• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intresting ready boost in Vista...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/616...opslot;title;1

good article.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: intresting ready boost in Vista...

Wow, thats a feature I've never heard of. I may think about getting vista now. Well whenever the dx10 thing is fixed with nvidia drivers of course.

Comment

It's a quick fix for a less than acceptable product in my opinion. No thanks I will stick with XP
      sigpic

Comment

Vista is acceptable, Its just got alot of annoying security features. I only give XP two more years before its obsolete. I really don't want to switch, I've grown fond to XP, but what can ya do?

Comment

Ready Boost is completely unnecessary with 1GB or 2GB of RAM. It's better to spend some extra money on more RAM. It is a gaming system after all. 512MB was standard far too long ago. All this does is get you a few more FPS at the cost of tying up your USB key. It's not worth it unless you have a USB key that is rarely used.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

My current computer had 8 USB 2.0s on it. I only used 2 of them. Can never have enough usb ports.

Comment

uh what is the article measuring performance in?...
              Current member of the

Comment

Who'd be foolish enough to install Vista with only 512MB of ram anyway?

Nevermind, i know someone who just got an emachine laptop with Vista and 512MB of ram witha slow T2050 processor. (NOT ME!)

But its weird to see that readyboost with 4GB flash is slower than 2GB...
                Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                  But its weird to see that readyboost with 4GB flash is slower than 2GB...
                  USB access speeds < RAM access speeds

Comment

Discussion about this, and related, technologies from the developers.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=242429
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                      Discussion about this, and related, technologies from the developers.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=242429
                      That is a great interview. My head really hurts after watching the whole 48 minutes from the developer of the stuff. Long story short though was that ReadyBoost is working independently of other volitile memory and acts as more of an aid to buffer of your hard drive.

More so interesting was the the whole concept of a "smart operating system" that uses SuperFetch. Kinda neat that your computer figures out your pagefile based on past habits that you have as a user, it learns and remembers your preferences.

BTW, I tossed a spare 2gb thumb drive into one of my ports and it seems to run fine. I have yet actually run a performance test to see any I/O increase as advertised.
                      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I just upgraded to 2GB of RAM from 1, and I would have to say that if you are gaming on Vista, 2GB is a requirement. The difference is amazing.

ReadyBoost would most definately help if you have 1GB, would be less noticeable with 2, however.

More RAM is always the better option though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                          TMore so interesting was the the whole concept of a "smart operating system" that uses SuperFetch. Kinda neat that your computer figures out your pagefile based on past habits that you have as a user, it learns and remembers your preferences.
                          You can find some very interesting statistics on SuperFetch in the event viewer under Applications and Service Logs --> Microsoft --> ReadyBoost (yeah, I know it says readyboost, but it actually has SuperFetch cache information as well). For example, look at these stats:

Summary of ReadyBoot Performance:
                          Io Read Count: 16424
                          Io Read KB: 381702
                          Cache Hit Count: 14094
                          Cache Hit KB: 261343
                          Cache Hit Percentage: 85.813443740867
                          Cache Fragmentation: 9.73164044523991
                          Compressed Data Size KB: 246639
                          Raw Data Size KB: 419212
                          Compression Ratio: 1.69969530428013
                          Cache Size KB: 270991
                          Boot Prefetch Time us: 31929002
                          Boot Prefetch Bytes Read: 310747136

Notice that my cache hit percentage is almost 86%. That is outstanding and explains why nearly all my apps open in less than a second, including ones like Photoshop which typically takes 30 seconds or so to get up and running in XP.

It's even more interesting if you filter on event id 1015 and look at the history of the performance. Over the course of using Vista my hit percentage increased as follows:
                          • 1/18/2007 15.6%
                          • 1/20/2007 29.8%
                          • 1/21/2007 58.7%
                          • 1/22/2007 76.3%
                          • 1/29/2007 83.1%

The improvement curve is quite steep, which just goes to show that my usage habits are very predictable.
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse