can live with that, i was just glad it wasnt some virus trying to dial out or anything.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Okay, that's good.

That helps me out then too. And I can at least partially confirm it could be HP software, seeing how all my printers currently in the room are Brother and Canon, except for a multifunction which isn't hooked up to a computer.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X